9 miles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9 miles

Finally got the "Hot rod" XS street-able. Rode to gas station for some fuel, then home to grab a bite to eat and my cell phone just in case problema's arise as I go out for a little spin tonight.

Have put stock bars/foot pegs and controls on it. (stuck my 80G seat on it for tonight) Been playing with the flat slide carbs. They got adjustments for both fuel and air at idle, 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 and above. Got jets/needles inside and out, vents, over flow, and all fuel bowls are linked. What they don't have is a way to sync em like the stock carbs. Have yet to find proper manual, but have a feeling will need to mod the carbs to be able to sync em..............

That 4 into one is a little on the loud side too.
    Might try the other baffle in a day or so.

mro
    gona be the menace tonight
    bye

I'm guessing you have a big bore kit in this engine? If so how much different is the exhaust note with the higher compression pistons. Or is there any difference at all? i can't wait to fire mine up on Monday.
    Rob
    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
    1978 XS500E
    1979 XS1100F Restored
    1980 XS1100 SG
    1981 Suzuki GS1100
    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Got it's own sound.
      Will set off car alarms half a block away (been doing that).

This XS has a little more than just the big bore kit tho........

Kinda glad that Ca has helmet law. Everybody’s gotta LOOK at ya when going by. Really bad part is that the cops will know where you are..., hear ya coming or going

Did open it up good once last night on way home. Going north on Mission Blvd (50 MPH zone) was just putting along at the speed limit. No other cars in site but one coming up fast from behind. Guy was going 75/80 MPH, thought it might be a cop till got close and went by me. Was a black Honda, lowered with wing on trunk and nifty rims/tires. Road was clear and this stretch the pavement is in "OK" condition, so dropped down to third and cranked right hand. SHOT up to 75 MPH and went to fourth, had plenty left but shifted to fifth at 100 MPH and zipped past him at 115 MPH. Fastest I've been on an XS..........so far

mro

Comment

So what else do you have done to it? Which bore kit did you go with, 1179 or bigger? Did you do anything to the timing, Running stock cams etc?
        Rob
        KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
        1978 XS500E
        1979 XS1100F Restored
        1980 XS1100 SG
        1981 Suzuki GS1100
        1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

So what else do you have done to it?

Click here, answer to questions.
          If I can find my cam will post pic of how it looks now.
          Want to learn more about the carbs before I stick in the high performance cams.
          http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...hlight=Fastest

mro

Comment

79, here's a good combination I had on my rebored bike - 1196cc, 80 valves, 78 carbs, 42.5 pilot jets, 142.5 main jets, 180 air jets, middle notch needle, floats at 25mm, carb slide holes drilled to 3mm, decent flowing 4-1, a K&N filter in the airbox, 8 - 10 holes 10mm in the airbox, a few holes in the snorkel too, hot coils like Dyna with no ballast resistor and non-resistor spark caps. Timing advanced 4 or 5 degrees, BP 7 or BP 8 sparkplugs. With a port job on the head I went up another size on the pilot jet and the main jet, the ported head gave a BIG kick of extra power, even with stock camshafts.

Comment

Pics for today

mro

Hey pggg, hows those carbs coming?

Comment

mro, I've been checking out R6/R1 websites for info on my R6 carbs, but of course most modern rocket riders don't seem to have a clue about anything not visible beneath their plastic skins Did find some tuning info though, and I'm tempted to hook up the R6 airbox with it's associated mass of hoses and weird fuel/air pressure equalizing gadgets.. but will probably try to use the R6 airbox as a 'conventional' airbox, but we'll see

PS did you find any slide adjusters on your bank of flatslides?

Comment

What they don't have is a way to sync em like the stock carbs. Have yet to find proper manual, but have a feeling will need to mod the carbs to be able to sync em..............
                  .. maybe they are under the top caps, like the old smooth bores. if so you will need more tools.

Comment

Check this, you can 'YICS' your old fashioned XS11 with a 'carburetor 4-way cross-over equalization manifold' - or, in plain english - 2 rubber hoses. Just remove the 4 vaccuum caps, then connect vacuum spigot No 1 to vacuum spigot No 4, and connect vaccuum spigot No 3 to vacuum spigot No 2.

Comment

originally posted by GNEPIG
                      maybe they are under the top caps, like the old smooth bores. if so you will need more tools.
                      More tools???
                      Like what?

Off with the carbs, have looked in the bottoms. Will check out the tops. Want to lower floats 2 mm anyway.

mro

Comment

Hey pggg, you been hanging out with prom?........

originally posted by pggg
                        Check this, you can 'YICS' your old fashioned XS11 with a 'carburetor 4-way cross-over equalization manifold' - or, in plain english - 2 rubber hoses. Just remove the 4 vaccuum caps, then connect vacuum spigot No 1 to vacuum spigot No 4, and connect vaccuum spigot No 3 to vacuum spigot No 2.

mro

Comment

MRO

Lookin' Good.

I still haven't heard exactly what cams you have.

IMO when tinkering with hot street cams and trick carbs I fear the only way to really get a bike running well is via dyno. It's not really the dyno that helps as much as the AF sniffer.

It can be done the old fashion way (throttle chop) but that could take forever and a day.

My pilots are 35 and the main jets are 115. But then these are NOT flat slides...they are 36mm FJ1200 Carbs.

The one snag we hit was setting the needles. When the AF curve was perfectly on the money the bike had a miss at 4000 to 4500 rpm. We raised the needles a notch and the miss went away...bike ran smooth but the AF was a little rich in the mid range.

With a polished head I'll bet your top end is stronger than mine. But I wonder what the low and mid-range is like. My head was port matched with the intake really opened up but NOT polished. It has a lot of top end but it still has mucho bottom.

Good luck. And if you want to tone that noise down try my modified R1 can. It flows like a river and is pretty quiet but still has a rumble.

L8R

Comment

I still haven't heard exactly what cams you have.

Stock cams in right now.
                            Have a set sitting on self with sprockets set up to play with timing and their just over 38 mm tall.

Need to know the carbs better before sticking in the cams.

Did not know an XS's handling could be improved so much. The after market forks and rear shocks really help. Dual forks braces don't hurt either. Don't think I could lean it over far enough to need the custom beveled timing and alt covers tho...........

There will be a dyno run. Guy in Fremont I talked to at Fastline would not put an XS on his dyno until I told him what I had

Just need the time to learn the bike.

Something you might appreciate MAXIMAN.
                            Bottom end is from a 10M motor, cylinders/head from an 80.

mro

Comment

Re: I still haven't heard exactly what cams you have.

Originally posted by mro

There will be a dyno run. Guy in Fremont I talked to at Fastline would not put an XS on his dyno until I told him what I had
                              I've heard this but I don't understand it. These guys that have dynos and won't run and old bike on it. Makes no sense.

Originally posted by mro

Something you might appreciate MAXIMAN.
                              Bottom end is from a 10M motor, cylinders/head from an 80.

mro
                              Interesting....sounds like you gotta "Frankenzilla" too.

Do ya know if the stock cams are 3H5 or 2H7?

Comment

Working...
                              X