No announcement yet.

Headlight help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bikerphil Hi Phil. Just got some time to test out the wires. Am i supposed to be getting voltage from the wire harness? My instincts tell me i should be getting some voltage from the 4 pins from the harness. But i am not.

Comment

No, you don't need to test for voltage in the bike's harness, the blu/wht needs to receive a ground from your new switch starter button to crank the starter and the 2 red/wht need to be bridged via your new kill switch to obtain ignition from the TCI, that's it.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

careful with the PO on the switch. The Previous owner might show up !
        79 1100 SF Carmine Red stock
        85 Honda v65 Magna
        70 Yamaha HS1 90cc twin Californian Orange
        02 Road King (retirement gift)
        First bike-s 2-1967 Yamaha YM2C Big Bear Scramblers

Comment

vedgar HAHA lets hope not. He didnt put a lot of love into the bike.

bikerphil Hi phil! I just figured out the wiring and got the starter to crank w/o blowing fuses. But it only works when I have the blue connector plugged in to a power source from a random wire in the headlight. Im guessing i need to plug the blue wire into a power source. do you know which wire from the 4 pin harness can supply the most power to supply the starter motor? thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Snareguy View Post
            vedgar HAHA lets hope not. He didnt put a lot of love into the bike.

bikerphil Hi phil! I just figured out the wiring and got the starter to crank w/o blowing fuses. But it only works when I have the blue connector plugged in to a power source from a random wire in the headlight. Im guessing i need to plug the blue wire into a power source. do you know which wire from the 4 pin harness can supply the most power to supply the starter motor? thank you!
            Not really following what you did, but if it works that way, try either the blue wire or the brown wire in the HL bucket, they should both power on with the key. I am betting the kill switch doesn't work with it wired up this way. The starter button won't work if the connection to the TCI via the kill switch loop is open. You may be bypassing the kill switch by adding that blue wire to a power source.
            Last edited by bikerphil; 02-05-2022, 08:08 AM.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

Comment

bikerphil youre right. Kill switch works but backwards. Run mean no loop. Off = starter and button work. I found some information from a different source. Do you mind translating it if you can?

So, I bought a set (Right and Left) EMGO Universal Handlebar Switches from the great folks at Cognito Moto for a project. I was not able to find any kind of wiring diagram for them. So, out of frustration I sat down and figured it out on my own and figured I'd share my findings. Hopefully, it will be useful to someone.

Here are the switches I'm referring to:
              http://cognitomoto.com/collections/e...ar-switch-left
              http://cognitomoto.com/collections/e...r-switch-right

RIGHT SWITCH

Red Wire - Energized By Keyed Ignition Switch. Controls power switch (Off, PO, ON).
              Blue Wire w/bullet connector - Energized by Keyed Ignition Switch. Pig tailed to Red Wire. Connects to Blue Wire w/socket connector supplies power for starter.
              Blue Wire w/socket connector - Energized by Blue Wire w/bullet connector supplies power for starter.
              Black Wire - Energizes by Starter Button via the Blue Wire w/socket connector. Connects to starter relay.
              Tan Wire - Energized by the Off, PO, On switch. Controls the Off, Run, Off switch. Energizes the Yellow/Red Wire.
              Yellow/Red Wire - Energized by the Off, Run, Off, Run switch.

Comment

Well. like I said before, our bikes use a ground to activate the starter solenoid, there is no positive current going there like the switch was designed to do. Some wires are not needed and no positive current needs to feed the switch for operation on our bikes other than the current looping to and from the TCI. I could probably figure it out with switch in hand, very difficult this way.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

Comment

bikerphil Cognito moto sent me a second set of the controls since the first one had a faulty push button. I don’t think this control sends a negative anywhere but i somehow got it to work.

https://youtu.be/kLOZ9sLJ9hg

Any tips on how to make this work even better? Haha. Thanks!

Comment

Well, you could make the starter button supply ground to the solenoid by taking one of it's wires and attach it to the switch chassis or the metal handlebar and the other one to the blu wht wire in the bike harness. You would have to take the switch apart and see which wires these actually are. Unhook all the other wires going to the switch from the bike first. Also jump together the two red wht wires in the bike harness, bypassing the kill switch.
                    Probably the only way to make the switch work properly is to rewire it internally.
                    Last edited by bikerphil; 02-17-2022, 07:27 PM.
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

Comment

bikerphil hi Phil! Know any good sources for real carburetor fuel mixture screws? I think the ones i ordered were made by a cheap company and they got stuck in the holes again. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Snareguy View Post
                        bikerphil hi Phil! Know any good sources for real carburetor fuel mixture screws? I think the ones i ordered were made by a cheap company and they got stuck in the holes again. Thanks!
                        Sure, there is genuine OEM but they ain't cheap...
                        https://www.partshark.com/oemparts/p...0/-screw-pilot
                        The cheap ones should work, maybe they just can't be tightened down much. Maybe the threads were causing some binding giving poor feel to know when they were "lightly seated".
                        I would suggest for next time to finger tighten without the spring to lightly seat, then count the turns out so it is known when they actually seat with the spring installed.
                        Last edited by bikerphil; 03-09-2022, 02:03 PM.
                        2H7 (79)
                        3H3

Comment

bikerphil Youre right. The cheap set had the string that made the feel abnormal when seating. Ill be more delicate on the next set. This will be my second rebuild kit.

Comment

bikerphil any idea if my starter is bad? it cranks but im not sure either my battery is too weak or the motor is getting juice from the wrong low volt wire. I can get it to start 1 out of every 30 tries a mix of starter button or manual kickstart. Will idle but die once i give throttle.

Comment

A weak battery will cause all sorts of problems. Give the battery a good charge. Check all ground connections making sure they are clean and tight. As for the engine dying when applying throttle, probably not getting enough fuel. Will it take throttle with the enricher (choke) on? You did remove the broken mixture screw tips from the carb bodies? Is there enough fuel in the tank? Try putting the fuel selector on reserve.
                              2H7 (79)
                              3H3

Comment

bikerphil Give it full juice before every attempt. Grounds are fine as far as i know. Have not tried to throttle while on choke since it idles 3-4k on choke for some reason. Removed the broken tips and i can see the light at the end of the tunnel with a flash light. tank is off for fresh paint and single outlet petcocks. Currently using a makeshift aux tank. I will try to run it on choke and add throttle good idea. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                                X