No announcement yet.

Counter Steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I dare resurrect this thread? Took a bit of flack over it the first time . . .

Sigh. I find that I must.

Witnessed another counter-steering (lack of) accident last night.

I was headed east on Campbell from Arapaho when I got passed by a zip-splat. I was probably going 50mph, and he passed me taking half my lane (glad I do not wobble) going at least 75mph.

Now, I ride a Valkyrie, and rode an XS before that. I have lost track of how many hundreds of thousands of miles I have ridden. Suffice it to say that I lost any desire to prove anything long ago, and though I do ride aggressively, I rarely rise to this type of bait. The only inclination I had to keep up with him was the sudden desire to stomp his smart @$$ into the ground for splitting my lane unannounced (you are free to kill yourself, please do not take non-combatants with you).

I know what I am capable of, so basically shook my head and sighed.

This route is a long downhill, then around a sweeping left turn . . . over a bridge, sweep right, and up a hill to a stop light..

REAL speed is not advisable due to some cross-streets and the stop-light, but any competent MC rider should be able to make this corner well in XS of 100MPH.

He entered the sweeping left in the far left of the lane, and I could see him leaning off the bike for all he was worth. He still rapidly and inevitably moved toward the right in the corner. He never managed to pull the bike over very far . . . he should have made this corner easily.

Oh crap! Not another one. Please . . . not another one . . .

I have seen a lot, but you never get used to this (at least, I hope I never am able to get used to this . . .). With crystal clarity and in slow motion I charted his course. The guard rail was directly in his path.

I found myself screaming "STEER GODDAMMIT . . . STEER!" and grabbed a handful of throttle to get to him faster . . . as if there was actually anything I could do . . .

Of course, he could not hear me, and it would not have helped if he could . . . he did not know how to steer . . . and part of the freedom of riding is that you are beyond reach . . . and help . . . while you are actually riding.

As he approached the curb you could see him twisting his body away from the right . . . kind of shying away from the rail . . . as if that could help . . . it still was not too late . . .

And then it was.

Too late.

A couple feet from the curb he actually put his right foot down and tried to push away from the curb . . . at 70mph or so . . .

That kind of flipped him horizontal on the bike.

Then panic set in . . . and maybe that saved his life . . . see, he grabbed a handful of front brake at the same moment the bike impacted the curb . . . the bike hit the guardrail, and flipped over forward, chucking him OVER the railing. He cleared it by about 4 feet! The bike nestled into the rail hard and slid along it for about 50 feet, coming apart is it slid. The red plastic that says Kawasaki is the only remains readily identifiable.

Our lucky hero landed hard on his back in the grass on the other side of the rail, feet sliding first, and somehow promptly sat upright, sliding on his butt. He then slid into the alley and came to a stop against a fence in the grass on the other side of the alley. The then collapsed back onto his back with an obviously unconcious "flop". His helmet hit the concrete alley with a resounding "thunk".

I had already slid "The Dragon" to a stop, and was calling for help on the cell phone. 300-pound biker dudes are not supposed to have to wipe tears from their eyes.

Once I was sure they had the location and situation, I stuffed the phone in a pocket (still on) (they try to keep you on the line forever for some reason) and ran for the downed rider.

Note that you do not normally move victims unless they are in danger where they are. I am first-aid trained and have had some experience working in a trauma center, and normally would not have moved him.

Two things changed my mind, and confronted me with a delimma I that had not occurred to me before regarding the move/no-move decision.

1) He was coming around and was beginning to move his head and limbs.
    2) And the delimma . . . He was laying partially in a fire ant mound, and they were beginning to swarm all over him!

I dragged him out of it and onto the concrete, and began frantically brushing the ants off him, concentrating on getting them away from his head. Those of you that have not encountered these things, beware. They are a serious threat. They attack by the millions. They have been known to kill livestock, and people too, particularly if they are prone to reactions to insect bites. They will go for anything, but eyes and other soft tissues are favorite targets.

