No announcement yet.

Gun Thread! 1911 style .45ACP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe the next XS11 rally should have a range day... I didn't realize there were so many gun folk in the group.

Geezer
    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Got a few guys riding around with guns... one was stopped one day with his AK-47 across his shoulder... LOL... I bet it was fun explaining to the cops it was a BB gun replica.
      Another cop almost shot his head off with a gun that a guy a friend knows (...) had stuck in his saddlebag. The cop was too scared even to give him a ticket.
      Me.... I like my toys.... IMI DE .50AE, but the FA-MAS is waiting for some parts (nice ROF tho)...
      So much for toys... there are still two WWI carabines in an advanced state of decay waiting on the window shelf. One is all rust, the other one still has its marking visible. In cyrilic it says: Kraljevina SHS, something I forgot, Kragujevac. Too bad all the woodwork is gone. AFAIK they've been burnt after WWII and dumped in the woods.

LP
      If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
      (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

If we're expanding the discussion a bit, my favorite modern three weapons that I own or carry are:

Folding stock 30cal carbine my dad carried on one of his Nam tours.
        9mm Smith that I carry as a personal weapon.
        Wather PPK replica made in Eastern Europe for the Bond, James Bond feel when I don't need a bulky gun showing.
        Don
        99 Valkyrie Interstate named Drakker

81 XS1100 H Peppylebleu sold and gone to a good home

81 XS1100 Midnight Special Peppyledeux sold and gone to another great home

Comment

I'm into guns designed by John Browning. I'm just getting started but so far I have; a M1911a1, a 9mm High Power and a 1907 Stevens hump-back shotgun.

My next most favorite is my Smith % Wesson N-frame .357 Magnum.

Geezer

Comment

I use to prefer to carry my S&W 4506 (45ACP), but decided to check out a Glock. I must say, I am very impressed with the weapon. I went with the Model 29 (10mm). It is light, very compact and carries 10 rounds of 200gr hollow points. The flat slide makes a very nice sight surface.
            DZ
            Vyger, 'F'
            "The Special", 'SF'
            '08 FJR1300

Comment

Originally posted by Dennyz
              I use to prefer to carry my S&W 4506 (45ACP), but decided to check out a Glock. I must say, I am very impressed with the weapon. I went with the Model 29 (10mm). It is light, very compact and carries 10 rounds of 200gr hollow points. The flat slide makes a very nice sight surface.
              Not to mention the Bren 10mm is a kick ass round. I'm probably the only person that is lukewarm on Golcks. While most people either love'em or hate'em, I think it would be nice to have one but it's no where near next on my list.

I'd like to be able to carry my N-frame S&W but it's to big for that purpose.

Geezer

Comment

carry

got a compact taurus pt-111 9mm that goes everywhere on the ankle, and a smith 457 .45 to compliment. nothing like the feeling of a .45. I have an avid interest in an 1911 and kimber seems to be the kreeme of the crop. here in indy 750 will get the entry level kimber, but a springfield can be had new for 450ish. my problem being a lefty is you get shanked on anything with a dual side safety. except maybe with the ruger p series. if i were to choose a full size .45 to carry the novelty of the 1911 would definately give way to the p-90 ruger.

gunsmoke is winters equal to the sweet summer smell of exhaust

Comment

Try Zastava TT (M57). A better than original copy of a Tokarev. No safety, AFAIK nice penetration, but not much impact damage.
                  Comes in 7.62 and later ones 9mm.
                  Try geting a sport competition one. Longer barrel, looks a real badass. Besides, how many of you guys have commie guns?
                  I wouldn't mind a nice Dragunov (SVD) in my collection.
                  Yes, officer... I need a full-auto firing sniper for... target practice. I really really suck, you see...
                  If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
                  (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

kgb

i had the opportunity a few years ago to own a russian made makarov. i picked up up for next to nothing as the word of the time was they were cheap junk, especialy the chinese made. it was the little brother of the tokarov and one of the best shooting 9mms i ever fired. the only drawback was the shorter 9 x 18 shell it took. sometimes harder to find. recently when i was in the market for a small frame semi auto to carry concealed i tried to find another makarov but suprise suprise they have gotten scarce as a mouse and suddenly have a good rep.

