Newbie with a new bike w/pics '78 XS1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe

Just in case someone hasnt mentioned it - there is a main fuse in its own little box over the battery (on mine) >Not sure if it fuses all power or just the ignition .
    XJ1100K
    Avon rubber
    MikesXS black coils
    Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
    MikesXS front master
    Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
    Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
    Progressive fork springs
    CIBIE headlight reflector
    YICS Eliminator

Comment

OK, only had a bout 30 minutes with the VOM tonight. I've got power to the starter relay, and power to the master fuse circuit. Key on, I've got no power through the ignition circuit. Any ideas? Bad ignition switch? where lese should I be troubleshooting this?

Even if the kill switch was bad, the bike should power up and the starter should engage, right?
      1978 XS1100E "in progress"
      St. Petersburg FL

Comment

kill switch

My bike will not crank if the kill switch is OFF . Did you check that remote fuse ?
        XJ1100K
        Avon rubber
        MikesXS black coils
        Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
        MikesXS front master
        Progressive fork springs
        YICS Eliminator

Comment

Axel, I'll have to go look at that. The main I talking about is labeled that way in the fusebox, not as a separate fuse. What model do you have?
          St. Petersburg FL

Comment

OK Axel, I went and looked-just above my battery is the air intake snorkel and on the left, a black rubber covered rectangular thing-several wires go into it as a bundle, It looks to be solid and you can see the sealing epoxy or whatever where the wires enter. Is this what you are talking about?
            St. Petersburg FL

Comment

Xj

I have an XJ . All our bikes have 4 fuses in the fusebox like yours (I believe) . I belive there is a remote main fuse on all the bikes but dont know exactly what it fuses . There are wiring diagrams on here somewhere . I will try to find them. They may be in a tech tip on the front page if you are looking .
              XJ1100K
              Avon rubber
              MikesXS black coils
              Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
              MikesXS front master
              Progressive fork springs
              YICS Eliminator

Comment

yes

That may well be it . A large (red) wire at either end and in a rubber box supported by a blade of metal attached to a cross piece
                XJ1100K
                Avon rubber
                MikesXS black coils
                Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
                MikesXS front master
                Progressive fork springs
                YICS Eliminator

Comment

OK, that is what I'm talking about above. And it is supported by a crosspiece. But instead of a big red wire in and out there are a bunch of small wires-they go back to a plug about 4 inches away that is part of the main wiring harness.

Normally a main fuse like that comes directly off the battery though. I just got my 1978 genuine yamaha shop manual today and went through the elec section looking for just such a fuse, since everything is dead and I seem to have good ground.

Let me go back and look through the manual some more and see if that part is identified anywhere. Still weird that I would have power to the "main" fuse in the fuse box, but no power anywhere else, unless it is the key switch thats the problem. Maybe someone with an E model can chime in.

Appreciate your help.
                  St. Petersburg FL

Comment

Ok

I got the XS manual out and looks like your main fuse is in your fuse box and there are 3 more fuses as well. So - my bad .
                    XJ1100K
                    Avon rubber
                    MikesXS black coils
                    Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
                    MikesXS front master
                    Progressive fork springs
                    YICS Eliminator

Comment

The 78 Standard should have just 4 fuses, all in the fusebox. Check for voltage at the plug to the key ignition switch behind the headlight. If no voltage coming out of the switch, the contacts in the switch may be dirty. I've had this happen to me, took switch apart, cleaned, and all was good.
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Axel, the box I found is actually the self cancelling turn signal relay.

Bikerphil, thanks for the note. I've been staring at the wiring diagram for about 20 minutes. your eyes start playing tricks on you.......

It appears that the red wire coming off the main fuse (where I have power) runs to the switch-and the brown wire comes back to the fusebox which powers everything up. I did not know there was a plug behind the headlight, was trying to figure out how to see what was happening up there. I'll find the plug and test from there. Its almost got to be the switch.

The switch was really, really stiff-thought I might break the key. I floated a few drops of light machine oil (3in1) into the cylinder crack to loosen it up, which worked, its moving freely now an almost make a click.

Just FYI, I checked my frame # tonight-according to the note at the beginning of the service manual I have #5397 (the numbering starts at 101 and I'm 5498). A very early model.
                        St. Petersburg FL

Comment

Kool

Yes, I see that in the diagram .
                          I guess it goes without saying that most of us have had to rework (take apart and clean and apply di-electric grease ) to every connector and connection on the bike . If corrosion is major (or minor) ,it is suggested . Also never asume a fuse or a connection is good - test them all . Sounds like you are on the right path with more than enough know-how to get the job done . With the Ignition citcuit being a big merry go round with a lot of possible stops on the way (red/white wire I think) ,just one little connection can do this . Even with a bad TCI all lights worked and my bike would crank just not fire on two cylinders ( which is how they usually go) . Good luck . Perseverance will win out
                          XJ1100K
                          Avon rubber
                          MikesXS black coils
                          Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
                          MikesXS front master
                          Progressive fork springs
                          YICS Eliminator

Comment

Does anyone have any tips as to how to remove the headlight/housing so I can get to the ignition switch connector? Can't seem to find it in the yamaha manual, will head over to cycleparts (one of the sites will all the exploded parts diagrams) next. Just wanted to get some tips.

Thanks.

FYI-went to the Tampa Bay ightning game and they actually won. Thank you nashville predators for being much worse than us.
                            St. Petersburg FL

Comment

Removing the headlight housing

2 Phillips screws on the bottom left and right of the housing. Pull the bottom of light bezel out, wah lah.
                              2H7 (79)
                              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

colored wiring diagram

http://members.cox.net/topcatgr/files/78E_79Fwire.jpg
                                XJ1100K
                                Avon rubber
                                MikesXS black coils
                                Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
                                MikesXS front master
                                Progressive fork springs
                                YICS Eliminator

Comment

Working...