HID Conversion kits.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HID Conversion kits.

With it getting dark sooner, my crappy Stanley Headlight in a Windjammer is again rearing its ugly head. Even with a 85/100w bulb, its still, at best, a 40mph headlight. I have flashlights that will outdo it. Been eyeing HID conversions on Ebay. The ones that replace a H4 bulb in the headlight housing, not additional hang on units. So, anyone try these yet or do I get to be the test platform?

Before yall chime in here, I have gone thru all the wiring. Even ran a fat wire direct to the headlight thru a relay, worked a little better. Bro-in-laws HD has a 5" headlight in it and it is MUCH better than mine. (its the only thing on the HD thats better )

I don't wanna hear any cracks that its not a dim headlight as much dim eyesight!
    When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

yes, i have a hid kit installed ask anyone at the tahoe rally how bright it is
    "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
    History
    85 Yamaha FJ 1100
    79 yamaha xs1100f
    03 honda cbr 600 f4
    91 yamaha fzr 600
    84 yamaha fj 1100
    82 yamaha seca 750
    87 yamaha fazer
    86 yamaha maxim x
    82 yamaha vision
    78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

Hi Webb,

If the light is getting solid voltage, but gives low output, start off with a new reflector and bulb; a good quality 7" unit should be cheap, and bulbs degrade with time.

If it still isn't good enough, the HID kit is absolutely amazing, Couple of mates have em' fitted.

Start off by finding out why your light is worse than B-I-L's bike before spending the big bucks........ If it is getting less than 12V, or the reflector is dull, more power won't help much........

AlanB
      If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

HID

I put one on mine this summer. I bought a kit for a car so I have a second bulb, ballast, wiring harness if anyone is interested. I also ran #10 wire from battery upto relays to bypass the bikes wiring harness. It is like driving in the daylight all of the time.

RichB

Comment

I have HID in both of my Standards. I got the bikes that way so I've never looked at the wattage BUT those bikes light the road better than either my Jeep Cherokee or MBZ 300D.
          80G Mini-bagger
          VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
          79SF eventually dismantled for parts
          79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
          79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
          79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

Re: HID

Originally posted by RichB
            I put one on mine this summer. I bought a kit for a car so I have a second bulb, ballast, wiring harness if anyone is interested. I also ran #10 wire from battery upto relays to bypass the bikes wiring harness. It is like driving in the daylight all of the time.

RichB
            Are the auto ballasts described as weather and water proof like the kits for bikes?
            Rob
            KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
            1978 XS500E
            1979 XS1100F Restored
            1980 XS1100 SG
            1981 Suzuki GS1100
            1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
            1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

I must admit,
              I never heard of HID bulbs before now so I googled them. Seems that in addition to the claimed better light, they only draw 35Watts instead of the 55Watts of a stock headlamp bulb. Another reason for the Wattage-starved XS11 to swap over to them.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

OK, armed with that information, I have to find out more about this modification!

Originally posted by fredintoon
                I must admit,
                I never heard of HID bulbs before now so I googled them. Seems that in addition to the claimed better light, they only draw 35Watts instead of the 55Watts of a stock headlamp bulb. Another reason for the Wattage-starved XS11 to swap over to them.
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

touche
                  History
                  85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                  79 yamaha xs1100f
                  03 honda cbr 600 f4
                  91 yamaha fzr 600
                  84 yamaha fj 1100
                  82 yamaha seca 750
                  87 yamaha fazer
                  86 yamaha maxim x
                  82 yamaha vision
                  78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

THIS TECH TIP has been in the Mods section since 2/06! Of course, it's for extra lights, not the OEM headlight conversion, but yes, they do draw less power ONCE they are started up, but they require several hundred volts to get them fired....that's why they need a transformer/booster!

Folks getting together 2 at a time to buy an auto pair sounds like a good way to share the cost....they aren't cheap!

I agree with AlanB about getting a new reflector housing, the clear lens kind seems to allow much more light as well vs. the old OEM Fresnel front lens, that combined with an 80/100 watt bulb would probably be very close to the HID level, and a fair bit cheaper, at least for the Specials. But I've seen the clear lens conversions for both the 7" round as well as the rectangular standard.

Hey RichB, how about some photos and a write up on how you did it for a NEW TECH TIP!
                    T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Just some followup info!

Below are several sites I found thru search for "hid conversion" on the NET! These sites listed special Motorcycle kits vs. auto kits. Some claimed extra durable components due to vibration. ALL of these kits, MC or auto are CONVERSIONS, and use the Existing reflector housing/lenses. You get the specific bulb designed for your system....the H4/9003 bulb style, hi/low feature. Also, there are different frequencies for the lights, from the low 3k yellow colored beams, 4k OEM white, to 6-9K that have varied amounts of blue/violet to the color!

These HID's claim a 300%+ level of illumination over Halogens, so looks like I was mistaken in thinking that a NEW clear lens reflector and 80/100 halogen bulb would be nearly as bright!? These kits are still rather pricey, however, a quick look at EBAY showed them for under $100.00 for dual light Auto kits, which could end up being less than $50.00 per bike IF you are able to split the deal with a fellow Xsive near you! As stated above, look for Auto kits for H4/9003 Hi/Lo auto systems!
                      Happy Shopping!
                      MOtorcycle HID conversion kit from
                      http://www.xenondepot.com

http://www.xenondepot.com/product.php?product_id=150 $234.99

The H4 Hi/Lo auto dual lamp conversion kit:
                      http://www.xenondepot.com/product.php?product_id=136 $279.00

Here's another site: http://www.xtralights.com/index.asp?...OD&ProdID=1349 $249.00, but $65.00 extra for hi/low feature!

ANother site: http://www.gohid.com/product_1749_488.html $229.00
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Sooo.. TC, wanna split one?
                        80 SG
                        81 SH in parts
                        99 ST1100
                        91 ST1100

Comment

you can by them already split for motorcycles, you actually loose high beam or they jury rig a moving reflector to change beam pattern to simulate high beams,

just type in motorcycle hid

paid around a hundred for mine, come on now you can find it...
                          History
                          85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                          79 yamaha xs1100f
                          03 honda cbr 600 f4
                          91 yamaha fzr 600
                          84 yamaha fj 1100
                          82 yamaha seca 750
                          87 yamaha fazer
                          86 yamaha maxim x
                          82 yamaha vision
                          78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

I'll be going this route on my hop up bike for sure but with the bikes in winter storage there's no rush
                            Rob
                            KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                            1978 XS500E
                            1979 XS1100F Restored
                            1980 XS1100 SG
                            1981 Suzuki GS1100
                            1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                            1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

There are some on ebay which are shipped from Asia, hi-lo version runs $75 or so with $49 shipping, I may get one...let you know what my experience with vendor, shipping & install is if I do.
                              Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

Working...
                              X