Carb rebuild kits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb rebuild kits?

Being new to the XS11 world, this Club has proven itself invaluable. You see, the bike I bought is a bit of a Frankenstein and the PO sure did a number on it. Needless to say, I’d be lost without this Club’s posts. When I bought the bike, the registration said I had a ’78. I later learned that I had a ’79SF. I found what parts can and cannot be exchanged amongst the various years including their minor or major idiosyncrasies, like the exhaust systems and engines. BTW, I have linked these great posts below.

Now I have just learned from Crazy Steve’s ‘carb identifier’ post that my ’79 came with either ‘80, ’81 or 82 carburetors, but judging by the float bowls they are most likely ’81, ’82. So on that note, how can I be certain to order the correct carb rebuild kit? Are the kits the same for the later carbs? Any advise as well as recommendations on good kits would be very much appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Dan

Vin identifier: https://xs11.club/forum/miscellaneou...identification
    Interchange guide by Crazy Steve https://xs11.club/forum/repairs/inte...austs-footpegs
    Carb Identifier: Carb Identifier Guide - XS11.com Forums

The later kits should all fit, as you do NOT want to change out ANY jet or needle. The kits are good for the new seat/needle at the fuel inlet, gaskets, and "O" rings. Do NOT replace the old jets with any from the kit!!! If the jets will not clean up, you need to order Mikuni jets, no other jet will work correctly, I know from experience.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I believe DiverRay is talking about K&L kits-many issues with replacing the jets. Order only genuine Mikuni jets.
      1980 XS1100 SG
      Inline fuel filters
      New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
      160 mph speedometer mod
      Kerker Exhaust
      xschop K & N air filter setup
      Dynojet Recalibration kit
      1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
      1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Thanks Guys, ....while I have you, would you happen to know of any "maintenance cheat-sheets" on line for the various years? As I mentioned in my post above, I thought I had an '78, which then learned it was a '79 and with an '80 motor and '81-'82 carbs. I have the '78/'79 Clymer repair manual which is great for the most of the bike but I think I need to source an '80-'81 manual to work on the motor and carbs. For now I just need tune-up and torque specs like the one provided in the Clymer manual (attatched). Any ideas where to find this? My apologies if I missed it elsewhere on this site.
        Dan
        Attached Files

Comment

This member offers free downloadable service manuals...

http://www.ringler.us/family/mybike.html
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Is there a way to properly identify the Mikuni carb model number? e.g., BS34-11 ???-00. As noted, I know my carbs are late model, but not sure how this is referenced back to the model number. I think this is needed when purchasing rebuild kits? I suspect the model # relates to the serial number on the frame and or motor, but how can I make sure the carb is matched? Does this even matter?...or is this number important when sizing jets?

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkinspickle View Post
              Is there a way to properly identify the Mikuni carb model number? e.g., BS34-11 ???-00. As noted, I know my carbs are late model, but not sure how this is referenced back to the model number. I think this is needed when purchasing rebuild kits? I suspect the model # relates to the serial number on the frame and or motor, but how can I make sure the carb is matched? Does this even matter?...or is this number important when sizing jets?
              The main concerns you have already figured out. Early or late carb. The rebuild kits as has been noted are limited on what you should actually use out of them and if a jet is needed you would be getting those, hopefully to stick with original Mikuni. Everything about the early carbs internals are different from the later carbs. Look in the tech section and find the posts on the differences between the carb years and you will see what we are saying to you illustrated.
              2 - 80 LGs bought one new
              81 LH
              02 FXSTB Nighttrain
              22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
              Jim

Comment

Parts 'n more in Canada has the basic rebuild kit for the late carbs... Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220607-223235.png
Views:	179
Size:	252.4 KB
ID:	869034
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks all,

Comment

Working...
                  X