Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• normalthom
    replied
    You got that right cajun. I just bought it last spring.

Leave a comment:

• cajun31
    replied
    Originally posted by normalthom View Post
    Strange, I have a 1981 MNS and my speedometer goes to 160.
    which means someone switched it out before you acquired the bike. You're not the original owner are you?

Leave a comment:

• normalthom
    replied
    Strange, I have a 1981 MNS and my speedometer goes to 160.

Leave a comment:

• Str8Legs
    replied
    Originally posted by Loch View Post

I have a couple of extra 160mph speedometers if your interested?
    The stock speedo is good enough for me, I'm not out there doing any crazy speeds on it, I only go 85

Leave a comment:

• Loch
    replied
    Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
    Yeah, the 85mph speedo on a bike that will cruize at 110mph is a joke! You can get an earlier speedo from any late '70's Yamaha, and actually know how fast you are going. But then, there have been a few posts about only getting a ticket for 85, because that's all the speedo goes to!
    I have a couple of extra 160mph speedometers if your interested?

Leave a comment:

• DiverRay
    replied
    Yeah, the 85mph speedo on a bike that will cruize at 110mph is a joke! You can get an earlier speedo from any late '70's Yamaha, and actually know how fast you are going. But then, there have been a few posts about only getting a ticket for 85, because that's all the speedo goes to!

Leave a comment:

• bikerphil
    replied
    Congratulations on getting it running, sounds great!

Leave a comment:

• Ranger_xs1100
    replied
    Excellent!!

Leave a comment:

• Str8Legs
    replied
    Biiiiiiig update: https://youtu.be/LB0Z27-No6w

Got new tires on it, figured out the rest of the brakes, synced and tuned the carbs (still needs more work though), and she runs and rides! It'll happily bury the speedo and keep on pulling, one heck of a bike

Leave a comment:

• normalthom
    replied
    Looking good. Looks surprisingly just like mine!! Whoda thought?

Leave a comment:

• bikerphil
    replied
    The 850 final drive mod would make it better for highway riding. The taller gear ratio will lower the RPM's by about 900.

Leave a comment:

• Str8Legs
    replied
    Originally posted by cajun31 View Post

Now that you really have the inspiration you can really get her looking like you want her to. From the video I think I saw that the choke lever was not pulled out at all and you were idling at 1500 or a bit above and the bike was misfiring slightly. You also are running the carbs with no airbox or pods which will impact the final tuning. Have you decided to stay with the original airbox? If so when you do the final tuning a synching, make sure you have all that on.
    Yes, the bike was mostly warm and was running well enough off choke that I took it off by then. I do believe my mixture screws are currently rich and I hadn't had a chance to adjust the idle screw yet, but more importantly I realized later that I'm an idiot and didn't plug the vacuum port that the octy would've been on . Having ran it a few more times, and ridden it once to move between garages, I've got the idle sitting nicely around 1000-1100. The original airbox is back on for now though I'm having a good think about it only because taking the carbs on and off without it is a one step process, but on the other hand my brain is telling me once they're finally set right I won't be fiddling with them very frequently.

The biggest hurdle for me is over now, my foremost concern was does the dang thing run and ride as is and it does! So at this point I'm comfortable putting some good money into it. I can say that cosmetically and mechanically I'd like to keep everything as stock as possible, I like the way the bike looks and Yamaha did a good enough job putting it together in a way where everything works. I'll be keeping all of the dents, dings, and scrapes but I'll be making sure any exposed metal is taken care of. I'm still not 100% sold on the swept back bars but I will be keeping them as all of the controls are already on them and they work so I'm not going to mess with it. My current long term vision for the bike is to turn it into a touring machine, I have a need for interstate travel and with something like a windjammer and some hard bags I think this bike would do great for munching miles.

Leave a comment:

• cajun31
    replied
    Originally posted by Str8Legs View Post
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/vi1fosG5ctDcof4x5

Here's a video of it running, had the occasional miss in cylinder 2 until it warmed up but ran without a hitch after that

Edit for more information: The carbs have not been on a vacuum gauge yet, and they haven't been colortuned for afr yet either. The bit of smoke you can see is various bits of oil that I've gotten all over it while working on it, this is its first time up to temperature
    Now that you really have the inspiration you can really get her looking like you want her to. From the video I think I saw that the choke lever was not pulled out at all and you were idling at 1500 or a bit above and the bike was misfiring slightly. You also are running the carbs with no airbox or pods which will impact the final tuning. Have you decided to stay with the original airbox? If so when you do the final tuning a synching, make sure you have all that on.

Leave a comment:

• Ranger_xs1100
    replied
    Congratulations Str8Legs... Sounds great !

Leave a comment:

• Str8Legs
    replied
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/vi1fosG5ctDcof4x5

Here's a video of it running, had the occasional miss in cylinder 2 until it warmed up but ran without a hitch after that

Edit for more information: The carbs have not been on a vacuum gauge yet, and they haven't been colortuned for afr yet either. The bit of smoke you can see is various bits of oil that I've gotten all over it while working on it, this is its first time up to temperature
    Last edited by Str8Legs; 12-14-2021, 05:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X