No announcement yet.

First ever Bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 Yamaha 650 Special, bought new in 1982 from change saved from my waiter job at night while going to college. It was my first vehicle of any kind, and I rode it year 'round in Denver. Paid cash in installments and two weeks after I finally finished paying for it and drove it off the lot (complete newbie on a motorcycle as my parents wouldn't let me have one) into downtown Denver traffic, the bike shop, Yamaha South, went out of business. Whew! That was a close one on many levels. Should have seen my fellow waiters/waitresses laughing their tails off as I sat in the parking lot of Big Boys trying to put it on the center stand while sitting on it...
    The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Psalm 19:1

Comment

Mine was a 60's something harley 250 single cylinder pseudo-dirt bike. I was going down a hill on it, and a rock got caught between the tire and the fender... it threw me over the handlebars, then the bike went over my head and to the bottom of the hill... it was still chugging when I got to it.
      Dr. Tim Walters

Florida Atlantic University
      The Rats
      Full Flight Foundation, Inc.

"just put the trumpet down and slowly back away..."

"owned by a 79 XS1100 Special"

Comment

My first bike was a new ’71 Honda CB350. The dealer tried to sell me a one-year-old CB450 for the same price, but I wanted a new one. This was in Oct of ’71. I didn’t keep it but a few months. Didn’t get back into biking until 1981 when I bought a 1979 Yamaha 750 triple Midnight Special that had been wrecked. Had it on the road in 3 weeks but before I was completely done with it a year latter I had replaced EVERYTHING, including the frame, except the wiring harness, clutch and brake perches, seat and one rear signal light! Traded it in on a new ’82 XJ1100 and a year later traded that in on a ’83 Venture (wife’s idea). In ’94 bought a ’82 XJ1100 that 2 years later my son totaled out an S-10 pickup with. Last September found another XJ1100 that had the factory fairing on it (my first two also had the fairings) and am in the process of completely restoring it now.

Louis
        "There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it cannot be overcome by
        brute strength and ignorance" And possibly some Mouse Milk!
        '82 XJ1100J
        LED Dir and running lights
        LED Tail/Brake lights (4) one flashing
        Modulated H/L
        PIAA Driving lights
        YICS Eliminated
        750 FD

Yamaha Factory X-1 Fairing and Luggage

Comment

I am just starting to restore a 79 XS1100, and right now I think this will be so much more fun than just starting with a new one... but ask me again in a year, and much $$$, later!
          Dr. Tim Walters

The Rats

Comment

Doc, you'll be so much happier, and prouder with something that has your name on it and in it. I restored mine back in 92, (26k mile rat bike) and I am still riding it, (95k miles) and I will be for the next 10 years or so. Have been accumlating the needed parts for a complete rebuild of a stock 78 engine (Organ Donor). So far I have a set of crank bearings, and a 1st oversize set of rings. I already have a head gasket. Things don't rust so fast here in Tx, so I don't have to worry about that. Just gotta worry about the sun fading everything.
            If your new bike is complete, and it sound like it is, as it was ridden to your house, then the resto project shouldn't take too much. you already have all of the parts to do the job.
            Last edited by John; 02-11-2005, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Maybe, but my offer still stands: I'll trade you straight across for that beaut you already restored, so you can have all the fun again!

Seriously, I am looking forward to every penny of it...
              Dr. Tim Walters

The Rats

Comment

The hardest part is taking it off the road during the resto project. That is when it will seem like the best riding weather. I did mine in April or May, and it took about a week over all to swap engines and get the bugs worked out.. I have put 3k miles on it since. No problems other than some overlooked crankshaft seals, that I had to pull it back out, split it open and replace the seals. Take my word for it...buy some new seals. They are available from Bike Bandit for sure, and possibily other places like that. They were only about $7 each.

Comment

OK, I'll add the Bike Bandit to my list of resources... fortunately the shop that is doing the work has no problem with me bringing in parts for them to install... thanks!
                  Dr. Tim Walters

The Rats

Comment

Parts

Hey Doc You are one lucky guy to have a shop that actualy takes an intrest in your bike,let's you buy parts elseware and install them for you.. Check elseware on the site for Horror storys. Good Luck on your restoration. Take your time and do it once. LoL bkr

Comment

I am hoping I will feel as good about them after they have done some work and I have the bike back...

They have lots of old bikes in there being worked on... the oldest: a 1942 BMW with a sidecar!
                      Dr. Tim Walters

The Rats

Comment

Working...
                      X