Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post Op Update

Hey there folks,

Got surgery done, was out by Friday midday. It's amazing how much pain the muscles in your neck can generate after they are traumatized(cut upon)!! My numbness and pinched nerve symptoms have already gone completely. I just have a very stiff neck and can't reach up and across my chest with my arms yet, due to the induced pain from my still cut and sore trapezious muscles!!

Dave, I don't recall any steel grates on the BBT. I think there is one on the Coleman bridge(N-17), and also on the JRB on South 17, rode over the south one 2 times a day for almost 2 years going to work, in all sorts of weather, lots of fun in rain and sleet/snow!!! Catch ya later.
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Fantastic!

Great news T.C.! We've been praying for you, glad to hear that all went well.
      Walt
      80 XS11s - "Landshark"
      79 XS11s
      03 Valkyrie
      80 XS Midnight Special - Freebee 1
      78 Honda CB125C - Freebee 2
      81 Suzuki 850L - Freebee 3

Comment

Good news! You'll be back on the bike in no time.
        Bill Murrin
        Nashville, TN
        1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
        1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
        2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
        2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
        1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
        2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

Great news TC.

Thanks for the heads up on the other bridges. I have to head to Mexico this next week for a week of work but I hope to get down the week after, but can't say for sure yet.

Hey, if it hurts when you do that don't do it! (famous quote but don't remember who to give the credit to.)

Talk to you later.

deo/dave
          82 XJ1100 "Resurrected"
          Riding with the Son

Comment

HEY TC welcome back glad everything went well for you. I got to go to Virginia last year is that the bridge tunnel your talking about ? I only got part of that thread. anyway I dont remember any grates in it other than an occasional drain not any big open grate deckspans .Luckily we don,t have any around here because I grew up on biker horror stories about those bridges there was one near where I lived when I was a little kid it scared the hell out of me in a car because I could see down to the river this was the kind with big overhead girders .The first story I ever heard of how dangerous motorcycles were is about some guy speeding on an Indian and loosing control on that bridge he hit a side girder head first and stuffed his head down into his chest so he looked headless. thats all the grown ups talked about for weeks if they thought us kids were outa ear range my dad and a couple of my uncles stopped for the guy but obviously couldn,t do anything for him .This is the only reason I believe it happened because I knew the witnesses at the scene luckily I never saw it but it was big news for a small New England town in the 50s it also put a stop to my dad getting a bike cause after that everyone road him about how he,d get killed or something he took the money he had saved and bought the farm that I was raised on instead .there I go wandering off with my memories instead of staying on track very glad things went well for you also wanted you to know that my new tire is on and that its a Maxxis promaxx street my son has road tested it to about 100 and says it handles fine I havent ridden it yet but it should be fine I guess the dealer insists I will like it and get good milage out of it as he races with the same tire in a street tire class we,ll just have to wait and see as it was mounted already but I swear randy said he was selling me a Bridgestone anyway Mark is the longtime racer and he,s why i went there. loking forward to exchanging more emails
            Leon
            hammerman35@juno.com

Comment

Welcome back! Heal well!

I ran lots of steel grate bridges in Alaska...they are no problem....just slow down a bit and make sure you are not turning a lot on them... they can be slick, especially when wet (the feel a lot like gravel).
              CUAgain,
              Daniel Meyer
              Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
              Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Glad to hear everything worked out good.It will proably take a while to heal all the way so take your time.You will be back on the road before you know it.Take care.
                Bill Harvell

Comment

Essentially Recovered!

Hey there folks, just got a PM from a concerned Xsive, and realized that I might need to post a followup on my condition, although I'm sure many of you have seen my message posts since the date of my surgery, but sitting at a computer desk and wiggling my fingers isn't too hard to do!

I'm about 90%, still have some twinges if I lean down or over and reach too far out, but all of my pinched nerve symptoms are gone!! It's just the muscle pains from where the Dr. put that 3" long gash up my neck that is taking some time to heal. It was amazing how much of your neck/shoulder muscles are involved in almost every position you get into, like bending over to brush your teeth, and other unmentionable toiletry duties, leaning over to eat, pushing/rolling yourself over in bed, etc!! But, my stitches are out, and I'm back to work tomorrow, not too bad, 2-1/2 week recovery period.

Thanks again for all the well wishes and such!! No replies needed, just a fun FYI!!
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Same surgery

Hi TopCat, I had the same surgery, same 2 vertebrae in 1999. Lost feeling in ring and middle finger but was so glad to be rid of the pain. My pain got to the point that iv morphine didnt stop it. Good luck, take it easy on your recovery period, WEAR the neck brace, I know it a pain but wear it. And keep riding, I ride my XS every day, year round. Buck

Comment

WooHoo!

Glad to hear it TopCat.

I'll see you on the road...
                      CUAgain,
                      Daniel Meyer
                      Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
                      Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

T.C.
                        Sorry to hear that you had to have surgery. Very glad to hear that you are on the mend. I hope that you are nearly fully recovered & that you will make a full and rapid recovery.
                        Ken
                        '79 xs1100f
                        '79 xs1100sf

Comment

Working...
                        X