Squealing Brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squealing Brakes

So I'm almost afraid to use my front brakes (80G) due to the horrific squealing they make when applied. I've done the brake grease behind the pads thing several times and that seemed to shut them up for a while and they're not worn to the point of needing replacement. Was thinking of giving the faces a buffing on the wire wheel to break the shine but that's likely again only a temporary solution and may just cause them to wear faster. Any similar experiences / solutions welcome.
    1980 XS1100G (one owner-me)
    1983 Kawasaki GPZ750 (Frankenbike)
    Owned - 1976 XS750D
    Owned - 1972 Honda CB750
    Owned - (unknown year) XS650
    (+ too many Yammies/Hondas to mention)

Make a shim for the back of the piston side pad, usually solves the problem, has for me. This is the material I use, need to custom cut and form to fit our brake pads...

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...60-262-264-265

Last edited by bikerphil; 08-28-2023, 04:49 PM.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Am I right in identifying this as a piece of stainless steel sheetmetal? I assume the thinner the better. Also assume this will help absorb any noisy vibrations. Like to try and source something north of the 49th if I could (shipping/duties/exchange can get silly) Any opinions on this product?

https://fortnine.ca/en/sbs-brake-pad-shims-9500
      Owned - 1976 XS750D
      Owned - 1972 Honda CB750

Comment

Yes, it's a .012" thick piece of stainless. The item in your link is a fiber type shim, who knows, may work as well or better. The adhesive backing would make it easier, no bending any tabs. The one I listed is for an old Volvo or Audi.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20230828_233914.jpg Views:	0 Size:	166.3 KB ID:	875171
        Last edited by bikerphil; 08-28-2023, 10:23 PM.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

The bike came with shims stock but as you know previous owners chucked those in the trash on an early brake pad change. This is a picture of a stock rear unit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1J3-25827-00.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	875175

Comment

When brake pads squeal it's actually a vibrating sound. Grease and brake squeal spray are effective to a point. The stainless shim is about the best material because it's so thin and can take intense heat. You can also shape the leading edge of the pad by grinding it off to a slight angle. Be careful of the dust as it's most likely asbestos.

Click image for larger version  Name:	BRAKE PAD EDGE.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.7 KB ID:	875177

Comment

Owned my standard from the showroom floor - never had any shims for the front brake pads. At least they're all the same so I can rotate them directionally maintaining location (fronts stay front only).

bikerphil - not paying over $30 shipping for a .49 cent part - thanks for the link anyway - will try and source some sheetmetal stock of the same specs here. May try the fiber ones but don't think they'll be very durable.

DEEBS11 - thanks for the tip regarding slight bevelling the leading edge - will do both leading and trailing as I rotate directionally.
              Owned - 1976 XS750D
              Owned - 1972 Honda CB750

Comment

Also, use a green scrubber pad and clean the rotors! If you can put a large flat surface on it, use fine crocus cloth. The rotors can have things "stick" in the metal and cause noise as well.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

It's true. Yamaha 1J3-25827-10-00 SHIM, CALIPER. 99% of these were thrown away with the worn pad because they look like they are part of the pad. My 78 that I pulled out of the swamp still has them and I transferred them to the new pads.

Click image for larger version  Name:	brake shim front.jpg Views:	0 Size:	85.0 KB ID:	875204
                  Last edited by DEEBS11; 08-29-2023, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Thanks Ray - will do! Silent stopping here I come!

DEEBS11 - only the front brakes making any noise - no shims shown on that fiche.

Last edited by LenB; 08-29-2023, 10:59 AM.
                    Owned - 1976 XS750D
                    Owned - 1972 Honda CB750

Comment

Brake shims somehow survived on this basket case bike.

Name:	00J0J_lOd75NWyX6S_1200x900.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	875206

Comment

Len, what year is that diagram? Mine is a 78. 1980? (I just checked) looks like the shims were dropped for later bikes. Cost savings?
                        Last edited by DEEBS11; 08-29-2023, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Flashing material for roofing is cheap and could be used for shims.

Name:	DSCN1295.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	875209

Comment

My bike had what I believe to be the stock pad backers and they squealed just as much with them off as they did on. Cutting a groove with a hacksaw blade along the long length of the pad helps since it gives metal and brake dust an escape point. The only other thing it could be is a need to replace the brake caliper shims, the only thing I haven't tried
                            1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

DEEBS11 - took your roof flashing suggestion and ran with it. A little fancy cutting to make a nice "glove" for the puck-side front pads + a dab of brake grease and so far - dead silent! Neighbors already think I'm nuts - now it's for sure after flying down the front street and hammering on the brakes several times to help seat the shims.
                              Owned - 1976 XS750D
                              Owned - 1972 Honda CB750

Comment

Working...
                              X