• Show
Clear All

ooooops

it is the midnight special im reffering to
    91 kwaka kz1000p
    Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

The XJ front calipers use a differnt mounting dimension than any other XS11s, bolts are closer together. If you are thinking "adapter plate" then go to the Yamaha R1 - R-6 calipers instead.

The rebuild <B>kits</B> mentioned are the same, the calipers are not.
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Wow I really opened up a can of worms here.

By the way we were talking Master cylinders, not calipers.

I'm pretty sure they are auto type brake line fittings but like I said to Prom, I'll disassemble it and find out for sure.

I wonder if it's standard or metric?
        Never scratch your head with a nail gun!

1982 XJ1100

Comment

I dunno, dy'a think it might be metric?

Comment

Sorry for heading ...

this thread off track. Talk of the inverted flare fitting and the caliper etc prompted my unrelated question.
            80G Mini-bagger
            VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
            79SF eventually dismantled for parts
            79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
            79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
            79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

They are 3/8 inch x 24 Inverted flare fittings.

I ordered, from DennisKirk, Russell Performance brake parts. I removed the proportioning valve and installed (1) a 3/8" x 24 inverted flare x -3 adapter (Russell R42833B), (2) A 18" straight
              -3 x -3 brake line (Russell R58213B), and (3) a 10mm x -3 Banjo 35 degree(Russell R40503B). I tightened everything up, bled it, and it works great!

If I were to do it all over again, I would order the shorter 90 degree adapter. The long one is too long. I would use a 17" line and I would order a straight 10mm banjo instead of the 35 degree.

As for the front, I had an extra front hose from a caliper set-up I bought on ebay [1982 XJ 1100]. So, I connected the hose to the left front caliper and ran it parallel with the right front caliper/brake hose up to the MC. Near the frame, where I removed the old (shorter) brake line for the left caliper when it was connected to the rear, is the double banjo bolt that I used for the MC. Bled both sides, and it works great too. A little sqishy, but I notice a lot more braking power from the the fronts now.

Hope this helps anyone considering doing the same thing.

From DennisKirk:
              Russell 10 mm (3/8 in.) Banjo x #3 Male 35 deg
              Russell Brake Line Tube-3/8 in.-24 Inverted Flare-#3 Male 90 degree Short Bend
              Russell Renegade Universal Brake Lines

Comment

Working...
              X