No announcement yet.

HID Conversion kits.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought a high / low one from http://stores.ebay.ca/diane-shop. Total with shipping was $60 CDN or $57 US, Its very bright and it has a solenoid to move the bulb between the high and low settings. It seems very well made, comes with a ballast to start the bulb and supply the 85 volts required. Included a control box that manages the solenoid from the existing light wiring for Hi and low beam.

I had to modify the spring cap that holds the bulb in place, to increase the inside diameter so it will pass over the solenoid. I also bypassed the reserve lighting unit.

It just fits inside a standard headlight bucket.

Mine draws 2.25 to 2.5 amps so its just a little less than 35 watts.

Comment

Try these guys, I bought the H4 car kit for $169.95 for my 86 Triumph Tiger, (2 lights). The single light is only $99.00.

I also got the H7 car kit for my K1200 one hi one low, that was only 135.99. These guys ship for free too.

H4: http://www.xenonlink.com/index.php?cPath=69_70
      H7: http://www.xenonlink.com/product_inf...products_id=68

No interest, just a customer.
      Andy Newell,
      Enumclaw, WA
      03 BMW K1200RSA (Dread Zeppelin)
      1996 Triumph Tiger

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AlanB
        [B]Hi Webb,

If the light is getting solid voltage, but gives low output, start off with a new reflector and bulb; a good quality 7" unit should be cheap, and bulbs degrade with time.

Being the cheapskate I am, I tried all the easy stuff, new bulb, 'bout five different styles of bulbs, bigger wire, ect, ect. I think the limiting factor is the lense itself, old school stuff. Careful examination of the headlight on the HD shows it has a "clear cut" lens with no fluting. The bulb has a "cap" on it that reflects all the light back to the lens, not unlike a spotlight bulb. Since I run a Windjammer, mounting the ballast should not be a big deal. Cost is not a really big issue for me because of the saftey factor of having headlight that actually works. Soon as all this christmas thing goes away, I am gonna go for the high/low conversion kit and see how well it improves my geriatric night vision.
        When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

geriatric night vision

Been following this thread and the HID mod sounds great. Half the amp draw and more light.

Most my riding is around the Bay.
          Light be not a problem in the city or on the super slabs .
          (One big A$$ city around the bay...with just a sign on the side of the road letting you know that you have crossed from one community to another).

But I do ride at night now and then “out of town” to run on a few twisty’s.
          Been times there's giant antlered rats on the road, but they were kind enough to not be right in my path. A split second extra warning would be nice should one not be so kind. Have seen and read of the consequences of smacking one at speed..., not nice.
          Looks like a good mod for the hot rod .

mro
          My biggest night vision problem is being blinded by on coming cages
          Not a problem around town or a cage with regular head lights, but when out where it’s dark and they have the extra bright lights my world shrinks to about 20 feet.
          Too bad no mod to fix this.

BTW, MikesXS has a control with a head light switch that fits the XS bars.

Comment

I just purchased a "BI-XENON HID CONVERSION KIT H4-3 For Motorcycle Bike" off eBay. The price was $71.99 AUD, which converted to $64.65 US. 7-14 day shipping time.

It is in the white color spectrum (6000K). It claims to plug right into an H4 socket with High/Low beam. I believe this is similar to what ELDR purchased.

I have done all they other known mods to my headlight with marginal improvement. I will post how this turns out.
            DZ
            Vyger, 'F'
            "The Special", 'SF'
            '08 FJR1300

Comment

Originally posted by Dennyz
              I just purchased a "BI-XENON HID CONVERSION KIT H4-3 For Motorcycle Bike" off eBay. The price was $71.99 AUD, which converted to $64.65 US. 7-14 day shipping time.

I will post how this turns out.
              I will keeping an eye for your product evaluation.
              When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

it really is a mandatory modifornication to see and be seen, especially for us old farts loosing out eye sights,
                "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
                History
                85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                79 yamaha xs1100f
                03 honda cbr 600 f4
                91 yamaha fzr 600
                84 yamaha fj 1100
                82 yamaha seca 750
                87 yamaha fazer
                86 yamaha maxim x
                82 yamaha vision
                78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

My HID kit came yesterday.

I have not finished the install yet. Here is what I know so far.

