XJ Brake line question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ Brake line question

So I am going to unlink my XJ brakes and after reading almost all the posts about this I think I have a plan of action....However, I need one little piece of info.

Can someone please identify the circled connectors in the pic?

I intend to remove the P-valve entirely and run a SS line directly from the top outlet on the master cylinder to the rear brake cylinder, but I need to know what TYPE and SIZE of fitting it is. Then I just need to order the correct fitting to attach to the SS brake line.

As a last resort I will drill and tap that hole to accept a 10mmx1.25 banjo bolt (unless it already is 10mmx1.25) and just use standard banjo fittings on the SS line.

Thanks in advance.
    Never scratch your head with a nail gun!

1982 XJ1100

Anyone?

1982 XJ1100

Comment

"Sorry..."

Not an answer that we usually have on the tops of our heads.
      I don't have a bloody clue what size it is.
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Oh well it was worth a shot. I'll just disassemble it and take to the HW store and use one of their sizers.

Thanks anyways.

1982 XJ1100

Comment

It's obvious from the look of it that it's not a regular 10mm banjo, it's a compression fitting. That means the threads in the hole don't go very deep, that fitting bottoms out into a flare. There are adapters made by Russel and Earls that can convert it, or, you can get a line made up with that end duplicating the compression fitting.

I wouldn't attempt drilling and tapping it for a banjo unless you figure out some way to mill the face to provide a sealing surface for the crush washers, otherwise it will leak.

Comment

Throw it away and use an XS item instead?

Plenty go cheap on ebay..
            '84 Sport

Comment

Shappers, that would be too easy!

Comment

Throw it away and use an XS item instead?
                The XJ caliper and the XS mount to the frame differently and won't work. It would change the angle on that the pushrod on your brake pedal that operates the caliper.

I wish it was that easy... XS caliper rebuild kits are still available.. XJ ones aren't.

I guess you could go drastic and cut the mounting holes on the frame and weld some up for the XS's caliper.. but short of something drastic like that, we're stuck with ours.

Tod
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Oops, sorry but it looked the same
                  '84 Sport

Comment

"....XS caliper rebuild kits are still available.. XJ ones aren't. ...."

So, Tod, have you tried to order any of these caliper kits for an Xj? Bike Bandit still shows them in their catalogue but says that can't tell for sure until an actual order is placed? I'm currently thinking about an XJ that needs a brake system overhaul.

In your opinion, could that be one of those unclosable cans of worms?
                    80G Mini-bagger
                    VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
                    79SF eventually dismantled for parts
                    79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
                    79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
                    79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

Interesting, didn't know they mounted differently. How hard could it be to fabricate an adapter plate? I can already hear TC's workshop spinning up and popping out adapters.

Comment

That fitting is an inverted flare, just like the type used on cars.
                        As far as caliper kits go, the rear caliper on an XJ is the same as the fronts on a Special, so those kits are available, and I believe the fronts caliper pistons are the same size as the fronts on a Special, so the kit for a Special should work also.

Comment

special

I looked at the yamaha parts fiche and the calipers are the same as a 81sh in the front, I didnt check the back
                          91 kwaka kz1000p
                          Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

Garth

Did you mean the XJ calipers are the same as the 81 LH (MNS) or the 81 SH? We have an SH and the calipers are the same as the SG. The 81 MNS has a linked brake system, just like the XJ, so it is possible that the 81 LH calipers are the same as the XJ.

Comment

oops

i meant to type sh
                              91 kwaka kz1000p
                              Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

Working...
                              X