No announcement yet.

Destination Echo Canyon CO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spent alot of the day on US64, finished up on US50. See you soon.

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Spent my day westward winging on a "big 'ol jet airliner" from Philly to Denver. At home now, after a great visit with my folks n PA. Getting into full rally mode after I get the replacement radiator into the 2000 Grand Cherokee tomorrow.

Hey JeffH, you will have the best minds in the XS universe to compare notes with and many hands make light work when it comes to doing any tuning.

Likin' the cup holder!

Guys, take note it's gonna be HOT out here so liquid close at hand is a great idea!

The bike looks great in the pictures!
      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Wish I was tagging along....

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
        Ride west is going well. Had another great weather day. Just beautiful.

Jeff

Darn that's a nice country road!
        That's the way to travel! If I could look at that scenery I'd stay off the highways completely! But, as you said, got to get to Colorado eventually.

KURT
        Kurt Boehringer
        Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
        1978 - SR500 - Thumper
        1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
        1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
        1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
        1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
        1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
        1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
        1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
        1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
        1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
        1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
        2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

Jeff..I'm sure you've checked it before leaving...but a dirty air filter will make the bike stumble off idle...JAT
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Air filter pristine so its not that. Its just the way I tuned it last time. Bike doesn't like the heat or over heating. I never ride it in towns and stop & go so any issue from heat doesn't show up. Usually in mountains and rolling along. Monday it got touchy when it got real hot looking around towns and in traffic. My old Honda's were worse. Extremely sensitive to heat.

Water Cooled:
            Today I got rain and a lot of 70 degrees. Bike ran like a rocket. Have had like 4 tanks of Shell & 4 tanks of Mobil and 1 tank of Chuckles. No really Chuckles gas. Nice station but I got 35.5 mpg vs 38.5 or 39 on Mobil or Shell. In north Georgia the Mobil - Shell - Chevron I always run "may" contain the dreaded nasty. As Greg said, some places it "do" contain it.

So this Morning I started off with like 938 miles to go. Now its down to 593 miles to Echo Canyon. I had a real blast today. A real great ride on some nice roads. Tomorrow night is Steak Night in Dodge City. A real Kansas T-Bone or Rib Eye would be a treat. Any of the locals suggest a place? Is Casey Cow Town good?

Going to try and post a few pictures here in a few minutes. Bike running great today. Rain & cool. I checked the pick-up coil wires this AM and they are fine. Before Key West I had purposely jacked around with the carbs just playing around and taking some measurements. Never went to the mountains with that setup as intended. Did KW and now CO which I hadn't intended on doing and ran out of time to go back and put them the way that works best on the Cherohala Skyway. Will get to try it at SE Rally.

Jeff
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
            '99 Triumph Sprint ST
            '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

The bike is tuned for near sea level too Jeff. Kansas is pretty near the same though. You're not riding a fuel injected, computer controlled robobike.

BTW, Kansas gas sucks.

I rode up to Harry's last weekend. and got about 25mpg, give or take. But, I was running 80 - 90 most of the time. You are doing fine.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Joys of LD Riding

Woke up this morning expecting to have a leisurely slow paced day. Weather on Monday night was sunny and nice. This AM instead of a couple cups of coffee then some breakfast I got up to a skies of black. A wall of black. So quickie-quickie chop-chop I loaded my gear and zoomed off. (that's why Kansas Steak night tomorrow in Dodge City) a riders got to eat & have a pint of suds

Some real nasty stuff brewing

Hit the wall of water a few miles ahead

Left in such a rush I didn't put on my rain gear. Socks got a tad mushy. It rained for about 65 miles. Ended up a nice day of riding & I had fun. in fact exceeded expectations on todays ride.

btw: I call it dramatic, but the guys who live in tornado alley call it Ho - Hum
                Luckily today I didn't get into any lightening or horrible crosswinds. That would have been trouble.

Jeff
                Last edited by JeffH; 07-12-2016, 08:36 PM.
                78' XS1100 E
                78' XS1100 E
                78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

I was fortunate Jeff through that same country only about 2 hours of rain but it was the WIND trying to blow me off the road that tuckered me out.

Ride safe see you soon. I am drinking beer in Denver. Might head South tomorrow after I touch base with Joe and CZ.

John
                  John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                  '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                  Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
                    I was fortunate Jeff through that same country only about 2 hours of rain but it was the WIND trying to blow me off the road that tuckered me out.

Ride safe see you soon. I am drinking beer in Denver. Might head South tomorrow after I touch base with Joe and CZ.

John
                    Dang John........ya musta' 'lowered the boom' on that scoot gettin' up here.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I had one of those big rolling clouds roll over me headed south out of KC a couple years ago at 5AM, coming home from The Lost Rally. Wind kicked up and I was riding sideways through a blinding rain. Followed a pickup's tail lights until I saw the lights of a little country store in the middle of now where Kansas. Spent the next hour or so in a tiny, and I mean tiny like a large walk in closet, country store with 3 or 4 good ol' boys and had some coffee until the bad stuff blew over.

I was on The Green Hornet then.
                      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                        Dang John........ya musta' 'lowered the boom' on that scoot gettin' up here.
                        Eh...... it's only 700 miles, that's a day trip. He left here yesterday, that's only 350 miles a day. We do that before lunch.
                        Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Botched my Ride Plan

My easy no-fail Ride Plan: travel west across the heartland on US50 and turn left into Echo Canyon parking lot.
                          I thought that was pretty idiot proof. Only one LEFT turn required. Till I saw this.

Must not have been paying attention and just kept going west on US50

Hate to admit it, but I'm pretty sure I missed that one and only left turn
                          I guess I was having fun. Better make a call to CHP in case i'm confused or something.
                          Must have shot right by motomans too. (without even waving)

Jeff
                          78' XS1100 E
                          78' XS1100 E
                          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

You have to be kidding !

I'm not sure I believe you Jeff , the mileage from Tenn to the Ca. line seems like a LOOOOOOOOOOONG one days ride .Not only that but you would have to get on I- 70 outside Grand Junction...I hope you are kidding us ...unless you got directions from XJOK2PLAY "Turn right"
                            78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

I did get Route Tips from Bob.

....... and yup, can really click off some miles when riding like the OK boys.

Actually I had to stop. In California Missouri. Guess I could have pulled it off until we heard Monarch Pass is closed due to the fire. That's was my waterloo on the scam.

See y'all soon
                              Jeff
                              Last edited by JeffH; 07-12-2016, 09:27 PM.
                              78' XS1100 E
                              78' XS1100 E
                              78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                              '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                              '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Ho-Hum?

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
                                btw: I call it dramatic, but the guys who live in tornado alley call it Ho - Hum
                                Jeff
                                Jeff,
                                If I had seen skies like that in my path I'd have been looking for a tornado shelter and a new pair of shorts.
                                KURT
                                Kurt Boehringer
                                Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
                                1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                                1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
                                1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
                                1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                                1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
                                1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
                                1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
                                1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max