- The quality of the component look very good.
                  - The instruction manual makes no reference to the H4 high/low Motorcycle version.
                  - The control module is large and the wires are short. My only option is under the tank, just behind the coils. This location has me concerned about engine heat toasting the control module on hot summer days. Rigs with full fairing should not have a problem.
                  - Some modifications to the bulb mount is necessary (as ELDR indicated). I only needed to alter the spring to get it all to fit.
                  - The three pin connector that is provided to interface the HID system to the high/low beam wiring of the bike does not match anything. This is not a big surprise considering the age of my bike. So, some custom wiring will be needed. I gave up on the reserve lighting unit years ago. The RLU connector is where I plan to wire in the High/Low beam wires.
                  - This is a total headlight system replacement. All it requires is a direct connection to the battery, +12 (low beam), +12 (high beam) and ground. I fired it up with the wires and modules strung out on my frame and it is impressive. A very very bright white horizontal beam. Not much difference between high and low beam except the position of the beam.

I should rap this installation up soon. I am taking lots of picture as I go. I think this is a mod worth doing. I took some "before" picture out on the road at night and will get some "after" pictures when done. If they turn out it should give some idea of the difference.

Heads up for all you folks running high wattage H4 bulbs. I have been running a 80/100 for several years. I discovered that the reflective coating on the top inside side of my headlight has been burned off. I wonder how much brighter my HID would be with a good headlight. I am now looking for a XS11 rectangle H4 headlight. PM me if you have one to sell.
                  Last edited by Dennyz; 12-12-2007, 07:33 PM.
                  DZ
                  Vyger, 'F'
                  "The Special", 'SF'
                  '08 FJR1300

Comment

I got the H4 kit but the relay on the back seems to be hitting the back of the bucket (rectangular type)
                    What did you do to make it fit???
                    Not many in Aus so don't want to mess mine up
                    Christian (auxtian)

Comment

Installation done!

Finished up the installed today. I would rate this as a fairly simply installation and can be done with simple hand tools.

Here is a description of how it went.

H.I.D. Hi/Low Motorcycle conversion
                      DZ
                      Vyger, 'F'
                      "The Special", 'SF'
                      '08 FJR1300

Comment

Looks good, I am looking forward to seeing the pictures of it lighting up the road.
                        Do to the nights being darker now than they were a few years ago and the heavy ozone sucking up the light from my headlight along with probably some of the currents in the lower latitudes I have been having some problems seeing at night also (my wife has another theory about this but I won't embarress her by bringing it up here). Has anyone checked out or used the new LED headlight conversions? I have been hearing some startling stats on power use vs light output and they are about half what the HIDs cost ($69 for a 7" conversion for my Vetter).
                        The Old Tamer
                        1981 XS1100SH (The Black Dragon)

If there are more than three bolts holding it on there, it is most likely a very important part!

Comment

I bought one of these from http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=110206360450, the same supplier mention above, and it was defective. On first power up after warming up the lamp pulsed at about a 120 Hz. or slightly faster rate. The ballast also heated up until it was to hot to touch. After pulling all the connecters apart, cleaning and reassembling it just started popping fuses.

The real pisser is that even though it is warranted for 18 months I have to pay the return shipping which is over $35.00! And it only cost about $62.00 including shipping.

Louis
                          "There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it cannot be overcome by
                          brute strength and ignorance" And possibly some Mouse Milk!
                          '82 XJ1100J
                          LED Dir and running lights
                          LED Tail/Brake lights (4) one flashing
                          Modulated H/L
                          PIAA Driving lights
                          YICS Eliminated
                          750 FD

Yamaha Factory X-1 Fairing and Luggage

Comment

I run JCW's H4 headlight assy. with a 120 watt bulb. My harness is "new" with an overkill Bosch type automotive relay for high/low. I have the '81 left side controls, so I'm using the hazard switch with another relay to turn the headlight off when I'm working on the bike. I have no concerns about sight distance...

Plus a 3 pack of the contraband bulbs run $25 or so from JCW.
                            2010 Kawasaki Z1000
                            1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Comment

4300k has the most light output on a hid. an hid in a reflector housing isnt what they are made for, they are made for a projector lens. without the projector lens the light goes everywhere, it doesnt aim right at the road, it scatters, and you will get hot spots. My Kawasaki ZX-14 and Yamaha R-1 have projectors. This is my ZX-14 with hids, they are 6000k.

1978 XS-Eleven

Comment

04 GSXR-1000 with a reflector housing. The light goes everywhere but the road.
                                1978 XS-Eleven

Comment

Working...
                                X