Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kurt,
    Congrats on the new FJR! Awesome!
    Totally with you about long trips. That was why I went that way, too.

Can't tell ya how to adjust the grip heaters on an FJR. Maybe Harry can...

Mine are "no brainers" design... A knob on the left side that says low to high, and OFF. But that's Kawasaki...

Lol...

Here's what Ivan told me a while back about his first FJR...

I said, "I bet that's a great bike, huh?"
    He said, " Yes, it is. But I miss my old 11. This bike's like a surgeon's scalpel... I think it, it does it. But, it just doesn't have the soul of an 11... ya know what I mean?"

At first, his response surprised me. But, I knew exactly what he meant.
    There's nothing like riding an 11!

But, with that said, I love my C14, and it sure has made interstate long trips a lot more comfortable and enjoyable.

Here's wishing you many, many miles and smiles with the new FJR.
    I dig the blue, too.
    Bob
    '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
    "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
      DANG!! I already posted about that here didn't I.

Sucks getting old and absent minded.
      ha ha ha...welcome to the party pal...
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Welcome to the club

I'm pretty happy with mine
        Darrell
        78E
        80G project
        06FJR

Comment

Hey Kurt. Congrats on the new FJR acquisition. The blue is quite purty.

How do you like the seat? The stock seat caused loss of leg circulation for me and crated days-long pain after a 12 hour day in the saddle. I purchased a used Russell Day Long and that cured the leg/butt pain.

I went the cheapo route and bought a 2003 with 45,000 on the odometer. I had new wheel bearings installed, new tires, new triple tree riser and new handlebars, new front brake line and new clutch line. The total pull-back of the handlebars approaches the pull-back of an XS/XJ 1100. My back/shoulder cannot handle the forward lean-angle of the stock FJR.

This past Saturday, I rode 2-up for the first time on the FJR. It was much more satisfying than 2-up on my old XJ650.

cheers
          82 XJ1100 - sold
          96 Honda Magna 750 - Girlfriend's bike
          2000 ZRX1100 - sold
          2003 FJR1300 - Silver rocket

Comment

FJR - Modern, Fast, Reliable, Fun, NO STYLE!

Originally posted by HalfCentury View Post
            SNIP..
            How do you like the seat?
            SNIP....
            I went the cheapo route and bought a 2003 with 45,000 on the odometer.
            SNIP....
            My back/shoulder cannot handle the forward lean-angle of the stock FJR.

This past Saturday, I rode 2-up for the first time on the FJR. It was much more satisfying than 2-up on my old XJ650.
            HalfCentury,
            I have not yet noticed a problem with the seat. But, I have only 600 miles (first oil change time) on the bike. One of the salesmen at the dealer has a unused aftermarket leather seat from Corbin he's offering me for $300. I believe it's a $1000 setup. But it has a "Funky" looking stitch design I'm not too overwhelmed with. Probably gonna pass on it....

I don't think of a used one as a "Cheapo Route". I was afraid of buying a complicated and modern machine that may/may not have been either: maintained poorly, or beaten to heck, or both. A fairly large portion of the "Biker People" (aside from the average Harley Guy) that I have met are cheap "buggers". Cheap and this hobby don't mix. I think it's more likely than not I'd have purchased an FJR owned my some dummy using HarborFreight oil or some such nonsense in the machine. I like the warranty and the knowledge that every mile on this machine was mine.

I'm getting use to the bars but will likely try some of the available adjustments. I don't think they'll do much. IT does take some getting use to. I find myself setting the cruise and leaning back regularly.

Two-Up.

Rather than install one of those HIDEOUS Givi trunks (sorry to those that love them.... I don't), I purchased a beautiful backrest and rack fabricated by Gary on the FJRforum. Definitely NOT cheap, but really nice. Installed in fifteen minutes! Best welding I ever saw! The wife loves the backrest. I barely even notice she is back there She gets a little too close (i.e pushing me into the tank and a goose of the throttle pushes her back onto the rest (no kidding~!). The XS didn't mind a passenger but you knew you were 2-up. No effect on performance on this monster 1300.

STYLE......
            I was looking over my collection and come to the conclusion the FJR has little if any style. Sure, it's fast as heck, modern comforts, beautiful panniers, absolute reliability (iron butt guys love 'em), etc., etc., etc., BUT, the style of the XS1100 is far better still 37 years later. The XS11 just looks like a beautiful machine compared to this 0 to 120mph++ beast.