He has road rash on both butt cheeks, though not as bad as you would think . . . he had a wallet in one back pocket and a checkbook in the other. A little more rash on his back, and right arm, but nothing serious. Torn jeans, shirt, underwear. Cracked helmet.

His hands are pretty scraped up, despite his gloves. And it took him about ten minutes to get his air back.

Me and him both have about the same number of ant bites.

He declined treatment when the ambulance showed up, and used my phone (now blessedly free of a whiny voice saying "Please sir, stay on the line . . .") to call for a ride. I asked him if he was going to learn to steer now, and suggested that this painful lesson was unnecessary, and that an MSF course would be highly advisable.

His response was not polite . . . initially.

Right before his ride picked him up, while we were watching the wrecker driver chuck the three big pieces and numerous smaller parts of his bike onto the flatbed, he asked me if I knew what he had done wrong. A contructive conversation followed.

Maybe he learned a lesson after all.

And my dreams won't be peaceful again for a few days . .
    CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
    Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

So That's what it is!

When I first read the post on countersteering, I thought "Man, that is a skill I need to learn!" So the next time I went for a ride, I got on a stretch of highway that was basically deserted. Followed the instructions in the post & thought, "Dang! I've been doing this all along & just didn't realize it". I had never heard the term "counter-steering" before this post, but it was the way I was taught to ride. TG for good teachers. And TG for people who post these excellent tips in these forums.
      I'm the Person my Parents Warned me about.

Comment

keep on keepin' on, Danny.

I was in early agreement, and have been giving it more thought.

Basically, what turns a bike is to lean it. The easiest way to lean it is to countersteer. You can lean your body, push on the tank with your knees, whatever, just get the bike to lean. But in the end, the easiest way is to push on the bar on the side of the direction you want to go.

When your sphincter is puckered from target fixation while you are going off the shoulder or over the dividing line, THINK COUNTERSTEER, practice it, get used to it. A lot of people do it unconsciously, but they do it. Practice changing your line while in a corner, pretend there's an obstacle right in your chosen line.

Try different ways of pushing the bar - pull out on it, push down on it, push forward on it - which is easiest? Pushing forward, by a long shot.

Try using your knees on the tank, try moving your butt off center of the saddle, compare how much effect that has to pushing on the bar.

In an extreme case, you might need all 3, slide your butt, use your outside knee, and push on the bars, but if you're heading for trouble, you'll be lucky to have time to just push on the bar. Good thing that's the most effective!

If you skootch your butt off the left, press up and in on the tank with your right knee, you WILL be pushing out on the left bar too - the unconscious countersteering guys will tell you they are body steering, and they are, but only a fraction of that body action is getting the desired result, the main component is the push on the bar.

A related concept is target fixation - you will go where you are looking. (this brings in the unconscious nature of countersteering) When you are heading over the centerline, it may take an act of will to focus on where you want to go.

Watch the racers on speedvision, watch what their heads are doing in the corners - their kneepuck might be a hair above the pavement, their butt completely off the saddle, but their head is upright and looking thru the corner to the exit.

You see more than your share, Danny. The ones you have described were well within the realm of countersteering alone preventing the bad outcome. People that ride at the edge already know more than one way to lean the bike, and are usually not likely to have the kind of problems you describe.

But for folks who are pushing their limits, or finding themselves suddenly understeering in a corner (even tho the bike will do it easily) the word is out: practice countersteering, it might save your hide, or your life.

Or at least Danny a cell phone bill and some ant bites!

So Danny, how about some 'misuse of brakes in a corner' stories?
        Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

Countersteering works!

