First ever Bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First ever Bike

Since I'm fairly new to this forum, this might of been asked before. I think it would be interesting to see what other peoples first bikes were.
    Mine was of all things a 1968 Bridgestone 90 dual purpose. I got it used in about 1973 as a birthday present for my dad. He spent the whole first day " making sure it was safe to ride" before I ever got the chance. We ahd a dairy farm so I had lots of places to ride. Ended up wearing it completely out. But is has a place in my heart. Hoping to hear other stories
    78E ... Gone but not forgotten
    2006 Kawasaki Concours....just getting to know it

Back in about '68....first bike was a 1945 Harly 45, complete with left-side gas tank 3-speed shifting lever. Also had leather saddlebags. Hardtail, only rear suspension was the springs in the bicycle-type seat. That 16 inch rear car tire did OK on the rural gravel roads in central Wisconsin. It was in pretty rough shape; I had found it in a farmer's barn where it had sat for many years. I didn't keep it long, was a kid with no money to fix it up properly, and a guy who saw me riding it made me an offer I couldn't refuse at the time. (The money went to buy a used Austin-Healy.)
    Have not owned a Harley since, but still have fond memories of pelting down the road on that thing.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Honda

Im 1968 i got my first bike, saved my money 200.00 and bought a 66 honda 90 s . There were not a lot of these around, it was a 5 speed with a clutch and steel fenders. It would do 70 mph wound out ( WOW) pretty fast on a 180 lb bike. lol It got about 80 mpg and i put a lot of miles on it before i sold it and got my 300 honda dream. Now that was a piece of crap but it was mine, sold that and bought a brand new 250 rd yamaha in 1972 for 699.00. Would that little 2 stroke ever fly, and so it goes still biking at 52 yrs old with no plans on stopping for a long time............MITCH
      Doug Mitchell
      82 XJ1100 sold
      2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
      2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
      1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
      47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

first bike

My first was a Honda 305 Scrambler (1966?)
        I found it in a friend's garage in several large piles and bought it for $40. That included everything except the wiring harness.

I was teaching auto mechanics at a high school at the time and had several of the students rebuild the bike and make a new harness.

Rode it for about six months and then sold it for a small profit.

My second bike, the xs11 - twenty one years later.
        Walt
        80 XS11s - "Landshark"
        79 XS11s
        03 Valkyrie
        80 XS Midnight Special - Freebee 1
        78 Honda CB125C - Freebee 2
        81 Suzuki 850L - Freebee 3

Comment

I built my first 'motorbike' when I was 15 in 1972.

It began as a Raliegh 3-speed bicycle. I mounted a Briggs and Stratton 3hp roto-tiller engine on it, reworked the chain length and transferred power through a standard centrifugal mini-bike clutch.

It had lots of go with the three speed Raliegh hub!. The local cops weren't too happy with it, though and made me park it permanently.

Had to wait another four years to buy a 76 KZ400. It's been all XS's since then. An 81 SH and now the 78 E.

Randy

Comment

honda 250 wet dream (super dream) rose tinted specs big bike
            went like a moped flippin nightmare spent a summer doing a nut and bolt rebuild and was gutted when i got it on the open road slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow!!!
            Don't put all yer eggs into one basket ,,,case

Comment

1972 (or around there) sl 125 honda duel purpose
              never got it legal but had it for 3 years
              http://home.securespeed.us/~xswilly/
              78E main ride, since birth the "good"
              78E Parts, the "bad" fixing up now
              78E Parts the "ugly" maybe next year
              79F Parts
              80G Parts
              75 DT 400B enduro

Comment

1965 (or so) Raleigh Runabout:

Sure was easy on gas, and I've still got it out in my garden shed!!
                Ken Talbot

Comment

My first two wheeler was a 3.5hp home made thing my Dad and I built around 1965. We called it a Tote Goats. My first real motorcycle was a Yamaha DT250, '71 I think.
                  DZ
                  Vyger, 'F'
                  "The Special", 'SF'
                  '08 FJR1300

Comment

A 197? Honda CL175, 197? Honda CB200T, 1978 Honda CB400TII, 197? Suzuki TS185, 1978 Honda XR250, 1982 Honda XL250R, (current) 1978 Yamaha XS1100E, and the other bikes on my signature.
                    Pat Kelly
                    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

First motor bike was just that the neighborhood mr fixit helped me put a brigs 3 horse in a stingray 20 in bike remember those with the stick shift in the top tubes of the frame ? i thought i built a screaming machine but hey i was 10 what did I know the next was an alstate scooter i stripped of most tin and ran on old rr lines used a brigs piston in that thing of unknown origion pulled it from a brigs parts motor in shop class and just honed the hell out of that alstate till it fit ran good for a year though . had a jawa californian 250 and a zundap 100 went down behind my dad on a bridgestone 90 .well this was supposed to be FIRST bike right you guys just got me thinking of past bikes and ive had about a hundred of them got 10 here now and will be adding a nother one saturday never enough money bikes or time
                      hammerman35@juno.com

Comment

When I got my license I didn't have money for a bike of my own, so I had to settle with riding on my fathers Ducati ST4
                        But the XS I have now is my first bike, not nearly as insane as the duke but a LOT more comfortable for those long tours.
                        Gisle Vestergaard
                        XS 1100 Sport

Comment

My first was a Cushman that was probably a fifty-five or fifty-six model. It didn't have a transmission and had a centrifugal clutch. I bought it from a neighbor for $100 and got my learner's permit (starting drivers license) three months before my 14th birthday. I sold it soon after and bought a NEW 1962 Cushman Super-Eagle. They were the scoot of choice where I grew up and the parking lot was full of them at my Junior High.
                          Bill Murrin
                          Nashville, TN
                          1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
                          1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
                          2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
                          2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
                          1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
                          2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

In 1964, a used Honda 50 scooter, 3 speed semi-auto transmission. I know....sissy scooter. But, remember the slogan then was "You meet the nicest people on a Honda!". It was the first of many bikes and I'm still riding!
                            Dennis

Comment

My first was also a Bridgestone. A 1968 Bridgestone 60 sport. A few years later moved up to a Bridgestone 100 TMX.
                              Great bikes for trail riding around the farm and sure beat walking to bring the cows home for milking time.
                              XJ1100 Ruby Red
                              XS1100LH "Midnight"
                              1972 MGB Roadster "sold"

Comment

Working...
                              X