Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re: Gun Thread! 1911 style .45ACP

Originally posted by Whhpssh

I picked up the Springfield 1911-A1 last summer. It ran me around $800 new and I LOVE it.
    Thanks for the info...on topic and everything
    Gary Granger
    Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Re: how short?

Originally posted by fredintoon
      Like a Winchester Defender? Still a bit bulky for under the pillow?
      How short can a shotgun be in the US anyway and still be legal?
      I seem to remember reading that to be legal a pistol must have a rifled barrel so that a sawn-off shotgun is a prohibited weapon but if you gouge some grooves down it's barrels it's a mere pistol & OK?
      Fred Hill, S'toon.
      18" is the minumum barrel length there is also minimum length overall of 26" rifles also have minimums of 15" barrel and 26" I believe if you get less than eighteen it must not use a shell that has more than 1 projectile so a shotgun is always a shotgun wvwn is the barrel is rifled.
      Russ Neal
      Milton, NH
      04 GL1800 ABS
      04 Kawasaki Concours(Sold)
      99 Royal Star Venture(Sold)
      80 XS1000 Special(Sold)
      83 XJ750 Midnight Maxim(Sold)
      80 XS1100G(Sold)
      81 XS 650 Special(Sold)

Comment

sawnoff legality

OK then, saw off an over/under to 10" barrel length, gouge some crude rifling into the bores, carve the butt into a pistol grip and fire slugs. I'd say limit it to a 20 Ga unless you have wrists of iron.
        Fred Hill, S'toon.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Re: sawnoff legality

Originally posted by fredintoon
          OK then, saw off an over/under to 10" barrel length, gouge some crude rifling into the bores, carve the butt into a pistol grip and fire slugs. I'd say limit it to a 20 Ga unless you have wrists of iron.
          Fred Hill, S'toon.
          Not legal Thompson Center at one tome manufactured a 410 barrel for the Contender they had to stop making it because it didn't meet the minimum length req for a shotgun.
          Russ Neal
          Milton, NH
          04 GL1800 ABS
          04 Kawasaki Concours(Sold)
          99 Royal Star Venture(Sold)
          80 XS1000 Special(Sold)
          83 XJ750 Midnight Maxim(Sold)
          80 XS1100G(Sold)
          81 XS 650 Special(Sold)

Comment

OK if rifled?

Hi Russ,
            we are back to a previous post.
            T-C's .410 barrel was not allowed because it was smooth bored. That's why I pistol qualified my proposed "whippet" by having the 20 ga barrels rifled.
            Just tryin' for a "rule-cheater" here.
            Fred Hill, S'toon.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I picked up the Springfield 1911-A1 last summer. It ran me around $800 new and I LOVE it.
              Gotta agree with Whhpssh... I've had a Springfield Armory 1911-A1 for 4 years now, and I love it! I've put over 5000 rounds thru it, without a single problem!

You can't beat it for the money! And, it's made right here in Illinois!

Bill
              Bill
              XJ1100

Comment

new weapon

gotta keep this thread alive. i picked up a brand new springfield xd-9 3" this afternoon. what a right on ccw. gonna put a couple hundred rounds through tomorrow. anyone carry the xd series. i've read nothing but good reviews so far.

Comment

I bought the last Springfield Armory 1911a1 available in Portland after they announced bankruptcy. Who knew they're reorganize and pull through. More than 12 years later and I’ve never regretted the purchase.

For a 9mm, I have an Argintine Browning HP clone and I like it too...

Tony
                  Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

I want to spend about $800. I want to use the gun mostly for target shooting, so accuaracy and reliabily are most important to me. Won't be carrying it. Here is what I have found locally:

I found a used Para Ord Hi-Cap (10 rounds can get 13 round mags) P14.45 Limited that looks like brand new, is all blued no visable wear at all, clean inside and out. $799.99 I understand the limited is thier higher end target pistol. This has adjustable sight as standard. Drawbacks, the gun is used and has no warrantee, I am not familiar enough with Para to say the warrantee does not matter.

New Kimber 1911 Stainless II

This gun was the heaviest I looked at, I know the Kimber is a quality piece. Only draw back is non-adjustable regular sights. Rubberized grips. $749.00

New Para Ord 1911 SSP

This Super Sport Pistol is our full-size 1911 Single-Action, Single Stack pistol with our patented Power Extractorâ„¢ for ultimate reliability. This 1911 has the elegant Regal finish and is loaded with extras such as match-grade ramped barrel, competition trigger and hammer, Novak low mount three-dot fixed sights and Cocobolo stocks.

I actually thought this was the best looking gun, I like the black with stainless accents and wood grips. $629.99

Last one was the Springfield Armory Service Model 5" Lightweight, Bi-Tone PX9104L

Lightest gun, almost felt cheap, I do like the look of it, and it has a lifetime warrantee. $749.99

Ok I am looking for advice on these specific guns or other in this price range. This is my first 1911 type, I have (or had) several Rugers, P85 9mm, P94 40SW, GP101 357mag, 44 mag Super Redhawk w/scope for deer hunting and a cute little 25 ACP Taurus. Thanks to all the guys who helped so far!!
                    Gary Granger

Comment

Gary,

The Kimber is definitely top of the line. I almost went for it when I was in the market. Instead, I went with the Springfield Armory Full-Size Stainless 1911-A1, and have never regretted it! The one you looked at may be lighter, but mine is just as heavy as the Kimber's I compared it to, and the machining is perfect.

My advice, save your money and buy the Springfield, you can always spend it on ammo (and you will)!

Bill
                      Bill
                      XJ1100

Comment

Well the Kimber Stainless II and the Springfield Arms Lightweight, Bi-Tone PX9104L are the same price at $749.00. The SA comes with night sights, and to me looks better than the Kimber. Both Kimber and SA have good warrantees. Kimber made right here in NY, the SA is made in Brazil. Tough choice.
                        Gary Granger

Comment

Gary,

Is it Springfield Arms or Springfield Armory? I think (unless they changed in the last few years) that Springfield Armory guns are made here in Illinois, just up the road from me in Geneseo. That was one of the reasons why I bought the Springfield Armory. And yes, Springfield Armory does have a lifetime, no questions asked warranty. I called them and questioned them about this, asking "So, if in 10 years, my extractor fails, you'll fix it free of charge?" The answer was that they would either fix it or replace the gun.

Bill

P.S. The Kimber is only $749? That's a darn good price for a Kimber. I might have been swayed if I had found one that cheap!
                          Bill
                          XJ1100

Comment

Spingfield Armory....got the bomb on the barrel slide and everthing, flip it over and it say made in Brazil. Yep that Kimber is $749.00 they make some lots more expensive though.
                            Gary Granger

Comment

Gary,

I got mine out and looked it over... D'uh... you're right, there on the underside of the receiver, it's stamped "FI BRAZIL"....

Open mouth, insert foot...

Well, I still stand by the quality... I wish it had been made here in America though!

Now I may have to go find me a Kimber for $749! lol

Bill
                              Bill
                              XJ1100

Comment

Springfield Armory had Brazilian forgings and the machine work was done in Il. After they went broke fighting a law suite, they reorganized under the name Springfield inc and after that the entire 1911 was made in Brazil (don't know about their other guns.) Both are a good gun and worthy of the price of the ticket.

Para Ord is more for combat competition than bullseye shooting but you didn't say what type of target shooting you were into. Any on that list are worth the asking price. The Kimber is probably the most accurate out of the box and would be best for bullseye.

A big part of accuracy is tuning the ammo to the gun. If you don't handload, think about starting.

Geezer
                                Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
                                X