How I fell in love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How I fell in love

most people my age would think that a 79 XS1100 special is a hand-me-down, but honestly, in my youth, I have come across one great conclusion, that I love the XS1100.
    It all started in a town caleed brainerd MN, I was riding my ex bike, a 2003 Yamaha FZ1, great bike for my tall self... but I digress, one day, riding around one of our many lakes, I had stopped in parking lot to find a vintage un-named motorcycle witha nother tall person perched atop it, naturally, my friendly spirit took over, and I introduced myself, I began asking about the bike he was riding, found out it was an XS110 base model (i think), eventually, I asked if he wanted to try out mine if I try out his, we both liked the possibility of riding something from a different world, but still fit on it...
    eventually we decided to trade for a while, this is when I found out about shaft rise, and how much fun it is for me, only a few issues arised, it wasn't in perfect working order, I guess the carbs were out of synch, and the points needed replacing, but I was hooked on the fact that this bike was older than me... yet ran at least better than I thought...

fast forward to now....
    I'm surfing craigslist, trying to find something to scratch the riders itch, looking was getting old, and I was gaining a tolerance to it, so one day, I was prepared to buy anything that I could fit...

I saw the ad... nestled between two junk bikes... a diamond in the rough, a 1979 XS 1100, slightly modernized (air filter, brakes, and clutch plates),
    I knew at that moment, before clicking that this was it, I sure am happy that I happened to be looking at that ad... I found her, a redheaded Excess special...

I am happy to be reunited to the bike of my dreams again, and in such pristine working order...

Glad to hear that you found the bike you were looking for. The one you road before, assuming it WAS an XS1100, didn't have points that needed replacing as there was never an XS1100 made with points, all versions came with electronic ignition from the first model in 1978. However, it's possible that it might have had the dreaded pickup coil wire problem, which has been known to plague almost every year of the model run, with the only one I've not heard of having that problem being the XJ1100 most likely due to it not having the mechanical vacuum advance which is what flexes the wires and causes them to break and is present on ALL the other models.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Good lookin' SF. They are addicting.

BTW......an XS has no "points".
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
        Good lookin' SF. They are addicting.

BTW......an XS has no "points".
        You type too slow Greg . But let's be clear, an XS11 has no points. Many others, at least before 1980 did have points.
        Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Spade Fuse Box
        750 FD Mod
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
          You type too slow Greg . But let's be clear, an XS11 has no points. Many others, at least before 1980 did have points.
          And you are a wordy son-of-a-b........iker Cy.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

And you are a wordy son-of-a-b........iker Cy.
            But I still got mine posted before you. And from my android tablet as well, which has is slower to type on than the computer.
            Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Spade Fuse Box
            750 FD Mod
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

Darn you auto correct!
              Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Spade Fuse Box
              750 FD Mod
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                Darn you auto correct!
                Hmmm....I see others have issues as well...

Glad you found a bike you love squatch! I have spent a decent amount of time in brainerd.
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

sorry

didn't realize that it didn't have points, I was generalizing problem, and that was the advice I received, she felt sluggish, and died with the clutch in as well... and the lights in the cluster kept going out... but besides that, I fit on an XS, which rules!!!
                  you know how hard it is for me to ride a motorcycle without looking like a dang fool

Comment

Originally posted by Squatch View Post
                    didn't realize that it didn't have points, I was generalizing problem, and that was the advice I received, she felt sluggish, and died with the clutch in as well... and the lights in the cluster kept going out... but besides that, I fit on an XS, which rules!!!
                    you know how hard it is for me to ride a motorcycle without looking like a dang fool
                    I'm only 6' but sometimes feel silly sitting on a bike too but I soon forget after riding for a while.

I ain't out to impress anyone but me anyway.
                    Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

I ain't out to impress anyone but me anyway.
                      dang good thing too
                      "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                      1981 LH

Comment

I'm 6 foot 218 lbs. I sometimes feel silly on my R1... but always feel comfy on my XS. I also am not out to impress anyone. But I will tell you the little guy @ cycle gear got a kick out of watching me pick out new street leathers around xmas time. I asked him where the Gorilla sizes are and he about died laughing. Damn Euro sizes! US Size 50 jacket is alot of leather
                        Don
                        1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
                        1989 kawi ex500
                        1996 yzf-r6
                        1999 yzf-r1
                        2001 kawi zx-6r
                        2000 Ducati 748
                        2002 YZF-R1
                        2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Originally posted by ddragon63 View Post
                          US Size 50 jacket is alot of leather
                          Hell, that's a whole cow! Lay off the cheeseburgers.
                          Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Hey! I have one of those whole cows I wear riding in the winter. I wear mesh in the summer. Living in Ca though I need to get some @ssless chaps to wear with the leather gear in the winter though and mesh pants for the summer (gotta have matching gear you know)
                            Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                            OEM Luggage Rack
                            Spade Fuse Box
                            750 FD Mod
                            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                            XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

I tried BA
                              I like to eat

The lil 5' 5" 125 lb kid helping me tried to be nice.. asked me if I was a 42 or 44 I told him its best to start with the biggest one you got and work backwards. the 52 was a little loose and the 50 was a little snug. they don't make a 51 without doing a custom order. so I got the 50 and smothered it in leather honey and stretched it..
                              Don
                              1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
                              1989 kawi ex500
                              1996 yzf-r6
                              1999 yzf-r1
                              2001 kawi zx-6r
                              2000 Ducati 748
                              2002 YZF-R1
                              2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Working...
                              X