No announcement yet.

single fuel tap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Marty. I think I am going to try one on the left side with a tee under the tank to feed the carbs. I will blank off the right side.

Comment

Originally posted by DEEBS11 View Post
      What do guys think of this manual type? Not sure if it would flow enough if only one side was used.

DEEBS
      it looks like it might be big enough to flow !!!! has it got 46mm hole spacing ? and will you use it on the right side because of the outlet ?

Comment

Yes Tony, It's made for an XS11. It comes with a straight outlet or a right angle outlet. Both included in the package. Right side so I can keep my hands on the throttle and front brake.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18572956715...Bk9SR6qdsoPDYQ

Comment

Keep in mind that there's a pretty big market for the XS650. There are plenty of vendors and quite a few parts that come from the same bin for lots of bikes. Generally, if you look at XS650 parts, look at 1978 and later. Just use caution. XS650 went to single petcock in 1980 and the bolt spacing is the same as the XS1100 standard.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

What do guys think of this manual type? Not sure if it would flow enough if only one side was used.

DEEBS
            I have those on some of my bikes and I like them a lot, although I use two of them on each bike.
            Last edited by Radioguylogs; 02-03-2023, 09:16 PM.
            -Mike
            _________
            '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
            '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
            '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
            '79 XS750SF 17k miles
            '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
            '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
            '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Originally posted by Tonyxs11 View Post

yeah thats an idea but when on reserve more crap can get through to the carbs, the ON position has a tall tube so its harder for the small partials to get into the tap. and if water gets in the tank it sits on the bottom and can get through the reserve side. I try to stay away from reserve if I can as much as possible.

Good point!

Comment

Both ports are protected from particles. I have about 750 miles on my single unit on the left. Works great. No issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Tonyxs11 View Post

yeah thats an idea but when on reserve more crap can get through to the carbs, the ON position has a tall tube so its harder for the small partials to get into the tap. and if water gets in the tank it sits on the bottom and can get through the reserve side. I try to stay away from reserve if I can as much as possible.
                  Vinegar tank flush, in-line filters and petcock rebuild kits did the trick for me. No more dropping cylinders because of debris in the gas. Don't you have to get into the habit of shutting off non-vacuum petcocks for fear of a stuck float draining the tank on the ground when shut off? Gas is too expensive to risk that.
                  1980 XS1100G (one owner-me)
                  1983 Kawasaki GPZ750 (Frankenbike)
                  Owned - 1976 XS750D
                  Owned - 1972 Honda CB750
                  Owned - (unknown year) XS650
                  (+ too many Yammies/Hondas to mention)

Comment

Originally posted by LenB View Post

Vinegar tank flush, in-line filters and petcock rebuild kits did the trick for me. No more dropping cylinders because of debris in the gas. Don't you have to get into the habit of shutting off non-vacuum petcocks for fear of a stuck float draining the tank on the ground when shut off? Gas is too expensive to risk that.
                    yes, you should always shut off a fuel tap if its got an OFF position. just like the old days

Comment

Don't know about the rest of you guys but in order to be sure I don't get rust, water, crud etc into my fuel system I often empty the tank by turning it over when it's off the bike to make sure that kinda stuff can't build up much over time.
                      1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

All my bikes are POR 15 lined. The oldest tank (KZ1000) was done in 1999 and it still looks like the inside of an aluminum beer can. Avoid Kreem. I used it on my Indian in 1992 and it turned to glass and shattered several years later perhaps due to the alcohol level in todays fuel. I had to strip it out and re-line it with POR 15. I have used Red Coat on a few antique snow mobiles with good results but it's dark inside. POR15 is very bright silver color. You can see very well inside the tank with a lighter.

Comment

All my bikes are POR 15 lined. The oldest tank (KZ1000) was done in 1999 and it still looks like the inside of an aluminum beer can. Avoid Kreem. I used it on my Indian in 1992 and it turned to glass and shattered several years later perhaps due to the alcohol level in todays fuel. I had to strip it out and re-line it with POR 15. I have used Red Coat on a few antique snow mobiles with good results but it's dark inside. POR15 is very bright silver color. You can see very well inside the tank with a lighter.
                          Do you know how to remove a POR 15 liner? Is it removed with paint stripper or a solvent such as MEK or acetone?
                          Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

Marty, I was told once that MEK is a solvent for POR15. Will probably damage the outside paint as well.

Comment

por15 is good stuff, used it a few times myself. ive heard others that had problems with it but they didn't do the prep right before hand.

Comment

Isn't prep the key to any operation?

Comment

Working...
                                X