Final Drive Transplant _ Kudos 2 Chop!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Copper Spacer

I've got a XS850 FD with the Drive Shaft. Is there any reason NOT to use the xs850 DS instead of the XS1100 and NOT use the Spacer????
    Rock Hound
    79' Eleven Special

Comment

• Yes, the drive shaft is the wrong length! I think the spline for the U-joint is also different, but I'm NOT positive. You can use almost anything for the spacer, copper is what I used( sweat on water pipe fitting), as there is not much pressure on it. You are trying to keep the splines engaged at the FD side, as the 850/750 has the spline a little further in than the 11.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

• If the XS11 has grease instead of oil, why are we blocking the oil galley holes? The grease is not going to escape out those holes. Why bother with that? Or is it to keep something else out/in?

John
        John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
        '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
        Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

• On the 750/850 the rear splines are bathed in gear oil John. There is a seal on the driveshaft where it slips into the FD to keep the oil in.

If you don't block those holes all your FD gear oil will leak into the DL tube
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• I see said the blind man...

John

Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

Comment

• Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
              I think the spline for the U-joint is also different, but I'm NOT positive.
              is the drive shaft less strong too?
              Last edited by James England; 06-24-2014, 07:13 PM.
              XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

• Originally posted by James England View Post
                Would imagine so as its smaller in diameter.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Originally posted by James England View Post
                  Originally posted by motoman View Post
                  Would imagine so as its smaller in diameter.
                  Does it really matter? It won't fit the 11 anyway.
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• 850 final

I don't see where this is coming from. The change over is well documented, and explained. I put over 40,000 HARD miles on a 750 FD, spliced into an 81H special, with absolutely NO PROBLEMS. The spacer is necessary, and the Right Stuff to plug the oil holes works. Stop complaining and put it in, you'll like it. The real weak spot is the second gear problem, on some 1100's. That is what put my 81 out of service.

ExcessiveBiker

Comment

• Originally posted by ExcessiveBiker View Post
                      I don't see where this is coming from. The change over is well documented, and explained. I put over 40,000 HARD miles on a 750 FD, spliced into an 81H special, with absolutely NO PROBLEMS. The spacer is necessary, and the Right Stuff to plug the oil holes works. Stop complaining and put it in, you'll like it. The real weak spot is the second gear problem, on some 1100's. That is what put my 81 out of service.

ExcessiveBiker
                      +1 on the rehashing of the FD swap. I have an 850FD in mine that's been abused for 4 years an untold miles across the US.

As far as the 2nd gear issue your having, there's a well documented thread on that too.

Where in Tejas are you?
                      Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

• Must be near South Houston. He works at Johnson Space Center...

John

Comment

• XS850 Shaft

Thanks Ya'll, just checking. Your knowledge of this Mod is invaluable. As soon as I finish drilling this well, (24 hr days for 5 days) I'll pull the 850 shaft and Mod the FD.
                          Rock Hound
                          79' Eleven Special

Comment

• Final Drive Transplant

You got it jw, south of Houston, in Manvel. 27 miles to work, then back. I do about 11,000 a year just going to work. The 11 only lets me down when I hurt it.

ExcessiveBiker

p.s. update, Just got laid off from JSC, today. Guess I won't be putting the high mileage on any of my bikes now.

ExcessiveBiker

Comment

• Final Drive Transplant

T.C

I'm in Manvel, south of Houston. I can't believe people haven't read the extensive threads on this for many years, now. Strength of the drive line never was in question. I ride a Venturer for the time being, without the swap. It has a 17" wheel and seems to match up with the special with the swap using the 16"wheel. Nearly equivalent ratios, as is.
                              My second gear problem is my fault, too much thrashing of the trans.

Thanks for the comments,
                              ExcessiveBiker

Comment

Working...
                              X