Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going Under the KNIFE!

Hey there folks,

Just a quick note, I've been battling a pinched nerve in my neck for going on 5 months now, have gone thru 3 weeks of prednisone, then 1 month of Prescription Nsaid, then 1 month of OTC Aleve, Chiropractic adjustments/ traction,rest, all to no avail. When I raise my head essentially up to straight ahead, or slightly upwards, my left arm starts going numb with pains radiating thru my neck/shoulder and down. Saw the Neurosurgeon yesterday, and the results of my MRI with my physical shows a definite herniation of my C6-C7 disk space impinging upon my left nerve root to my arm, have already lost my ulnar reflex, but no other motor function loss or weakness, thankfully.

Fortunately, it's lateral to the disc space, and so he can approach it from the back/left side avoiding all of that delicate tissue in the front: trachea-windpipe; voice box; esophagus, and all the nerves and vessels there abouts!!! This also means that I won't have to have a FUSION, no degenerative joint/bone disease present, and not fusing reduces further calcification and possible natural fusing of the joints above it that CAN occur with a surgical fusion! Don't have to wear a neck brace, can retain full range of motion, and will only have to be out of work for a little over a week! It's scheduled for this coming Thursday, Aug. 05.

I'll still be able to sit at the computer and type, so there won't be too many days of my absence, like you guys would miss me anyways!!

And I won't have to give up riding the XS, just take several weeks off to let my neck muscles heal!!!! The surgeon is a biker also....I knew I liked him for some reason!!
    Wow, did I say quick, sorry, my faux paux!!!!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Best of luck and a quick recovery.

Big Pat

Comment

Good luck TC.

I had Jaw surgery last year, and the recovery was no fun. Take time too heal.
      Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

Best wishes T.C.!

Take care and heal well!
        CUAgain,
        Daniel Meyer
        Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
        Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Best wishes and prayers for a speedy recovery TC
          '79 Special

Comment

Good Luck

We'll keep you in our prayers also, and with your permission (aren't lawers a pain?) I'll add you to our church prayer list.
            Walt
            80 XS11s - "Landshark"
            79 XS11s
            03 Valkyrie
            80 XS Midnight Special - Freebee 1
            78 Honda CB125C - Freebee 2
            81 Suzuki 850L - Freebee 3

Comment

Good luck and God Speed. Looks like you'll be haveing an XSive amount of time at the keyboard. When I had all my bottom teeth pulled, I found that the pain killers they give you, Mixed with a few beers and a few shots of hard stuff works pretty good. Good luck and XSspeedy recovery.
              S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
              1-big XS patch
              1-small XS/XJ patch
              1-XS/XJ owners pin.
              1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
              2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
              1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
              1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

I wish you a speedy recovery.At least you have doctors who sorta know what they are doing.I have had a pinched nerve in my neck sense 99.My left arm and leg go numb sometimes also tingles.Thanks to HMOs nothing has ever been done so I have just learned to live with it.Take care of yourself and catch you on the rerun.Best of luck.
                Bill Harvell

Comment

Thanks everybody for the well wishes!!

Hey Bill,
                  I, too, am in an HMO! You said that your leg will go numb as well as your arm!? The leg nerves come out around the lower back, the arm around the neck, two different regions! You may have more than 1 place with damage?

Some folks do have only intermittent aggravation from this type of thing. Mine is every day and many times a day depending upon what position I put my head in, so it interferes with both my work as well as my home life and leisure life, causing both numbness and eventual pain....that's the key word they want to hear! But if it is mild and intermittent and resting and mild medication can ease the discomfort to a tolerable level, AND it's not interferring with your ability to work or enjoy life, then that's why they don't always recommend surgery!

Now, if yours is aggravating you often, then you need to make some noise, complain about it to your PCP, get them to get at least a CT Scan to check for arthritic changes, narrowing of the intervertebral spaces and nerve foramens(openings in the bones that the nerves run thru). A possible referral to a Neurologist for more extensive tests to ensure that you aren't having nerve damage to your extremeties....loss of reflexes. The sensory nerves are on the outside of the nerve bundle, they get compressed first and cause the numbness and tingles, but if more compression occurs, then it affects the deeper motor nerves that are used for controlling the limb, more serious damage!!! HTH!?
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Pain in the Neck

Hey TC Good luck on your surgery and take it easy after. You have to heal. bkr

Comment

Pinched Nerves

my prayers are with you, and please listen to the doc on the recovery so that in the long run you are really healed before biking again. God's blessings on you.
                      J.D."Jack" Smith
                      1980G&S "Halfbreed"
                      1978E straight job
                      "We the people are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts, not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Life is like a coin, you can choose to spend it any way you wish, but you can only spend it once. Make your choices wisely.

Comment

TopCat it is like what I said I have just learned to deal with it.You must have some good doctors where you are at.Thanks for the advice.May you have a swift and speedy full recovery.Take care.
                        Bill Harvell

Comment

Good Luck TC!

I play Bass in a band and the guitarist had that very procedure done last year. He is pain-free now....as you soon shall be.

Our prayers,

Materi
                          They Call Me the Breeze

'79 SF

Comment

Neck Surgery

My Dad just recovered from back surgery where they fused two vertibrae together with titanium bars (ouch). He initially was in a lot of pain during recovery and was taking an inordinate amout of pain killers which turned out to be a problem of it's own. Anyway, he is now off the pain meds and feels better than he has in the last 6 years since he had the disk blow out.

Be patient and take it real easy on the recovery T.C.

Comment

Good luck!! See you soon.
                              Marty in NW PA
                              Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
                              Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
                              This IS my happy face.

Comment

Working...
                              X