fork caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fork caps

I just bought some extra fork caps to replace the 81H pain in the arse types. The H caps are extreamly difficult to screw in after a fork oil change. Can anyone tell me if model E caps will work in the modle H bike? Will they be adjustable for preload?
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Do any XS's have preload adjustable forks?!?

XJ has rebound adjustment, perhaps the 81. AFAIK, 78-80 don't have either.

You can set static preload with a pvc spacer inside the fork.
    Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

hmm... AFAIK 78E had nothing, but from 79 on they had air assisted forks... so pump in some (not too much) and you're set.

LP
      If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
      (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hart
        Do any XS's have preload adjustable forks?!?

AFAIK, 78-80 don't have either.

You can set static preload with a pvc spacer inside the fork.

AFAIK? I'll have to look that one up. Yes, the 78's do have what I call a preload. You use a flat-tipped screw driver, push the center plunger straight in, and rotate to the desired position. It effectively makes the cap length longer (and the spring shorter).
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

AFAIK - As Far As I Know

LP
          If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
          (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

fork caps

I have a 78,79and two 80 xs1100's ,all the caps are interchangable, the 78 has a three position pre-load, the others have air caps. Do not exceed 16 psi. I do not know about the xj's....Will

Comment

Re: fork caps

Thanks,oldfart...uh, I mean Will! =:-)

Originally posted by oldfart
              I have a 78,79and two 80 xs1100's ,all the caps are interchangable, the 78 has a three position pre-load, the others have air caps. Do not exceed 16 psi. I do not know about the xj's....Will
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Comment

Working...
              X