XSive Crossing country in need

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XSive Crossing country in need

I am working my way back to NC from CO and have developed a bad oil leak from my right side cover. Any one in KS between CO and Topeka able to find a shaft seal and be able to help replace it?
    In Goodland now, heading east stopping every 100.

Chris
    704-770-5337 if you can help.
    1979 XS 1100SF Serenity
    1981 XJ650 Midnight - Black Betty
    Road Dog 4 Life

Which shaft?
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Looking for the right crankcase shaft seal. Latest stop shows no significant amount of loss, but it is dripping.
      1979 XS 1100SF Serenity
      Road Dog 4 Life

Comment

The kick start shaft? We are passing woodland right now headed to Colorado. If you Google Yamaha dealers where you are they should have that seal.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

It is the seal under the stator on the right side of the engine.

Working on finding stealership.
          1979 XS 1100SF Serenity
          Road Dog 4 Life

Comment

Ok.Are you sure it's the crank seal or is it the o ring on the oil galleyat the alternator cover holds in. If it's just th o ring it'll be a pretty easy fix.
            If it's the crank seal it is supposed to be replaced with the cases split.
            There is a lip on the outside of the seal that fits into a groove in the cases.
            There is an after market seal that can be just driven in but I have seen them get blown back out
            Ill see if I can get the dimensions. You should be able to find one at any auto parts house.
            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Oil galley plug. Fat fingering in a bumpy truck
              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

This thread has seal dimensions and part #s, hope it's helpful. FWIW, I developed a similar leak on the left side a couple years ago on the way to XSSE in NC, was visiting some friends in SC prior to the rally start. I probably put 1,200 miles on the XJ after the leak started, just kept a close watch on the oil level, and then fixed it when I got back home to NY. Good Luck!
                Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

Comment

Oops, forgot the link to the thread...what a dim wit!!

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20900
                  Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

Comment

I replaced the o-ring a few weeks ago. When I take the cover off, there is oil up near the shaft, can't really see all the way up. We made it 600 miles today and lost only a little bit of oil overall. When I started the thread, there was a large amount that came out all at once, then it seemed to slow down. I think I will make it the last 1000 home. Will order a seal when I get home, along with a rear tire and mufflers.

Thanks a ton guys! As always, great forum.
                    1979 XS 1100SF Serenity
                    Road Dog 4 Life

Comment

Home again

Made it home safe and sound. Leaked about a quart from NC to CO.
                      Damage done:
                      Right side crankshaft needs replaced
                      New rear tire
                      New exhaust/mufflers

Great trip overall. 4,000 miles in 10 days.
                      1979 XS 1100SF Serenity
                      Road Dog 4 Life

Comment

Good to see you made it home.

Earl
                        80SG, 81SH, 80 standard parts bike, 81SH parts bike
                        and new to me 78 standard dresser

Comment

Working...
                        X