No announcement yet.

What tires do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For you E3 guys, do you notice a lot of tread noise the further out you get on the tire. Brother in law just put a set on his Royal Star Venture and the first thing he noticed was noisey turns.
    80 SG
    81 SH in parts
    99 ST1100
    91 ST1100

Comment

Modern tires carry more air then the old ones used to, always air up up to what the tire manufacture puts on the tire not what your manual says. I run Conti's and run their recommended pressures. They are a good high mileage rain tire, but the shops hate them because they are 6 ply and hard to mount with the bead locks, so remember to take along some beer for the guys at the shop, they'll earn it.
      Fastmover
      "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
      lion". SHL
      78 XS1100e

Comment

"always air up up to what the tire manufacture puts on the tire"

Wrongo!
        the pressure marked on the tire is the maximum it should be run at. It's also the pressure at which the tire will carry the max load that's marked right next to it.
        If the tire's share of the combined bike & passenger weight is equal to that max load, yes, the max pressure should be used. If it's not, you are running over-inflated.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

The last time I weighed myself and my bike our combined weight was over 900 lbs. so I don't think max tire pressure is too far off. And if you check with most shops they will recommend max pressure. also front tire cupping is most often caused by low air pressure.
          Fastmover
          "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
          lion". SHL
          78 XS1100e

Comment

Avon roadrunners. Were on the bike when I bought it, and they have worked well.
            Helmets save lives. Loud pipes hurt my ears.

Comment

Dunlop K491 and I hate them they slip in the wet and track every line in the pavement. I tossed a Conti Blitz on the front when the Elite II craped out at 6000 miles and it's a better tire. The rear has 10K on it and is shot. New tires ordered today were Conti Tours. And a back up set of Avon Gangsters. Just in case I get the urge to go Wide White.
              I hate signatures. Too many cars and Bikes to list here.

Comment

Can't beat the Conti tour's wet or dry. I am getting ready to order my second set.

The rear is a bear to install on the 78 w/bead locks but that is the way it is.
                1967 Bultaco Metralla 250
                RD125
                1973 CT3 175
                78 XS1100E
                80 XS850SG

Comment

I'll soon be on about my 5th pair of Dunlop GT501 tires. They're great in the twisties and in the rain.
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

You got it Fred, and while car tires are 3psi higher than in the 'old days' Bike tires have not gone the same route.
                    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

I'm running Dunlop 404's.They work fairly well.Dont stick as well as I'd like but they have over 3000 miles on them and still look new.
                      80 SG XS1100
                      14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Bridgestone Spitfires on both bikes!

Work well and wear well.
                        Paul
                        1983 XJ1100 Maxim
                        1979 XS1100 Standard
                        1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

I have found the Bridgestone spitfires to be very slick on wet Kansas roads.
                          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

When I inherited this bike from a buddy that passed last year it had brand new Metzler Marathon 880 rubber. They still had the nubs on. 140/90 on the rear, which is about as fat as you can go (almost rubs on drive shaft). I've only ridden it about 300 miles since it's finally dialed in and they do handle great. Here's hoping they wear well. Weather's getting wet now so I sure see how they do in the wet.
                            1979 XS 1100 SF(16k now, more to come)
                            140 mains, 42.5 pilots, drilled airbox w/uni fliter
                            MikesXS Coils- bypassed ballast resistor- new wires
                            1975 GL1000 Gold Wing(81k-Old Faithful) and another 75 GL1000 project. MBS sickness for sure.
                            Other Bikes Iv'e owned:
                            1979 Kawasaki 750 LTD
                            1980 Kawasaki 125 Enduro
                            1975 Honda 400f
                            1976 Honda CB360
                            1968 Honda 160

Comment

I put on the bridgestone battlax and like em.
                              1982 XJ1100J

Schwin 26"...2 flat tires.

http://www.2carpros.com/affiliate/uid/servicewriter_1

Comment

I use Kenda Challangers they are$100 a set and handle and wear great!

Comment

Working...
                                X