No announcement yet.

Another bike project...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Touche! I might just keep 'em all! Rode to a little get together in town tonight with the Mrs on her cafe bike (the new owner is not ready for it yet). Had a great time, so maybe there is something to it!

Elevener, how much can you get in your jacket, though. I ride around like Santa Claus most of the time, to avoid the pack!

In other news, I am just holding on the fairings. They are being handmade as we speak, but this takes some time, obviously. I should have them in about two weeks. I did do some of the final run in on it the other night, and I know right now this bike will be an awesome ride. I was able to drag a knee at 20mph in a 30' circle, with more tire and clearance to spare. I can only imagin when it is up to speed...
    Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by t99ford View Post
      touche! I might just keep 'em all! Rode to a little get together in town tonight with the mrs on her cafe bike (the new owner is not ready for it yet). Had a great time, so maybe there is something to it!

Elevener, how much can you get in your jacket, though. I ride around like santa claus most of the time, to avoid the pack!

In other news, i am just holding on the fairings. They are being handmade as we speak, but this takes some time, obviously. I should have them in about two weeks. I did do some of the final run in on it the other night, and i know right now this bike will be an awesome ride. I was able to drag a knee at 20mph in a 30' circle, with more tire and clearance to spare. I can only imagin when it is up to speed...:d
      great quote!
      Daily Driver - '04 Suzuki Marauder 1600
      Project Bike - '79 XS1100 Special

Hi my name is Nate and I'm am Addict...I quit riding every night before bed and can't help but start riding again the next morning...

Ride Till You Die!

"MESS WITH THE BEST DIE LIKE THE REST" -Semper Fidelis!

“Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.”

"When in doubt, Gas it!. If it doesnt fix the problem, at least it will end the suspense!"

Comment

Haha, I have stuffed a 2 liter drink in my jacket. It was tight and uncomfortable. Waiting for you to get the fairings in.
        Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

I am waiting, too!

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

The fairings finally showed on Friday! So in a impatience-fueled frenzy, I painted everything yesterday. It all got 3 coats of OEM Ferrari red base, followed by a solid three coats of poly clear. Used almost a quart of clear on the body, but it is worth it. After it had cured a couple hours, I carefully set the tank and tail on to get a little preview. I am very happy with the results. I might be able to get the rest of the body on on Monday...we'll see. I also ordered the smoke windshield for it yesterday, and Dennis Kirk promises delivery by Friday. Might be rideable by next weekend! Pics:

raw gelcoat

primer

Basecoat

clear

more pics in the next post!

Comment

Obviously drawing heavy cues from the Ducati 1198

Comment

Amazing work like always! Looking forward to seeing the rest of it!
                1979 XS1100 SF - My first project

Comment

Ya wana come paint my bike?
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights
                  Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines
                  Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Nate, I am too exhausted from this one!

Final assembly on the fairings:

A blur of a weekend, but it now wears clothes!

Comment

Very nice!
                      Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights
                      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines
                      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

that looks brand new!

very nice!

It looks like it will be very fast.

john
                        John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                        '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                        Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Got the bike all together and got the shakedown run done with only smiles as a result. Broke and indicated 130 MPH with more to give, so the performance is definitely there! Handling is rock solid, even in corners. Braking is adequate as well. All in all a great little bike. The Mrs. is taking to to it as well--she got in about 20 miles on it and loves it! Thanks for following along, guys!

Comment

Bike looks great!

Love the red.

Comment

Nice work T99........and attention to detail that goes past the tupperware I see!
                              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

great work,
                                the bike's come up a treat.
                                pete

new owner of
                                08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                                1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                                zrx carbs
                                18mm float height
                                145 main jets
                                38 pilots
                                slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                                fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Working...
                                X