Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shifting w/out using the clutch

Hi,
    Does anybody shift w/out using the clutch on a regular basis? It seems to me that it would be somewhat stressfull on the hardware. The PO and others have told me you can do it. And it seems to me that if the clutch cable ever breaks... it may be an alternative to get you home.
    If it can be done without damage, what is the proper way to do it?
    I was told to shift only when you've taken the load off the engine. If so, how far down must the RPMs be to shift w/out grinding the gears?
    BTW - I don't expect to be doing this on a regular basis, but I'm curious in case I have to do it.
    Thanks
    1980G Standard, Restored
    Kerker 4 - 1
    850 Rear End Mod
    2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
    Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
    Automatic CCT
    1980GH Special, Restored
    Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
    '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
    Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

XS tranny seems to be very forgiving despite some having to do the second gear fix etc..

When arthritis kicks in I shift some without the clutch.
    As I'm accelerating I roll off the throttle some and shift. Can go up or down. Do it without really thinking about it. Does not seem to have had any negative consequences on any of my XSes so far.
    Have not tried to get going from a dead stop tho

mro

Comment

That's good to know.
      I've also wondered about starting from a dead stop??!!
      Is the starter strong enough to get it going with some pushing assistance. As long as your battery is charged and has good reserve... I've hit the starter button a couple of times when it was in gear and it lurched forward quite powerfully.
      I mean if you can get it started and going in first gear you should be able to continue on your way even if you have to shift w/out the clutch.

Thanks MRO
      1980G Standard, Restored
      Kerker 4 - 1
      850 Rear End Mod
      2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
      Automatic CCT
      1980GH Special, Restored
      Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
      '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
      Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

BTDT,

Rode home 25 miles without a clutch cable, not bad on the highway, city traffic was tricky, had to shut down at red lights.

If you blip the throttle a bit, you can shift without the clutch. Blip down for upshifts, blip up for downshifts.

Comment

Randy,

How did you get going from the dead stops at red lights?
          1980G Standard, Restored
          Kerker 4 - 1
          850 Rear End Mod
          Automatic CCT
          1980GH Special, Restored
          '82 XJ1100 (Sold)

Comment

Hung on tight!

First gear, hit the starter button - ZOOM

Comment

I have had to do the no clutch shifts before on a bike....it was a dirt bike worked good. I am an expert at in in trucks and cars.... as some have said above just let off to shift up and rev up to shift down. The first ocasion i did this was on my 68 f-100 with a 390 backed by a 4 speed. I launched off the starting line and poped the throughout fork off....whooops.....drove it home. I have done it to many cars from Merkur's to MG's to old farm trucks.....as long as you dont bang the gears you'll be alright.
              1979 XS1100 SF "Black Goblin"
              -Pod Filters
              -4-1 pipe
              -larger jets for carbs
              1982 XJ1100 "Black Sheep"

Comment

I think this is valuable information in case, or when, the time comes that something breaks and we all may have to deal with it.
                Great input.
                1980G Standard, Restored
                Kerker 4 - 1
                850 Rear End Mod
                Automatic CCT
                1980GH Special, Restored
                '82 XJ1100 (Sold)

Comment

Of course, it only happens once in a lifetime, after that you take very good care of your clutch cable, RIGHT?

Comment

Hell, I've got an IV drip with KY flowing into it.
                    Just to keep it happy...
                    1980G Standard, Restored
                    Kerker 4 - 1
                    850 Rear End Mod
                    Automatic CCT
                    1980GH Special, Restored
                    '82 XJ1100 (Sold)

Comment

of course.....got lucky though...i didnt have to pull the tranny to put the fork back on, there was an acess panel on the bottom of the bell housing.
                      -Pod Filters
                      -4-1 pipe
                      -larger jets for carbs

Comment

First gear, hit the starter button - ZOOM

Few years ago showing off how well I got my 80G running to my dad in his driveway.
                        Standing next to bike, insert key, hit start button...
                        Bike fires right up and goes about six feet before falling over
                        Dad was very impressed

mro

Comment

The first week I had mine, I got off it with the engine still running and the clutch in. When I reached for the key I let the clutch out...... Lucky for me I was able to hold it and it stalled. Had this not happened it would have fallen over because I also had failed to deploy the kickstand!!!
                          Now, no matter what, the routine is put it in neutral, deploy kickstand, let clutch out, key off, and get off.
                          Seem simple enough and it becomes second nature but when you hadn't ridden in 30 yrs...
                          1980G Standard, Restored
                          Kerker 4 - 1
                          850 Rear End Mod
                          Automatic CCT
                          1980GH Special, Restored
                          '82 XJ1100 (Sold)

Comment

you guys need to hear what my brother did on his XS.....the bike literally took off at 40mph and hit the house....he is CLOERTS on the fourm. im sure we can get him to chime in here.
                            -Pod Filters
                            -4-1 pipe
                            -larger jets for carbs

Comment

Can't wait to hear this story... Please get him to tell it.
                              40 MPH and slammed into the house..
                              1980G Standard, Restored
                              Kerker 4 - 1
                              850 Rear End Mod
                              Automatic CCT
                              1980GH Special, Restored
                              '82 XJ1100 (Sold)

Comment

Working...
                              X