Comment

GUNS!

Can't see why anybody would need to keep anything other than a hand gun in their household for protection.

Too much gun violence in the world.

The disease is spreading over here at an alarming rate with young kids being shot on our streets by drug gangs even with our very tight grip firearms.

This only used to happen in the States a few years back.

Would be interested to hear your views.
                      If you can't afford it....finance it!!

Comment

Actually a shotgun with a short deer slayer barrel loaded with buckshot makes a very suitable home defense weapon very lethal to whats in front of you and probably nothing on the other side of the wall. with a wide open choke pretty easy to hit what your shooting at in a excited state. As you guys are figuring out the bad guys will get guns to use if they want them They are criminals after all. Sometimes guns get miss used but so do cars booze hammers etc etc. Out lawing guns just puts their sale and distribution in the hands of the bad guys thats why your starting to see the problem over there. Drug dealers don't care who or what they sell something to. Almost all gun dealers do and wouldn't knowingly sell a firearm to someone that planned to use it for a crime.
                        Russ Neal
                        Milton, NH
                        04 GL1800 ABS
                        04 Kawasaki Concours(Sold)
                        99 Royal Star Venture(Sold)
                        80 XS1000 Special(Sold)
                        83 XJ750 Midnight Maxim(Sold)
                        80 XS1100G(Sold)
                        81 XS 650 Special(Sold)

Comment

how short?

Like a Winchester Defender? Still a bit bulky for under the pillow?
                          How short can a shotgun be in the US anyway and still be legal?
                          I seem to remember reading that to be legal a pistol must have a rifled barrel so that a sawn-off shotgun is a prohibited weapon but if you gouge some grooves down it's barrels it's a mere pistol & OK?
                          Fred Hill, S'toon.
                          Fred Hill, S'toon
                          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

18inches

i seem to recall here that a barrel must be 18in from breach to end of barrel. as far as riffled goes, a shot gun usually has a smooth bore (unless it's called a riffled slug barrel, most offten used for hunting, with slugs of coarse). And i know this is going to open a can of worms,GUNS DO NOT KILL.....PEOPLE KILL. I don't think that anyone on earth can tell me a gun sitting on a table just opened fire on a crowd of people? just remember GOD,GUNS & GUTS MADE AMERICA FREE ! Sorry for the yelling ,but i believe we should still have the right to keep and bear arms.
                            And Storm in the states you can get in a heap of trouble for bb guns that look real,XSpecialy if used in a crime,they are treated as the real thing. Just some food for thought.
                            Last edited by chevy45412001; 01-24-2005, 10:19 AM.
                            1982 XJ 1100
                            going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
                            now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Re: Gun Thread! 1911 style .45ACP

Originally posted by sixtysix
                              Looking to get a 1911 style .45ACP does anybody have any recommendations? Looking at Springfield Armory, Colt, Kimber and a couple of others. Want to stay in the $800 range (even if I have to go used) anything I need to know? Recommendations? Experiences? Gun would mostly just be a target gun. Most of my experience is with Rugers...Thanks!

I picked up the Springfield 1911-A1 last summer. It ran me around $800 new and I LOVE it.

Comment

What's in a name?

Hi Chevy,
                                GM steals other folks names. Funny that although they justified ripping off Ferrari's GTO by saying they built more of 'em they never justified using Berretta by saying their cars have killed more folks that those pistols ever did.
                                So yes, guns don't kill people, people kill people.
                                Mostly they use cars but we're talking on purpose, right?
                                Thing is, it takes years to learn accuracy with a bow and you must get real close with a club or a knife or be bigger, meaner and better trained than the other guy to be sure in unarmed combat but with a gun it's so easy to do. Point it and pull the trigger.
                                Fred Hill, S'toon.
                                Fred Hill, S'toon
                                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                                X