No announcement yet.

Another bike project...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like your build threads. Lots of pics!
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

And lots of skills.
      Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

That as well!
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Awe, shucks you guys. This bike is pretty much just a restoration, skill nothing about it!

On a bright note, after I got the engine out, I was contemplating the knock noise that the PO was convinced was the bottom end. I pulled the oil pan, and sure enough, there were some flakes of bronze, bearing looking material. So, I split the cases to check everything out, as I would not have been able to live with myself if the bike died of a bad bottom end bearing, and I had just had the motor out. Well, turns out the bronze was actually some kind of coating on the starter clutch drive gear. The cam, rod, and main bearings look as new. Nary a scuff on the shift dogs, gears, or even the camshaft. Thing looks mint inside. So I resealed a couple leaks it had had with modern stuff, and put it all back together. I still want to do all the regular maintenance, valve clearances and such, and then I will do the final clean and detail on the engine.

Oh, and I found a pretty decent black seat, so that abomination that is currently installed will be leaving

I am hoping to have this thing on the road within a month or two, for our upcoming short riding season. The wife's previous bike (Isadora...that build is on here somewhere) has been sold and the new owner is giving me a little time for this build before pickup. Stay tuned, more updates (with pics) to follow!
          Last edited by T99Ford; 04-10-2011, 10:26 PM.
          Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Just a little note on progress, so called...

Got the engine back in the frame, with the swing arm cleaned up and re-lubed. Pulled the front forks apart and gave them the old "clean and reseal". Got the tires dismounted, cleaned up and re-lubed the wheel bearings. Then painted the rims and took them to get new hides installed. A couple other little odds and ends, and we are to here:

It is going to move slowly for a little while now, as I have to wait for the tires to be ordered, and make sure the budget allows for ordering the plastics. Hopefully it won't be too long, though.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Wow this one is going to look great!
              1979 XS1100 SF - My first project

Comment

Got a few things done since the last post. Mounted some fresh hides on painted wheels, striped 'em, and mounted 'em. Got the brakes all sorted. Installed and reworked the wiring harness to accomodate the new locations of all the electrics. And checked the seat fit with the new homes for the electrics. Then I painted and re-mounted the exhaust. Got a roller now!

Comment

You do good work man!
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Got a little progress done. Got the tank installed, and everything hooked up to make it run. Had a small fight with some of the lines left over from the now non-existent evaporative emissions system, but once resolved, it ran well. Yesterday I got the chain, so installed that and made a runner out of it. Took it out for a lap up to 100 MPH, and the thing is smooth as silk. Suspension is pretty dialed, and very steady. Braking is good, although not up to my VTR (4 piston vs 2 piston). I did not get too crazy on cornering on the new hide, but the little I did showed that this bike will be very adept at cornering. All in all I am pretty pleased with it. Now on to fairings and paint!

Comment

very nice, you do good work.
                      Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Looking very good!

Keep it up man.

Comment

Did you say fairings?

Cant wait to see it. I like what you do to bikes.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

Thanks guys!

Elevener--you caught me! Ha, I just couldn't see around the frame on this bike to leave it naked, short of making it a flat tracker. I actually fell in love with the GP style dual headlights and fairing, but obviously could not live with the chunky tail. So yes, fairings for this one, and added comfort for the wife while riding

Ordered the full replacement set from Airtech today. Should be here in 3-4 weeks!

Comment

Originally posted by T99Ford View Post
                              - - - four bikes for two people is wholly unnecessary - - -
                              Hi T99,
                              how can you say that? Four is the absolute minimum.
                              1) A small capacity dual purpose for trail rides.
                              2) An antique of some sort or another to ride on Sunday afternoons.
                              3) Something serious for long distance work.
                              4) And something with carrying capacity for fetching the groceries.
                              Then there's scooters, mopeds and sidecars on top of that for those that fancy them.
                              Alas that I'm down to 3 due to my age and circumstances but what's your excuse?
                              Fred Hill, S'toon
                              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Totally agree fred. Im up to three but am combining your number 3 and 4 for the moment ( hey I can fit two twelve packs and a few food items in my bags connection racepack)

Comment

Working...
                                X