No announcement yet.

Another bike project...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This build is really inspirational. I love how you just bite in and push ahead. When I'm working on projects like this, it usually comes down to a balance between attention to detail and getting it done in a timely fashion. (or at least that's what I tell myself when I realize how many unfinished projects I have) You, sir, have attention to detail and can get it done! Great job!

ps.
    That's a nice treat for your wife.
    '81 XS11H Venturer - holed up in storage while life happened since 07/08/04
    '81 Kawasaki KE175 enduro - 63 mph of smokey fun, now with collector plates!

Comment

Thanks for all the props, guys. I really appreciate it. The FZ has turned out to be an awesome little bike, with terrific handling for its age. I have to redo one fork seal, as it is leaking a bit, but other than that the bike runs really well. Here is a pic from the other day when I was out with a friend and his handbuilt CB550 racer. The two bikes are pretty close, other than gearing; He can nearly take me out of the gate, and I rule the top end!

Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Jealousy is a terrible thing.
        Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

Originally posted by Elevener View Post
          Jealousy is a terrible thing.
          Hi Elevener,
          Only got a C+ in English class, right?
          What you feel is ENVY.
          As in thou shalt not covet - - - It's a commandment.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

No. Dropped out way early fred. But your right. I stand corrected.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

Originally posted by Elevener View Post
              - - - No. Dropped out way early - - -
              Hi Elevener,
              no offence meant, just raggin' on ya. But envious? Yeah, me too. And sadly looking back to the days when I was thin enough to reach the bars on those neat bikes and still had the bottle to lean them over.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                Hi Elevener,
                no offence meant.
                Shoot fred, never even entertained the thought of being offended.

I just wish I had these skills. Somebody might consider a career change.

Comment

I really do wish I lived closer to some of you guys so we could all go out riding...

And talk about someone with skills, its the guy with the Gulf racer in the pic above. He built the tank and seat from scratch!

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

So, way back in April, I took this little thing out for a blast, and forgetting what I was on) I over-revved it, and blew it up!

On its way back in...

The carnage:

I looked into rebuilding it, but as the wife is happy with stock, and I could buy a replacement on eBay for the cheaper than I could build one, I ordered up a low miles engine. After some cleaning, tuning, and tweaking, here is the engine ready to go in:

All in a ready to roll!

Getting a couple small parts tomorrow, and the FZ is back in the game. Can't wait to get it out with the 1098S, since that was the inspiration for this build! Stay tuned...

Comment

What happened to the engine - I can't quite tell from the picture. Is it a roasted/spun bearing, or broken rod/main cap?

You're a lucky guy to have your wife let you ride her bike, and you have a lucky wife who has a husband to build/fix her bikes! It makes me envious.
                      '81 XS11H Venturer - holed up in storage while life happened since 07/08/04
                      '81 Kawasaki KE175 enduro - 63 mph of smokey fun, now with collector plates!

Comment

Very nice build, I like it alot. What about Isadora?
                        79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                        80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                        80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                        79 DT 100

Comment

Weeeelllll, I sold Isadora to a friend last spring, after my wife outgrew it. She wanted something that was more stable at speed, and that could do the highway speedlimit without being at redline. So I built her the FZ, and sold the Isadora. My friend bought Isadora for a learner bike for his brother. About three weeks ago, the brother crashed Isadora into a ditch a 45 MPH, and ended that story. (He is ok, had gear on), but sadly Isadora is a goner. It bent the frame, forks, tank, and a whole lot of other parts, so he wrote it off

Easy come, easy go, I guess. The FZ had spun the #1 con rod bearing and wrecked the rod and the crank. But the FZ is running like a top now, and the wife is glad to be back out on it. Here are some pics of it with my 1098 (which was the inspiration for the paint and tail on the FZ), and it by itself for some glam shots!

Comment

Working...
                          X