• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DEEBS11 View Post
    Isn't prep the key to any operation?
    it is deebs

Comment

Originally posted by DEEBS11 View Post
      Marty, I was told once that MEK is a solvent for POR15. Will probably damage the outside paint as well.
      I removed a liner without doing paint damage. I didn't know what it was. I tried paint stripper. It failed. Acetone did it. I relined the tank with Caswell epoxy.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

I have read reviews that Caswell is a quality product. I have cleaned quite a few tanks with apple cider vinegar. Let it soak for a time depending on corrosion level (usually a few days). Rinse with a garden hose. This last step is important: You can smell the acidic scent in the clean tank after you rinse with water and that will cause the metal to flash rust when it dries which is normal. If you are going to line it with an epoxy type chemical this is good and it is listed in the instructions. However, sometimes I don't use a liner for whatever reason and you can make a baking soda mixture and slosh it around to neutralize the acid. I did this C70 tank last summer which had fuel in it since the 1990s. It was really bad. I used apple cider vinegar/baking soda and it looks like new. No liner used.

Comment

This is a 74 BMW I did in 2006. Stripped out the red factory liner and then used POR15. Still looks great in 2023. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0222.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	872940 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0221.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	872941

Comment

This my winter sidecar rig. POR15 process in 2013.

Comment

Working...
            X