I rediscovered the art of countersteering through necessity.I'd just purchased my new pride and joy (79 Special/Sport) and had banished my old mule (83 Gpz 750) to my friends care.
          I took the XS up to one of my favourite stretches of road (MT. Glorious, Brisbane Hinterland) to exploit the main reason for buying this particular type of bike. Its grunt, plain and simple. The GPZ was very fast but you had to ring its neck to get anywhere which, I found not the recipe for a quiet cruise, two up, through the mountains. The XS has vast quantities of torque which makes for a very lazy mode of riding, and it was this strength that I was going to use to the utmost on its first big day out.
          To put it mildly, I scared myself quite badly a few times and we parked at the Mountaintop Coffee Shop to reflect on what had nearly happened. I'd been sailing along at a rate which was comparable to the old GPZ and encountered a sweeper and went to turn into it and the bike didn't want to know about it at all. Just the extra mass was enough to stop it turning in the way the old bike did and I settled for the 'straighten up and hit the picks and pick a path through the trees option.' I thought I'd made a terrible mistake buying the bike if it was going to behave like this.
          I had a couple more less scary moments on the way to the coffee shop so while I sipped on the hot brew, I tried to remember how my old 78E handled but no alarm bells were ringing, so we headed off home more sedately with no further incidents.
          I thought about it that night and did my maths too.Lessee, I weigh 67kg, GPZ weighed about 210kg ready to roll, XS tipping the scales at 275kg plus! I was outnumbered! Ok, how to get around that minor problem? Learn to ride all over again.
          It's taken a while to get used to countersteering but it works now. A few people in my local club (ULYSSES)get seriously concerned when this 23 year old dinosaur leaves them and their new cruisers/nakedbikes behind on the twisty bits. It's quite a buzz for me to do this to them too! As I'm the Ride Co-ordinator for the Branch, most rides end up negotiating some form of mountainous terrain due to cunning planning.
          I hope to keep confounding them for a long time too as I've got no questions as to the durability of the bike. She'll do me for years!
          Cheers
          Eveready Errol
          Ride Co-ordinator
          Redcliffe ULYSSES
          79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
          Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
          *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
          *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

Re: Countersteering works!

Originally posted by Eveready1100
            I rediscovered the art of countersteering through necessity.<SNIPPED>
            It's taken a while to get used to countersteering but it works now. A few people in my local club (ULYSSES)get seriously concerned when this 23 year old dinosaur leaves them and their new cruisers/nakedbikes behind on the twisty bits. It's quite a buzz for me to do this to them too! As I'm the Ride Co-ordinator for the Branch, most rides end up negotiating some form of mountainous terrain due to cunning planning.
            I hope to keep confounding them for a long time too as I've got no questions as to the durability of the bike. She'll do me for years!
            Cheers
            Eveready Errol
            Ride Co-ordinator
            Redcliffe ULYSSES
            Hey there Eveready,
            Glad to hear you relearned this necessary skill before you ended up in a wall or over a cliff!! But, instead of confounding your fellow bikers, how about letting them in on the secret. They might "NEED" to know, and I'd hate to see a post here about you loosing one of your riding buddies to a steering mishap that might have been avoided if they had known about this technique!? I'm sure you'll still be able to keep ahead of them with the brute force of your XS!
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Re: Re: Countersteering works!

Originally posted by TopCatGr58

Hey there Eveready,
              Glad to hear you relearned this necessary skill before you ended up in a wall or over a cliff!! But, instead of confounding your fellow bikers, how about letting them in on the secret. They might "NEED" to know, and I'd hate to see a post here about you loosing one of your riding buddies to a steering mishap that might have been avoided if they had known about this technique!? I'm sure you'll still be able to keep ahead of them with the brute force of your XS!
              Gidday!
              I've tried explaining the way to steer the bike to all of them. They just seem to be stuck in their ways and will not try anything new. Last run, a chap on a GSX1400 got left in the twisties with no answer to the mighty XS. Did I feel good about that? Hell Yes! They just seem reluctant to lean the things over regardless of the fact that they've got monster grippy radial tyres and a lot less weight to cope with. Dunno what else I can do to assist them. One guy reckons I'm a bit nuts and am going to chuck it away anytime but I go out each day with the fullest intention of returning with bike and skin intact, and all the points still on my licence so speeding is not an issue here. I'm not going to risk damaging the old girl if I can possibly help it as I waited a long time to find the right one.
              79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
              Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
              *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
              *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

more on the topic:
                http://www.superbikeschool.com/us/ma..._machine.shtml
                Rocky
                00 Cagiva Gran Canyon
                80 XS11 Special -sold
                77 HD Sportster
                75 Norton Commando

Comment

I have to admit I hadn't heard all of the technical details of steering a motorcycle either. I've been experimenting earlier and have decided to practice the technique so I can use it when I need to. Everyone should review this material, even if they know the details already. I will try to make it instinct so the opposite does not happen!

