XS Block With Sleeves Removed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CR

My calculation indicate the CR would be 10.95:1 with a '78/'79 head. This is great. Motorcycles can run 11:1 on pump premium with no problems (not sure about 2 up cruisers). I am using the later head so would expect a little less CR. I was considering head work to get the CR up, now I just need to punch it out to 1311.

I got so excited when I read this tread, I went out and heated a set of cylinder up in my powder coat oven to pull the old sleeves out. Worked like a champ. I think I will glass bead them and powder coat them a satin black. Get them ready for new sleeves.

Before I spend the $$ on the sleeve work, I need to learn more about piston option.
    DZ
    Vyger, 'F'
    "The Special", 'SF'
    '08 FJR1300

Comment

I am with you Denny. This thread totally changed my future rebuild scenario.
      '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Originally posted by 81xsproject
        Thread totally changed my future rebuild scenario.
        See what you've started now, Dan!
        Ken Talbot

Comment

11:1 Compression

Originally posted by Ken Talbot

See what you've started now, Dan!
          All things are possible with the Eleven but a word to the wise, 11:1 compression is a little high for an air cooled street motor unless you use an intake cam with an event angle different from the stock cams. New bikes are water cooled and the combustion chamber is shaped differently than that of the Eleven and engines of that era and can tolerate more compression without detonation problems. A pent roofed combustion chamber with a centrally located spark plug will tolorate more compression before detonation than a combustion chamber like that of the Eleven. Actually pumping compression is the determining factor and 160-170 pounds max is all it will tolerate safely and static compression and intake cam phasing will determine this. Why am I telling you guy's all this stuff anyway, I must be getting easy in my old age. Of course I haven't told you everything, of course!
          81 Black "1179" Xcessively trick Super Special. One owner (me).

Comment

That's a big CC increase and a Worthy project for the 11. Myself I would ebb on the safe side with the compression ratio. Given the amount of time and dollars you will have into the project it would be a shame to have an unexpected issue when completed. Your going to get a big power increase just from the CC increase alone so why push it with high compression numbers.
            Rob
            KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
            1978 XS500E
            1979 XS1100F Restored
            1980 XS1100 SG
            1981 Suzuki GS1100
            1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
            1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

intake cam with an event angle different from the stock

Change the lobe center of the intake?...
              then degree the cams?

mro
              Been too long ago to remember engine mods other than basics.
              A 19 percent in C.I. is pretty radical in it's self, but each change demands another at this level and generally requires mucho mulla at a good machine shop. Head will need some work as well as the exhaust. Will probably want the "early" XS TCI and timing parts too. CC head/cylinders, and at least balance the pistons and rods....

Comment

This thread needs closure!!! What happened here?!?!? We need more ideas like this and less threads about how to restore your windjammer fairing.
                78 E

Comment

Originally posted by alaskey2 View Post
                  This thread needs closure!!! What happened here?!?!? We need more ideas like this and less threads about how to restore your windjammer fairing.
                  I agree !
                  I had the chance to buy a custom built 1396 cc. XS11 years ago for $1000 and I passed as I thought the guy was selling something that could not be run on the street. It had not been run in years just sitting in his shop. When the guy that built it found out it was for sale and collecting dust he went and yelled at the owner, bought it and that's the last I heard. I believe it was an LG and remember the lowered custom leather seat with bright red suede flames in the middle all covered in thick dust.
                  He owned the Excaliber Motor Co. that built custom cars but had fallen do to EPA or something like, they wanted him to crash so many per for safety.

What would you do to the trans in a beasty like this so as not to shear dogs off ?
                  76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                  80 XS650 G Special II
                  https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
                  80 XS 1100 SG
                  81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
                  https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
                  AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

What actually is the effect of these mods then? The bike is 95bhp standard. What wouldd it be after the mods?
                    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

James- If you read Dan's threads, he never attained much more than 100+ horses with all the money he spent on head jobs, etc. The only guy besides John I have seen with those numbers was Brian, whom has the youtube video of the 107 hp run on the dyno. Oddly enough, he did not do an overbore, but instead went with racing cams, lightened/balanced crank, etc.
                      1979 XS1100F
                      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Working...
                      X