single fuel tap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• single fuel tap

I read somewhere on here someone uses just one tap on their XS11 but can't remember who ? thinking of doing the same thing as I remember when they go on reserve you have to turn both taps over taking your hand off the throttle/front brake !!!! don't see why they need two taps as most bikes only use one like my GSX1100.

One tap is all you need as long as it flows enough fuel to feed four cylinders at maximum demand. The XS650 had two fuel taps through 1979. That's one for each carburetor. In 1980, they went to a single petcock and smaller carburetors. So, .....
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

I've been running single left tap on all my 11's for years. Never any problems with insufficient fuel flow. Makes removing the tank so much easier. Made an aluminium block off plate for the right side. Yes, it makes no sense having to take your hand off the throttle to switch to reserve.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
        I've been running single left tap on all my 11's for years. Never any problems with insufficient fuel flow. Makes removing the tank so much easier. Made an aluminium block off plate for the right side. Yes, it makes no sense having to take your hand off the throttle to switch to reserve.
        cheers Phil, thats what i'll do then. I might keep the right tap in place so it looks factory and just block it off.

Comment

I was just reading this and a question comes to mind. If you run just one tap on the left side, and not saying that there is anything wrong with that, what would be the difference if you have to switch to reserve while going down the road? Meaning that if one tap suffices, and that tap being on the left clutch hand side; then what would be the difference if you just ran with two taps and only moved the left to reserve if running low on fuel? Wouldn't you essentially be providing the same amount of fuel whether you have two taps or one? Am I missing something other than just wanting to eliminate the tap?
          2 - 80 LGs bought one new
          81 LH
          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
          22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
          Jim

Comment

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post
            I was just reading this and a question comes to mind. If you run just one tap on the left side, and not saying that there is anything wrong with that, what would be the difference if you have to switch to reserve while going down the road? Meaning that if one tap suffices, and that tap being on the left clutch hand side; then what would be the difference if you just ran with two taps and only moved the left to reserve if running low on fuel? Wouldn't you essentially be providing the same amount of fuel whether you have two taps or one? Am I missing something other than just wanting to eliminate the tap?
            if I remember right the left tap only supplies the left two carbs, and vice versa

Comment

Originally posted by Tonyxs11 View Post

if I remember right the left tap only supplies the left two carbs, and vice versa
              Correct! The plumbing needs a little work to run all four on one. A simple fix.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post

Correct! The plumbing needs a little work to run all four on one. A simple fix.
                yep, ordered a brass T piece

Comment

That makes more sense. Thanks for the clarification.
                  81 LH
                  02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                  Jim

Comment

Single line, now plenty of room for electric shut off valve. Used a nylon T on this set.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220726_225903.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	871937
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                      Single line, now plenty of room for electric shut off valve. Used a nylon T on this set.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220726_225903.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	871937
                      Ok, now we need to know more about the electric shut off valve. Are they availabe? Source?
                      81 LH
                      02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                      Jim

Comment

Ok, now we need to know more about the electric shut off valve. Are they available? Source?
                        It is basically a 12V solenoid operated valve that works with all types of fuel/liquid/gas. The one in the picture above is the cheap china variation which is nice because of the mounting holes it has, allowing a mounting bracket to be easily fabricated.

The better quality American made one doesn't have the mounting holes but is a much better made unit. This type I would zip tie to the top of the carb bank.

You will need to buy some 90 deg. 1/8" NPT fittings separately. Wiring it up is simple, one wire to ground and the other to key switched power.

Better unit (AFC-111)
                        https://www.ebay.com/itm/175292574550

China made unit (2w-025-08)
                        https://www.amazon.com/Brass-Electri.../dp/B01M5IXT4D
                        Last edited by bikerphil; 02-02-2023, 07:59 AM.
                        2H7 (79)
                        3H3

Comment

That's a cool idea, if you use one why would you bother using a petcock? Seems to me the second one might be a tad small only being 1/8"
                          1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                            That's a cool idea, if you use one why would you bother using a petcock? Seems to me the second one might be a tad small only being 1/8"
                            you would loose reserve.

Comment

bikerphil, are you running a Pingel petcock?
                              Marty (in Mississippi)
                              XS1100SG
                              XS650SK
                              XS650SH
                              XS650G
                              XS6502F
                              XS650E

Comment

Working...
                              X