No announcement yet.

1980 LG restoration after five years in storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great info Cajun, I'll file this away for future reference. Thanks!
    Bob's Bikes:
    79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
    https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
    https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
    "
    Project XS11"
    "Rucksack Grunt"
    "Small Unit Leadership"
    "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
    For Sale Here.

Comment

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post
      Patrick ,You should look up a vendor Brake Crafters.
      Thanks for the tip. I don't need brake parts now but I might when I do my winter maintenance.
      79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
      79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Originally posted by mixelpix View Post

Wow, original LG - that's amazing!

Thanks for the suggestions.

My budget's at the "get it riding again" level with no rush to ride until the Summer. Definitely wanna keep it stock pretty and healthy, so viability and safety stuff first. It has under 50k, but was not stored very well.

It was burning a lot of oil after boring it up, so I figure compression and engine health will be my next targets. Possibly a new set of rings. With the starter solenoid blowing out, I also imagine a lot of tear down to see how fatigued the wiring is.

Really appreciate the help!
        Patrick, I see you stated burning oil after bore it up. When you say bore up ... what specifically was done? Meaning what kit was used if any? The reason I ask ... and you may already be aware of it... is there are oversize rings and then there are big bore kits. Which did you do?
        2 - 80 LGs bought one new
        81 LH
        02 FXSTB Nighttrain
        22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
        Jim

Comment

cajun31 if I recall it was a Wiseco... can check the invoice... Yep, "WI-PK-WI-K 1179, Wiseco Piston Kit YAM XS1100 Kit w/Gasket"
          Last edited by mixelpix; 12-10-2020, 08:37 PM.
          Your Mileage May Vary

Comment

Originally posted by mixelpix View Post
            cajun31 if I recall it was a Wiseco... can check the invoice... Yep, "WI-PK-WI-K 1179, Wiseco Piston Kit YAM XS1100 Kit w/Gasket"
            Which means you still have enough left to go up to the 1196 kit. There is a cheap alternative to the Wiseco kit on Ebay by Cruzin Image. Some on here have used that kit. Maybe they can chime in. I do know the vendor is based in Japan. Can't speak on if it Japanese or Chinese made though. Might be a solution to your oil burning problem. Kit is fairly inexpensive. It and machine shop for about the same money might put in in the affordable range. Could get you heads done at the same time. 80-81 YAMAHA XS1100 1196cc BIGBORE PISTONS KIT 74.5mm PISTON 10-XS1100BB | eBay
            2 - 80 LGs bought one new
            81 LH
            02 FXSTB Nighttrain
            22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
            Jim

Comment

mixelpix Since you noticed the oil consumption started after big bore. If the oiler on the piston is overlapped and not butted your engine will smoke and consume oil. May want to just check the pistons for proper ring assembly before buying new parts.

http://www.wiseco.com/PDFs/Manuals/RingEndGap.pdf

---Bax
              80 SG, --- Slightly modified with EFI.....

Comment

Working...
              X