No announcement yet.

Destination Echo Canyon CO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JW: I'm staying at Super 8 in Pueblo (on US50 of course) . Gotta look over the bike and check things out since I haven't done that since ATL. Plus try and wipe off the cow crud pasted all over it. (though bag lids did make it into the shower last night).

XJOK: have a good ride to the meet point with Bohn then good trip across. I see there is more nasty weather brewing in the same spots as yesterday. I'm not sure yet about AM plans for Friday. Depends on what time I get to Pueblo. A short 290 miles but a storm cell right now between Garden City and Lamar.

Ridden 1,300 miles so its time to check the oil. Was going to out in a splash yesterday but oil level at the full line. I left home with it about 1/2 way above the full line and the top of the sight glass. My XS has never used any oil. Like to Key West I put in 1/2 quart after 1,500 miles. Not bad for an old bike.

No matter what, this am I will go slow and will have two cups of java before doing anything. I think there is non-ethanol gas up a few blocks so will get that. Snuck up from 1,500 feet evevation to 2,500 ft here in Dodge. Amazing how elevation increase approaching the front range is ever so gradual. And how the step up is so different between US50, US160 and US412. Plants too. That's why I enjoy riding across and poking around looking for snakes.

Jeff
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Didn't have to wait today. It is going boom-boom. Lots of lightening and tremendous rumbles of thunder. I brewed a pot of coffee. Sitting in the doorway drinking coffee and watching the action. Bike is covered and 10 feet in front of me.

This line seems to be moving along fairly quickly. Worst is over in 25 minutes. Maybe it will be clear sailing after this unless another cell whips up later west of here which is doubtful.

Its sunrise so the birds are chirping like crazy. They probably enjoying the cool rain vs 100 and dusty dry. btw: T-Bone steak last night was good. Now its back to pork n beans from a can.

Jeff
      Last edited by JeffH; 07-14-2016, 06:02 AM.
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
      '99 Triumph Sprint ST
      '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Update: so two more lines of super cells formed out of nowhere. Gulf moisture coliding with the stationary front nearby here. Just kept triggering super cells. So three biggie storms in three hours. Luckily the quarter sized hail was south of here. yikes. Guess I'm in Kansas Dorothy.

Good news is now its 100% clear BLUE SKY to the west. Am loading up the bike now. Oil still about at the full line. Time to motor west.

Always wanted to say this:

Its time to "Get out of Dodge" . . .

Jeff
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
        '99 Triumph Sprint ST
        '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Yup, time to gear up and push on through.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I made it great to Wichita. 73 degrees and cloudy. As I came into Wichita, massive storms. Found a QT, found a pump out of order, and figured I'd wait a while. Bohn called, so he's diverting to my 20 with the truck since these look like they're gonna last a while. Just had a breakfast burrito and coffee. Bob
            '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
            "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Looks like it should be about gone from there about 1:30 - 2. According the weather channels model it looks like I might just skirt it on the Cimmaron and I35 between 1 and 4pm.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Jeff H - if you have not prepaid for Super 8 then dont. I have a room on points at Hampton Inn Southgate near there with 2 Queens and you are welcome to one at no cost. Free coffee too.

John
                John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

I was just loading the bike getting ready to head to Wichita, the sky turned green and the tornado sirens started screaming.

I may be late getting to Wichita.
                  Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

I rolled into Pueblo about 4:45. John was there waiting.

We went for really good pizza next door to super 8 on 50. And a quite yummy vanilla porter. Now its time to do some laundry and get bags organized once again.

My plan is hang out at super 8 until maybe 11am then ride up to Echo Canyon. After 1,700 miles its time to sit a spell and not be in riding gear. Been in riding gear for five days so a few hours in shorts & flip-flops sounds pretty good. Will post some pics later. (of the ride, not shorts & flip-flops)

Jeff
                    78' XS1100 E
                    78' XS1100 E
                    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

gas mileage

So Greg said bad mpg in Kansas because gas is lousy blend. OK let's see what Jeff's like does.

I think Greg might be right. Yesterday in Kansas i climbed up say 1,200 feet in elevation at 32 & 34 mpg. Today I climbed 1,700 feet and am back to 38 mpg with Colorado gas. Filled at Valero in Lamar. 38.5 mpg to pueblo going up hill. Same load, same weight, similar weather, same speeds, same driver. So I don't know. Either a miracle or Greg is correct in his observations that Kansas = lousy mpg on an xs11.

What's odd is that is a 12% to 15% drop in mpg. Just a point of interest I guess. Going uphill into NC mountains has about no pact on our mpg there. But we fill-up at Booger Hollow and who knows what's in that. Probably left over white lightening.

Jeff
                      78' XS1100 E
                      78' XS1100 E
                      78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                      '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                      '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

4 1/2 days of riding and I'm here.

Picture worth 1,000 words

Only 50 miles more tomorrow from Pueblo to Echo Canyon. Then will be in one spot for three (3) nights.

Jeff
                        78' XS1100 E
                        78' XS1100 E
                        78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                        '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                        '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Great riding JeffH, you da' MAN!

Nice thing about Colorado is the immediate Front Range doesn't get the super cells, they hit out on the eastern plains. Can get some big hail and rain, but not to the nth degree like further east.

Just got back from a shake down ride with the ZRX fully loaded, ready to roll tomorrow when Joe, Scott, and CZ get to my place in the a.m..

Bummer about Roo's Voyager 1500 losing oil pressure (posted in Rally thread by Motoman) on the way out here with Mike and the Cali contingent. Best to them and hopefully a fix to keep them on their way.
                          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Hi Jeff,
                            Thanks for sharing your ride with us. Well done dodging the storms
                            Phil
                            1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                            1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                            2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Bohn and I enjoyed a great trip and conversation today.
                              When he arrived at the QT to pick me up he surprised me by arriving in a brand new 2016 F150 Lariat 4X4! He sold his 2004 Chevy.
                              Boy... does that truck ride nice! Waay better than my '03 Dodge does!

We made it all the way to Pueblo before we stopped for fuel and dinner.
                              According to his range indicator, he could have made it all the way into Canon City on 1 tank of gas, thanks to it's 36 gl tank.
                              Even pulling his loaded trailer (about 2500 lbs.) he averaged about 15 mpg.

We are now in our room (8) at the Colorado Inn in Canon City!
                              As soon as we got unloaded and in our room it started raining again.
                              But, the good thing is NO SMOKE nor smokey smell! A cool 73 degrees...

Christine told us 2 days ago it was raining ashes here!

See you guys tomorrow!
                              Bob
                              '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                              "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Yup, see you guys then!
                                Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Working...
                                X