My XS11's aint going anywhere..... They just won't be traveling any out-of-state distances (except for the Annual Vintage Yamaha Rally in Stecoah)

Sincerely,
            Kurt Boehringer
            Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
            1978 - SR500 - Thumper
            1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
            1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
            1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
            1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
            1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
            1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
            1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
            1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
            1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
            1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
            2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

well said

Don't want this to become the FJR site.
              79 1100 SF Carmine Red stock
              85 Honda v65 Magna
              70 Yamaha HS1 90cc twin Californian Orange
              02 Road King (retirement gift)
              First bike-s 2-1967 Yamaha YM2C Big Bear Scramblers

Comment

Kurt,
                Not sure about a Corbin for the FJR, but as for the rest, Corbin seats are hard as concrete and expensive torture devices.

Lots of guys get them for C14's, and like the way the 2 piece looks.
                Corbin also makes a small "smuggler" trunk that replaces the passenger portion of the 2 piece seat. Those are cool, but expensive!

But it's usually not long after the C14 guys buy a Corbin, they post complaints of how hard they are, how lousy Corbin customer "service" is, how expensive they are, and who the best seat refurb guy is to redo it... shortly followed by seeing them up for sale.

Seats are like oil... Opinions vary. I tried 4 different ones before settling on the one I have... The optional Kawasaki gel seat.

Here's what I've figured out about seats- leather's slick, expensive, doesn't like to get wet, needs to have a lot of tlc.
                Stock seat covers usually suck and the foam tends to be too soft. Feels good for about 2 hours...then misery starts.
                Seats that are too hard are immediate torture devices.
                Bucket shaped seats are comfy for touring long stretches, but you need long legs to get your thighs over the wings to reach the ground (ie; RDL & Baldwin.)
                Long legs? These work well. Short inseam? Stay away!

I love the cover on my Kawasaki gel seat. It fits the seat snugly, and has a rough textured vinyl covering that holds me firmly in place...no sliding into the tank. Gel pad gives 12 hour comfort. Styled like the Sargent low version, but way better seat. Passengers can stay planted w/o needing something to constantly hold on to. Only seat I've found that provides the passenger with this.

Just some things I've experienced searching for the right seat for me.

Lots to consider, cause none of them are cheap.
                Bob
                '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Originally posted by kboehringer View Post
                  My XS11's aint going anywhere..... They just won't be traveling any out-of-state distances (except for the Annual Vintage Yamaha Rally in Stecoah)
                  Well, my XS is going EVERYWHERE. I just don't think it can be beat for reliability, ease of repair (if necessary) on the road, or .............STYLE. Most particularly for the price.

It has seen a LARGE chunk of the US with me sitting in the saddle and I'm pretty positive it'll see a lot more.

Enjoy y'all's plastic.
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Agree with the lack of comfort from the Corbin. Had a new Corbin on my ST, and the issue I found to be....very quickly is the memory-foam the use is a bit too dense and hard. Always wished I'd spent the extra $200 and bought a RDL(RusselDayLong). They are manufactured using a spring in the middle of riders position, and flared out for thigh support. Have riddin aboard a RDL on both an ST1100 and FJR(06). They are definitely the ultimate LD touring seat, as thousands that use them verify.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

2-Up Touring not exactly a XS11 SPECIAL strength

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                      Well, my XS is going EVERYWHERE.
                      Enjoy y'all's plastic.
                      Greg,
                      What I meant was "I AINT SELLING or DISPOSING of ANY of my XS11's".

Personally, I'm just not comfortable with a LONG distance and that attractive but very small SPECIAL fuel tank. The other MAJOR factor is I'm driving 2-up 90% of the time. That means me & the bride are stuck on the side of the road with a nearly 40 year old XS11 that no dealer will work on. I could slap a backpack on the bride with all the possible spares and tools?

Although I have certainly done a bunch of driving on my XS11 Specials 2-up, it is certainly not a great choice for 2-UP touring far from home. I doubt many would argue with that position?

If I didn't have a passenger 90% of the time, the FJR would still be on the dealer floor in Montgomery Alabama.

Respectfully,
                      Kurt Boehringer
                      Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
                      1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                      1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
                      1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
                      1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                      1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
                      1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
                      1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
                      1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
                      1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
                      1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
                      1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
                      2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

Hi Kurt,
                        The Venturer is a much better set up for two up riding. And newer at only 37 years old
                        Unlike the Special it makes a great touring bike if properly restored and maintained.
                        With no bride or anyone else who rides on the back 98% of the time
                        I have a Kawasaki Concours for the same reasons even though the XS has never left me at the side of the road....it did need electrical surgery in motel parking lot last time out
                        Even a used FJR was out of my price range.
                        Phil
                        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Mine came with a Corbin seat. So far it has been very comfortable. I have yet to put over 150 miles in a day on it though. Only 800 miles on it in the last two weeks since I bought it. So far, haven't noticed it at all, which is a good thing. A longer ride is in order to see if it changes being in the saddle all day.
                          Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                          '82 XJ1100
                          '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
                          X