Thanks guys.

Ben

p.s., and things *do* happen. Once tonight while riding, some *#@!$! hole on his cell phone cuts out in front of me at an intersection while I was 1/4 of the way through it. While approaching a 4-way stop an hour later, a !@$#$ in an old pickup truck blew through the intersection, running the stopsign - even with 3 other drivers at each stop watching. What the h#ll is wrong with cagers?
                  1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
                  1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
                  1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
                  1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
                  1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
                  1982 XS650
                  1980 XS1100g
                  1979 XS1100sf
                  1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

I've just completed the motorcycle training course up here in Canada & you'll be pleased to know Countersteering is an entire session (3hours) worth of lesson up here, & it's on the test. Although we barely have the room to go quick enough to use it properly.

Comment

After following Gary (sixtysix) on his Bandit through 150 miles of extreme twisties, I got very comfortable pushing my XS around in the corners (and I mean pushing). I agree with Mike, that moving the body in conjunction with counter steering provides outstanding cornering results.

My XS is setup with clip-ons, so my riding position is "lean forward". This allows me to move my head and chest over the grip that I am pushing on to steer. I use my leg to push against the tank to move my body in the same direction. I am able to make quick transitions from side to side, to meet the next corner.

As important as counter steer, is keeping your eyes on your desired line. Look where you what do be. If you find yourself in a jam, don't focus on where you don't want to be, pick your line and steer to it. The bike will go there.
                      DZ
                      Vyger, 'F'
                      "The Special", 'SF'
                      '08 FJR1300

Comment

same here

I passed the test 2 days ago and countersteering is in the test here in Quebec also. During the mandatory 30 hour course, the teacher insists on the countersteering and the "you go where you look" every time he can.

To try counter-steering in a parking lot, find an open space, draw an imaginary circle about 15 to 20 feet in diameter and proceed to run around it as fast as you can. You should be able to get up to 2nd gear, just off the idle. After you're comfortably leaned in and speed adjusted, check your handle bar angle and witness the counterseer.

Danny: the guy did not hit the guard rail only because he did not know how to countersteer, he hit it because he was looking directly at it. If he had instead looked in the lane he was supposed to go, he most probably would had made it.

In the closed circuit lesson, in the slalom, if you look AT the cone, you will go OVER the cone. When you see an obstacle, turn your head, look where you want to go, and you will make it. Same thing in a curve, look as far in the bend as you can.

And loke everybody here said: practice, and practice often. The more you play withe the bike the more you will know it and how it reacts when you encounter an unexpected situation.

-Justin

Comment

Conter Steering

Been practicing it a lot....It really works! I want this to become a natural reaction in the event I ever need it.

Thanks for sharing and possibly saving lives!

Comment

wow thanks for the tip. I was a little doubtful after reading the thread, but tried it and loved it. I can't believe that I have never heard of it in my vast 2 years of riding experience! (ha, ha)

Please send more tips as I am getting to be a much better rider now, but still need the help of other more experienced riders to make me better!

Thanks,

Travis
                            Travis Miller
                            1978 E

Comment

nothing like reviving a 3 year old thread! Came across this and thought it would be good to push it back to the top for new members to see. It really is some of the best riding advice. Ride and LIVE!!
                              1981 XS 1100 SH

Comment

Always a good idea!

Hey MP,

Good idea, thanks for the bump. There is a TECH TIP in the RIDING TIPS : Countersteering tech tip and it has several other links to offsite information!

T.C.
                                T. C. Gresham
                                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                                History shows again and again,
                                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                                X