No announcement yet.

How I fell in love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah, me and a buddy are heading to Fort Collins CO, then to bend OR, we're doing tours of the breweries in the area, on the way back, we're heading through devils tower and mount Rushmore, any tips on touring gear, no fairings please...
    and also gas saving tips, I'm putting pod filters on, and I want the jets to be perfect... and XSives in these areas that know where the fun is, or perhaps a garage for a quick oil change, I'm planning on one halfway there...
    Also, anything in particular I need to worry about...

Comment

I've done trips as long as 3000 miles. My daughter rode on the back that time. She was 13. I've done it a bunch of times, and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
        I've done trips as long as 3000 miles. My daughter rode on the back that time. She was 13. I've done it a bunch of times, and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.
        You must have made some trips with Iron Butt Brent.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
          You must have made some trips with Iron Butt Brent.
          As a matter of fact, I have!
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
            As a matter of fact, I have!
            Heh heh....did he make you stop and take his picture by a bunch of fire stations?
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

We have lots of photos, but no fire stations. His daughter used to ride too! The girls made XS East three or four times. His daughter is now in college and my two youngest are in high school. I'm sure the girls will never forget their motorcycle trips with their dad. It should stay with them long after I'm gone.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by Squatch View Post
                yeah, me and a buddy are heading to Fort Collins CO, then to bend OR, we're doing tours of the breweries in the area, on the way back, we're heading through devils tower and mount Rushmore, any tips on touring gear, no fairings please...
                and also gas saving tips, I'm putting pod filters on, and I want the jets to be perfect... and XSives in these areas that know where the fun is, or perhaps a garage for a quick oil change, I'm planning on one halfway there...
                Will make a nice 'jaunt' for you two! If you were happening to roll on west a bit on I-70, then north to SaltLake,etc. garage/tools, etc. and sleeping accommodations offered here! May wanna reconsider the pod thing if you still have the original housing/filter. You WILL be pulling your hair to get it runnin 'happily'. It WILL take some patience and ALOT of trial and error to get to run good on either the upper rpm ranges or lower ones. Plainly stated, you no longer have the best of both worlds and may tire of the drone sound on a long trip, but that may be your preference. Ride safe!
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

When are you going to be in bend? Myself and the wife and my buddy and his wife will be in that area June 24th to 28th on our bikes. We will be in sunriver a few minutes south of bend
                  Don
                  1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
                  1989 kawi ex500
                  1996 yzf-r6
                  1999 yzf-r1
                  2001 kawi zx-6r
                  2000 Ducati 748
                  2002 YZF-R1
                  2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

@ddragon: sometime around then, we're still making plans, it's going to be roughly a month and a half after I get back home, the fiance wants me to herself.
                    @moto: I do hope we can hit the desert, I've always wanted to ride through one... I may have to bring you up in the plan, we would need that oil change, and maybe a hot shower...

Comment

@ddragon: sometime around then, we're still making plans, it's going to be roughly a month and a half after I get back home, the fiance wants me to herself.
                      @moto: I do hope we can hit the desert, I've always wanted to ride through one... I may have to bring you up in the plan, we would need that oil change, and maybe a hot shower...
                      well if you find yourself in central Oregon around those dates hit me up and We'll put down a couple beers. I can't offer room and board I don't have the room for it, but I can offer burgers and brews, and some BS
                      Don
                      1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
                      1989 kawi ex500
                      1996 yzf-r6
                      1999 yzf-r1
                      2001 kawi zx-6r
                      2000 Ducati 748
                      2002 YZF-R1
                      2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

all we need is a good source on somewhere to pitch a tent, but brews and burgers, that's more than enough, we may have hotel in town as well, well bend at least

Comment

Lots of good low cost places to stay in bend. I'll get you my contact info as we get closer to the time. If you look on the rally page for northwest I've posted the rides we are taking while down there. If you've never been to the area a ride around mckenzie pass or to crater lake is a must.
                          Don

old:
                          1989 kawi ex500
                          1996 yzf-r6
                          1999 yzf-r1
                          2001 kawi zx-6r
                          2000 Ducati 748
                          2002 YZF-R1
                          2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

The high desert is pretty much just west across state line some 40mi. and with 3bedroom/2bath and just the wife and I here, can easily accommodate......
                            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

wow, that's really generous of you, we can get steaks if you like, some form of payment will be due...

And I would really love to see other XSives out there, on our trip that is, I might post full plans on here to let everyone know when we are going to be where...

by the way, does anyone know where to get some hard bags for my XS special, and if the fork brace mod is worth it...

Comment

The fork brace is a must, but hard bags will be hard to find, mostly because of the mounts. You may find a SMALL shield will be VERY HELPFUL on a cross country trip. I have a small one on my MNS, and it makes riding easy for short and long trips. Main thing it does is keep the wind off your chest, so you don't feel the need to do a constant pull up with the handlebars. You still get the wind in your face, if you want, with the adjustment of the shield.
                                Welcome to the site, and thanks for your service! I only lasted 19 months in the Army, but that was back in the mid '70's.....
                                Ray Matteis
                                KE6NHG
                                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
                                X