No announcement yet.

Shifting w/out using the clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I may be a bit off on the speed but it was not good. I was in Brasil at the time so i didnt get to enjoy it as much.
    1979 XS1100 SF "Black Goblin"
    -Pod Filters
    -4-1 pipe
    -larger jets for carbs
    1982 XJ1100 "Black Sheep"

Comment

My step Dad said that if God would have wanted you to shift with out a clutch He would have made an automatic transmition. Oh wait He did.
      81 SH (SHotgun Special)
      110 mains
      idle jets 2.5 turns
      floats at 24mm

You live, You learn, then Die and Forget it all

Comment

The long overdue story

Originally posted by geniusloerts View Post
        you guys need to hear what my brother did on his XS.....the bike literally took off at 40mph and hit the house....he is CLOERTS on the fourm. im sure we can get him to chime in here.
        OK so here's the story.(well overdue) I had had the bike for maybe a couple of months (my first motorcycle, EVER mind you) and I was switching out the buckhorns for some lower shorter sportier handlebars. Well, I was all excited to finally ride my bike at a more comfortable wrist/elbow angle, so I made a big deal of the switch. SWMBO and cloerts jr. (3 at the time I think) came out to the front of the house to have a look at the newly improved Frankenbike.

I started her up in neutral as I always do. The engine started fine, but then as it warmed up it also revved up. "No big deal" I think "the throttle cables just a little tight thats all, I'll adjust it after I get back from a short test ride." so SWMBO and jr. are looking at me sitting on the bike. SWMBO has a moment of intuition (bless her) and herds jr away from the front of the over revving motorcycle, and off to the side. I pulled in the clutch and knowing that 1st gear was pretty much shot, I shifted into 2nd. It never occurred to me that the clutch cable needed to be adjusted also.

To my great surprise the bike shot out from under me in 2nd at about 5000rpm (the rear flashers by the way hit the backs of my legs and left bruises that lasted a few weeks) did a wheelie for about 50 feet and knocked 3 bricks out of the corner of the house before careening onto it's side.

I quickly ran to the bike and turned off the ignition. SWMBO was shocked, but not concerned. (she is, after all, married to a big old ranch boy) jr. on the hand screamed this at the top of his lungs, "My motorcycle is broken, and my papa is going to die!!!" he then began to ball his eyes out. It took me a couple of hours to convince him that the bike was ok and that I would live through the night.

Anyway that's how I learned that I should always adjust and check my cables after EVERY change of control related parts.
        Casey
        1980 xs1100g "Frankenstein" (Now with a mind of his own!)

"What do you mean I can't park this thing here?"
        "Shiny side up? I don't have a shiny side."

Comment

I'm still VERY new to riding (still on my permit), and my XS is my first bike. I thought it a bit strange at first, but upshifting w/o the clutch is very natural now. Just a quick drop of the throttle, and it shifts fine. I have not tried downshifting though. I think I'll leave that for if/when my cable dies.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

The long overdue story

So with a brother like this to compare to... is this maybe where he got the GENIUS title??

Tod
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

That's pretty funnt Tod.
              I too have learned to upshift w/out the clutch since I ripped a tendon in my left arm (also known as tennis elbow, although I didn't get it that way) and pulling the clutch can be painfull. It's actually quite smooth.
              Haven't done much downshifting though.
              1980G Standard, Restored
              Kerker 4 - 1
              850 Rear End Mod
              2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
              Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
              Automatic CCT
              1980GH Special, Restored
              Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
              '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
              Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

I shift without the clutch on my Mean Streak when racing. Just launch hard up thru first, tap the kill switch with thumb and not letting off throttle and that will unload the motor then shift to second and turn ignition back on. repeat till finish line. I always beat my buddies and they wonder how I can shift so fast...

Learned it from a busa rider at the track. I am sure the tranny doesn't like it but I buy my bikes to have fun with right?

Comment

I use the clutch in normal riding but I do upshift without the clutch when I am riding hard and nearly always use the clutch on downshifts. Never did hit the kill button though. I just give the throttle a little wrist blip and upshift. I dont think that real damage occurs because of doing this.

But I do think the wear factor on things like shift forks and gear dogs may be greatly accelerated however thats just a guess on my part. Would'nt stop me from doing it though.
                  Mike Giroir
                  79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                    So with a brother like this to compare to... is this maybe where he got the GENIUS title??

Tod
                    Actually we're both genii, I'm merely the more humble of the two. Besides IQ's are overrated, after all MENSA is a spanish slang word for idiot. (no really, it is, look it up)
                    Casey
                    1980 xs1100g "Frankenstein" (Now with a mind of his own!)

"What do you mean I can't park this thing here?"
                    "Shiny side up? I don't have a shiny side."

Comment

I'm merely the more humble of the two
                      Shifting a bike revving at 5k, lucky to not take out a spouse and child, and turning one's bike into a structural wrecking ball... tends to cause humbleness. It's hard to try to convince people of the MENSA status after that sometimes. BUT.. with the true meaning of MENSA.. maybe the title fits at this point?

Tod
                      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100
                      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I did a controlled

I did a controlled, non moving tilt into a bench at the park 20 miles from home and broke the clutch lever off at the pivot point. Not enough to get small vice grips on ETC... pulled it into neutral to start it, ( let it warm up so it wants to start quickly). turn it off. Place the bike in 1st gear with the clutch out and slowly roll on the gas you will start and move forward simultaneously. I say slowly roll the gas on as you move as these bikes will wheelie right over backward if you are over zealous. When you reach about 20 mph pull the shift lever up into neutral then blip the gas to increase the RS', then release. Hold up pressure on the gear change lever and don't touch the clutch. when the speed of the associated gears match, the transmission will slip right into gear. You have to kind of "feel" it. Proceed to 5th gear this way and plan on "the long way home" with minimal stops. When you have to stop tap the gear shift down into neutral and use your brakes. Turn off the bike and repeat. The warm bike should easily start in 1st gear with two up! Remember to roll the gas on slowly in first. After a few stops it gets to be kinda fun and you won't grind a thing. Just remember, "feeling" the gear speed match is the ticket.

From experiance,

Floyd '80G
                        Syracuse NY

Comment

Been there done that

First week I had mine I took the wife up to Boulder about 20 miles with another friend and goofed off and then as we left as soon as he headed diffierent directiion my clutch cable snapped, as good old truck driver figured could free shift made it home easy once out of town but those start and stops at lights sure were interesting only bad thing didn't even manage to lose wife off back.
                          " That glass isn't half empty it has a hole in it "

79 SF set to cruise

80special work in progress

and now 78 needs work

Comment

Working...
                          X