Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Str8Legs
    replied
    The bike is in generally good condition, I bought it from a guy who's son bought it at an auto auction and then realized they had no idea what to do with motorcycles. Scooped it up for $600 with a numbers matching clean PA title, things were rough around the edges cosmetically but everything mechanical seemed to be ok. Love marks include a scrape on the left hand side of the tank, scrapes on one side of the exhaust (can't remember which, probably left side), scraped up crank cover (it's clearly seen the ground at least once), bent up brake lever, one mirror missing (also left hand side), and a slightly messed up rear taillight and turn signal housing. All in all not as bad as it seems, it does have a set of crash bars in front of the the headers and I'm guessing they were put on after then first minor incident it may have had. The engine turned, had some oil in it, had compression, and it did go into and out of all the gears so I've covered my bases as best I could there.

Things I've done since having the bike:
    • Revived the battery on a charger, shockingly not entirely dead. All lights come on and work (including neutral light), starter works after replacing blown fuse. Headlight does not work, but I haven't bench tested the bulb or put a meter to the wires to check continuity
    • Tank is off and in the process of cleaning, was filled with rust and quite a bit of ENTIRELY varnished fuel, unfortunately the gentlemen before me had the thing turning and sucked some of that through the petcocks and octy, all parts have been disassembled, cleaned, and reconditioned with new seals (still debating on whether or not to keep the octy), all fuel lines will be replaced
    • Carbs have come off and all been cleaned individually, new mains, new idles (old ones needed to be drilled out), new float needles and seats, new air mixture screws, and new float gaskets. Throttles were all gummed up but have been cleaned and now move freely. Diaphragms all hold vacuum. Only almost lost the ball detents for the choke rod multiple times....
    • Oil has been drained and changed, had a coworker 3d print me a few new dipsticks for the middle and rear oils but haven't changed them yet
    • Front MC has been rebuilt and bled but the caliper may be a little sticky, will reevaluate once the bike is moving under it's own power (very slowly at first). Rear MC has been rebuilt using a hodgepodge of parts and I think it's close enough, still in the process of bleeding those lines and having just as fun a time as others on here have had with that system
    • Put air in the tires, they've been holding so it's enough to get the bike rolling to make sure everything works. Will be getting new rubber once I know the thing runs, not currently worth the investment
    Really just waiting on finishing the tank and putting the fuel system back together at this point, once I have it running I'll put the rest of the work in. I do intend on keeping this bike and putting many miles on it, I'm stationed in DC and go home to NJ on most weekends so some long highway miles would be in its future. In the meantime I do have a 2020 Yamaha R3 that I toodle around on so I'm just taking my time on the bike and working as my schedule allows.
    Last edited by Str8Legs; 11-10-2021, 07:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Ranger_xs1100
    replied
    Originally posted by cajun31 View Post
    Nice Bike. It should be fairly easy to bring it back. Common sense tells you, hopefully, to make sure everything is mechanically sound before spending on cosmetics. With only 7000 on the clock, if the speedometer is the original is no miles at all. Will be a great bike once you get it done. By the way those tires are the originals. Ranger and I have restored several and I am ready to help you and I would think so is Bob. Keep us posted on your progress and remember one thing about this forum. There is no such thing as a stupid question.
    YEP... always willing to help when I can!

Leave a comment:

• cajun31
    replied
    Originally posted by Str8Legs View Post
    Good evening fine gentlemen of the forum! I have recently come into possession of an '81 Midnight Special, known affectionately as "The Midnight Turd" by my colleagues and I, as I decided I was bored and needed something to fill my time with. After finding a couple of threads very informative I've made an account so that I can properly join in on the fun. Attached is a picture of her in all her glory, though partially disassembled. 7k on the clock and what appears to be original tires.
    Nice Bike. It should be fairly easy to bring it back. Common sense tells you, hopefully, to make sure everything is mechanically sound before spending on cosmetics. With only 7000 on the clock, if the speedometer is the original is no miles at all. Will be a great bike once you get it done. By the way those tires are the originals. Ranger and I have restored several and I am ready to help you and I would think so is Bob. Keep us posted on your progress and remember one thing about this forum. There is no such thing as a stupid question.

Leave a comment:

• Radioguylogs
    replied
    I think "turd" is too harsh- it's a good looking bike with nice cosmetics.

Congratulations and welcome!

Leave a comment:

• Ranger_xs1100
    replied
    Nice find,,, I think she has great potential! Please keep us posted.

Leave a comment:

• Str8Legs
    started a topic Boredom bought the bike

Boredom bought the bike

Good evening fine gentlemen of the forum! I have recently come into possession of an '81 Midnight Special, known affectionately as "The Midnight Turd" by my colleagues and I, as I decided I was bored and needed something to fill my time with. After finding a couple of threads very informative I've made an account so that I can properly join in on the fun. Attached is a picture of her in all her glory, though partially disassembled. 7k on the clock and what appears to be original tires.
    Last edited by Str8Legs; 11-09-2021, 05:11 PM.
Working...
X