another carb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another carb question

I am cleaning my carbs (79 XS1100SF), and have just removed the needle and seat below the float on carb #2. The reddish gasket that was under the seat is pretty much disintegrated/gone, but the same gasket on carb #1 was fully intact. Is this an indication of something, or is it normal to have dissimilar wear patterns? Can I find a single replacement gasket, or do I need a whole rebuild kit?

float valve gasket

Don't know why one would fall apart and the others are fine. Don't ya just love those PO's? Anyway, Bikebandit.com (name says it all) has 'em for $7.65 ea. or Mikesxs.com has the whole needle and seat assembly w/washer for $9.00. If your needles show any wear, I'd go for the new assemblys. JMHO
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Ok, thanks.

Now, I've got all the bottoms of each carb disassembled and cleaned, except the top of the pilot jet on carb #3 is stripped and I cant get it out. What should I do?

Comment

stripped pilot jet

Yeah, that can be a bit of a dilemma. First, soak it with some good penetrating oil such as PB Blaster. Then check out this thread below. It should give you some good options.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...pped+pilot+jet
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

Comment

Originally posted by adam79 View Post
          Ok, thanks.

Now, I've got all the bottoms of each carb disassembled and cleaned, except the top of the pilot jet on carb #3 is stripped and I cant get it out. What should I do?
          I had to drill mine out. Don't remember what size drill though. It was just under the minor thread diameter. I then had to pick the threads out of the hole.
          You can try to find a left hand drill or an easy out, but I have had luck with neither one.
          XS1100SF
          XS1100F

Comment

It seems other people have had a problem finding a reverse drill bit for this problem. i called the home depot and they said they didn't carry one. Does anyone know where to get one?

Comment

Snapon has them. Or use to. Matco may be anopther place to try.
              Chris

79 XS1100 Standard aka: Mutt
              87 Honda TRX350D 4X4: Old Blue!
              93 NewYorker Salon: Sleeper...
              71 RoadRunner 440 Magnum: Mean Green!
              69 Charger 440 Magnum: Pleasure Ride!

Gimme Fuel Gimme Fire!

Comment

LH drill bit

Any good tool supplier in your area should have somthing, or online link...

http://www.mytoolstore.com/hanson/hanson.html
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

Comment

I'm looking at them now. What size should I be after? 3/16in or 1/4in?

Comment

LH bit size

Whoa, those sound a bit big. I just looked at an old pilot jet I have and I think 7/64 should be the perfect size. You don't want to take any chances F'en up the threads in the carb. then you're pretty much screwed. 3/32 would be ok too.
                    Last edited by bikerphil; 11-02-2008, 09:33 PM.
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

Comment

sorry, typo, I meant 3/32

Comment

Snap-on carries a set of cobalt left hand drills and screw extractors.

Acording to the box, part #EXDL10. I have had the set for years and wished I had had them about ten years earlier. I've never lost a screw. Yet.

They were a bit pricey but the cost of not having them would have been frustration to the tenth power.
                        RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

eaze out has worked for me every time. Size #1 Sears, autoparts, hardware store
                          79SF
                          XJ11
                          78E

Comment

Sears also sells a handy extractor set with a left handed drill on one end and extractor on the other.I think the set cost me $20.Iused it to remove some screws on the rail but it didnt work for me on a pilot screw.I ended up drilling the pilot screw out to the minor dia. as stated above and using a dental pick to dig out the thread.
                            80 SG XS1100
                            14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

My preferred method. Make sure you have a flat head screw drive that fits down the throat. Douse the jet with penetrating oil. Fire up a propane torch and heat the body around the area where the jet sets. Be sure you have off the floats, the brass ones will separate in a jiffy - don't ask how I know. Once the oil is sizzling the jets usually come out easy.

If you've torn up the slot, its easy out time. The same procedure works just as well.

Darrell
                              Darrell
                              78E
                              80G project
                              06FJR

Comment

Working...
                              X