Gun Thread! 1911 style .45ACP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun Thread! 1911 style .45ACP

Looking to get a 1911 style .45ACP does anybody have any recommendations? Looking at Springfield Armory, Colt, Kimber and a couple of others. Want to stay in the $800 range (even if I have to go used) anything I need to know? Recommendations? Experiences? Gun would mostly just be a target gun. Most of my experience is with Rugers...Thanks!
    Gary Granger
    Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

I shoot a Colt gold cup. For target, you will probably get a used, and replace parts on it if they are worn. I realy like the gold cup, it is much tighter than the army model. I do have a copy of the "how to hop up a colt" book. It has a lot of ideas to improve the accuracy of the pistol.
    If you can do a four inch pattern at 25 yards, we need to get to a range
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I have two 45 ACP semi-autos. A S&W (not 1911) and a Kimber. The S&W is better for a personal carry weapon and the Kimber is better for target and competion shooting.

I have left the S&W stock, but continue to tinker with my Kimber. It is like my motorcycle, we don't talk about how much $$ I have into it.

I don't shoot near as much as I use to, but do enjoy taking the Kimber to the range and blowing off a bunch of rounds (load my own) every once in a while.

I am very happy with the quality and performance of my Kimber.
      DZ
      Vyger, 'F'
      "The Special", 'SF'
      '08 FJR1300

Comment

My favorite handgun! Good choice!

I have Colts that have been "tinkered" with, and also a pair of Norinco's.

The NorinCo's are very customizable as they are exact duplicates of the Colt and all the parts ar interchangable.

With a little tweaking I was very pleased with them . . . more "bang for the buck" if you'll pardon the pun. Uh . . . "bulletproof" they are.

Ugh.

I can't speak for the rest of the brands...no experience.

A good place for parts is here:
        http://www.wilsoncombat.com/
        CUAgain,
        Daniel Meyer
        Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
        Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

no but

i have a 1860 henry repeating rifle,in very good condition.
          1982 XJ 1100
          going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
          now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

I have a Springfield Armory M1911a1 and the only thing I had to do was give the feed ramp a slight polish to feed lead bullets.

Also the 8 round mag that comes with it will jam the top round from a full mag if it's not a FMJ or other round nose bullet. It took me a lot of work to figure this out but the fix was simple: only load 7 or use a different mag.

I've had it over 10 years and fed it thousands of reloads with no ill effects. I've added Hogue grips and some stainless steel parts to dress it up. It's also had a trigger job but all bot the most expensive ones will need that eventually.

If you don't have a reloading press, let me recomend a Dillon RL550b, I love mine. ;o)

Geezer
            Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

you lucky lot here in the uk if we get found with anythink that looks like a gun we go straight to prison,,,,,,,,,,i just have a r1 that sounds like a gun when i flick the kill switch.

Comment

Scoobes- sorry about that, does not seem right to me

Denny - Thanks I really do like the Kimber, most are in the $1100 range for something nice though...maybe I should save my $$.

DiverRay- I looked a used Gold Gup a few years back, was only $500 or something...I am kicking myself right now.

Danny- I had a stainless Colt 1991 (newer model) picked out about 6 months ago and the store got robbed and they took it. I was pissed and have not gone back to see if they replaced it yet. Maybe I will stop there soon. Thanks! Never seen a Norinco.

chevy454- Umm...great man cool gun...I think , I actually have one older than that! An 1866 Springfield Allin Conversion model breech loader, shoots .50-70 Lock plated dated 1864 (correct for 1866 conversion).

Geezer - Thanks for the info, I do have a rock-Crusher with the piggy back progressive press...work fine for me. The Dillion stuff is top-notch however.
                Gary Granger

Comment

My Colts are 44 cal black powder that I reenact with. I also carry a Navy that is 36 cal, they are all fine weapons.
                  Don
                  99 Valkyrie Interstate named Drakker

81 XS1100 H Peppylebleu sold and gone to a good home

81 XS1100 Midnight Special Peppyledeux sold and gone to another great home

Comment

I've got a 1911A1 that I put together myself about 25 years ago. I came across a bunch of spare parts Barrels Slides etc. only thing I had to buy was the reciever where the serial # is. I actually had enough spares for about 2 1/2 guns so I was able to trade the parts at a gun shop for the reciever. the guy orederd 2 recievers and we each built one it was a pretty neet deal. Wish I had more time to shoot it.
                    Russ Neal
                    Milton, NH
                    04 GL1800 ABS
                    04 Kawasaki Concours(Sold)
                    99 Royal Star Venture(Sold)
                    80 XS1000 Special(Sold)
                    83 XJ750 Midnight Maxim(Sold)
                    80 XS1100G(Sold)
                    81 XS 650 Special(Sold)

Comment

Hey 66, If your not in a hurry and are willing to frequent some gun shows, you can probably still pick up a decent series 80 colt 45 gov. for around the $500.00-$600.00 range. Look for inperfections as in missing a magazine or hand grips. you'll have to have a good eye though cuz someone will always try and sell you one that is not in good mechanical condition. Unless you know gunsmithing, I would stay away from those. Back in the late 80's colt came out with the 15 round conversion kit to try and save their sales to the gov but Barretta won it anyway with the 92F. If your looking for older 45's Try looking at gov surplus stores that sell firearms. ( not all do ) Back in WW2 Colt could not keep up with demand so they " hired out " to Ithica and Remington to manufacture 45's for our troops. Keep your eye open cuz just like our XS's. There are some good deals out there. Just got to be patient and you'll find what you want
                      S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
                      1-big XS patch
                      1-small XS/XJ patch
                      1-XS/XJ owners pin.
                      1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
                      2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
                      1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
                      1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

at last count

i do believe 1860 came before 1866,but who's counting. Mine is the first repeating firearm used by the us military,or should i say cavelry? I'm led to believe that henry was purchased by winchester later down the road, But i could be mistaken. Last appraiseal was in the 30,000 range. (us dollars). So i don't use it. But is in good working order.
                        1982 XJ 1100

Comment

Re: at last count

Originally posted by chevy45412001
                          i do believe 1860 came before 1866,but who's counting. Mine is the first repeating firearm used by the us military,or should i say cavelry? I'm led to believe that henry was purchased by winchester later down the road, But i could be mistaken. Last appraiseal was in the 30,000 range. (us dollars). So i don't use it. But is in good working order.
                          Oh yeah, for some reason I thought the post said 1870, sorry about that. $30K is a lot, must be in awsome condition.
                          Gary Granger

Comment

yes

it is in very good condition,but even if it was rusted to $hit and parts missing it could fetch in XS of 10,000. Like stated it was the first repeating gun anywhere near the states anyway,not sure of abroad. I'll try to get some pics and post.
                            1982 XJ 1100

Comment

Stan's shoot-out

you must understand that my buddy Stan is an eccentric.
                              Not that attending a "quickdraw" competition is eccentric in itself but attending in a cowboy suit packing a replica cap & ball Colt .36 and riding an ex-army Harley is a touch extreme.
                              Which is why Stan was slowly puttin' home & enjoying the day wearing a cowboy suit & a quick-draw holstered pistol.
                              The yokels in the overtaking Chevy must have though him a suitable butt for obscene gestures.
                              Stan is also quick to take offense at a perceived slight.
                              He really shouldn't have drawn his piece and fired at the Chevy's passenger window. Those soft-charged wax & graphite quickdraw loads make a really impressive "James Bond" style bullet mark.
                              "Never seen an ol' Chevy go that fast before." sez Stan.
                              Fred Hill, S'toon.
                              Fred Hill, S'toon
                              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                              X