New Canadian Member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Canadian Member

Hello! I am a new member to the forum! I bought my 1979 XS1100 back in March and have been slowly tinkering away with it to make it road worth again. I bought it basically as a barn find. It was missing all the lights, seat has had many modifications over the years making any repairs impossible, ran on 3 cylinders (at least it ran), missing the centre stand and came with a terrible aftermarket exhaust that needs to be removed whenever I need to do oil changes. Bike seems to be a project someone started and then lost interest in.

Fast forward to today! Ive located a near mint condition seat, replaced all the lights with LEDs, cleaned and rebuilt the carbs, located a centre stand and have been able to have it on the road for brief periods of time. Its not 100% but its getting close. All the maintenance has been brought back up, bled the brakes (Already had new pads), new throttle cable, someone put new rubber front and back on it and never rode it (Still has the nubs), and im pretty sure the shaft oil has also been replaced (Still need to confirm but it looks good).

I still need to do the front fork seals, find a proper exhaust and figure out why it runs from what I can tell lean. Its lazy until about 4000RPM and then it wants to really go. The bike also REALLY likes to backfire when decelerating. So lots to do! I'm sure Ill be around with questions!
    Current: 1979 Yamaha XS1100
    Previous: 1980 Honda CB750
    Previous: 1981 Suzuki GS750

Glad to hear you picked up an XS11 project. Welcome to the Forum.
    Nice you have it good enough to be on the road already. Great FUN after you get things all sorted out.
    Keep us Posted.

Jeff
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Welcome!
      The running problem may be a bad leak with the intake rubbers. They can leak at the head and cause problems. Do a search on carb rebuilds and problems to get some ideas on what to look for. An easy way to know is spray a little carb cleaner around each manifold as it's running, and look for an increase in RPM's.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Cool, welcome... I too am Canadian... on the west coast.

Comment

Quite a few Canadians on here. I am in Lacombe Alberta. We don't seem to post as much because our riding season is so much shorter than down south but we enjoy the heck out of them. Bonus is our bikes generally have less mileage at this age
          2-79 XS1100 SF
          2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
          80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
          Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Greetings from Winnipeg! Enjoying this hot weather to get out and ride my '80G. 97,500 km and still going strong! Spotted a '78 or '79 standard the other day (had a tail behind the seat) all painted up metal flake red with a flat black 4 into1 just purring along. Was on my pedal-type 2-wheeler or I would have hunted him down. They're (we're) still out there !
            Last edited by LenB; 07-18-2024, 07:24 AM.
            1980 XS1100G (one owner-me)
            1983 Kawasaki GPZ750 (Frankenbike)
            1984 Honda VFR750S
            Owned - 1976 XS750D
            Owned - 1972 Honda CB750
            Owned - (unknown year) XS650
            (+ too many Yammies/Hondas to mention)

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
              Quite a few Canadians on here. I am in Lacombe Alberta. We don't seem to post as much because our riding season is so much shorter than down south but we enjoy the heck out of them. Bonus is our bikes generally have less mileage at this age
              Just ticked over 34000 kms on mine last night

Comment

Great to see therr are so many Canadian members! My bike is showing around 40500kms and I believe it. I don't think this one has rolled over.

I think Ive worked out what the running issue is. Someone before me made a mess of the carbs unfortunately and really messed up the fuel air mixture screws. I haven't had a lot of time to eliminate all the laziness but it no longer back fires when I ride. So I think I should have that sorted out soon.
                Current: 1979 Yamaha XS1100
                Previous: 1980 Honda CB750
                Previous: 1981 Suzuki GS750

Comment

Working...
                X