4-1 header anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey DennyZ,

Are you talking about out of S.S.? For the flange, instead of trying to bend the end, how about getting a large SS Washer that's wider than the Head opening, and cutting it to fit snugly over the end of the header pipes and inside the head, and welding it on, that way you can also fit the bolting flange on the pipe first, then weld the washer lip to hold the flange on and get the sealing lip at the same time?

As for the collector, do they make SS in rounded corner square tubing that would be larger than all four pipes put into a 2x2 configuration? That way you could conform the section of the square that's inbetween the pipes(that crease) by using a torch to heat it to softness to bend/push/hammer the crease in, so that you could THEN put a nice close weld bead around the individual header pipes and the junction with the collector!?

Then I would hope you could find a Square to round adapter for the other end of the collector square to a round pipe for running to a muffler set!? I'm no metalurgist or Smithy, so take this with several grains of salt!? T.C. just pondering!?
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

ya

ya what TC said,the chopper gus do that all the time. Could also take flat stock and bend ,form in two halfs also ,then weld up the seams when you get the fit right?Imangine it 3", 4" ,5" exit dia. pipes way.....way ...cool
      1982 XJ 1100
      going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
      now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

header

Hi beech.
        yes it is a 4-1 header without muffler.not sure who made it tho. give me a ring..
        when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
        80 sg (old faithfull)

Comment

On Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=35596
          Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

drop for oil

looks like a drop for oil set.But i've been wrong before...
            1982 XJ 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Dennyz

I have looked at fabricating a 4:1 header, but have not yet figured out how to make the collector or the flange on the end of the tube (that goes in the head). This list will be the frist to know, should I figure this out.
              Most of the ones I've seen look like a tube large enough to go over the 4 smaller tubes welded together then hammered down to fill in the gaps. It looks like a lot of work with out a fixture to make one.

As I recall Vance and Hinds welded a bolt ground to a point in the center where the 4 pipes joined to help flow but no other pipe makers ever did this.

Geezer
              Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Thanks for good ideas on fab'ing a header. Will give them some thought.

The real problem I am running into is that if anything for these bikes take to much labor, it is just not worth it. Harely guys thing nothing of paying big buck for their custom exhausts, making it worth hand building custom systems.

XS'er are much more budget minded. Our best bet is tweaking used parts and what new parts are still available. By the time I bough prebent SS tubing, cut, welded, ground, and polished the seams, I would be into it more than it is worth. Not to mention the flanges and collector. It is defintily doable, just not practical.

My guess is that the eBay header is a MAC. The MAC 4:1 has the unique feature of placing it's collector in the middle of the bike. This is great for cornering and not so great for speed bumps. It would be a good choice if somebody was interested in buiding a dual muffler system, like a can on both sides. A bit more complicated but would look great. The MAC provides enough room for the oil filter to drop straight down.

The one on eBay looks a bit banged up (speed bumps) but is repairable. Particularly if it is going to be painted black. I am keeping an eye on it, if nobody wants it and I can get it cheep, I may snatch it up.
                DZ
                Vyger, 'F'
                "The Special", 'SF'
                '08 FJR1300

Comment

got one for DennyZ

I have a kerker 4-1 system. it is rust out right at the collector. Two pipes are still welded two pipes are free of everything. you can have the pipes minus the can for shipping if interested. (it has the rings etc Flange that goes in the motor) You can saw off what you need and go from there.
                  1982 XJ 1100

Comment

quite sure

Comment

Originally posted by Dennyz

My guess is that the eBay header is a MAC. The MAC 4:1 has the unique feature of placing it's collector in the middle of the bike. This is great for cornering and not so great for speed bumps. It would be a good choice if somebody was interested in buiding a dual muffler system, like a can on both sides. A bit more complicated but would look great. The MAC provides enough room for the oil filter to drop straight down.
                      I missed that one but since you're gong for it, I won't. My guess is that it's a Supertrap front half. Supertrap centered the collector but left the pipes wide in front of the oil filter.

I wasn't thinking about a production custom header but rather ideas for those of us that weld to build our own. I plan to build or buy a 4 into 1 for the 79 standard that I'm restoring but I'm not in a hurry.

Geezer
                      Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by kf4anm
                        quite sure
                        Would those pipes maybe be off a Midnight? I'm thinking the Midnight Maxim had black pipes. I just might be interested in taking 'em off your hands. I'm just up the road from Indy about 90 minutes.
                        Last edited by macnut xj; 09-02-2004, 08:53 PM.
                        John
                        82 XJ1100J
                        "eXJunk"

Comment

black

my maxim was not a midnight special. the headers are flat black and the slip ons were chrome. i pitched the slip ons. your welcome to them if your interested, since my maxim is now someone elses property.

if the link works properly here they are in all their original glory

Comment

Working...
                          X