Journey of my 79 XS1100F

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Journey of my 79 XS1100F

If you had asked me how I envisioned this bike when I first picked it up, I would have told you "Running, and with me on it". I purchased this bike for $400 in October of 2012. It had right at 20K miles, and hadn't ridden on the road in over 14 years. It had spent half its life sitting under a tarp on the side of a mountain. The last guy to own it had it given to him by the family of the original owner after he passed. So the last owner is an xs1100 nut and has two fully restored xs11 specials, and then my beast and a parts bike. Of which I acquired the xs1100f and its counter part, parts bike. As I have gone down this rabbit hole at times I figured to get it running enough to use as a down payment on a brand new bike. But I have put so much time and effort into this thing it feels like an extension of myself. I know every square inch of her and love working on her. This will be the first riding season where I can ride her the all the way through. I could post a million pictures of the different things I have done on her, but this post is about having a single place to have a collective chronicling of her progress.

The things I have done:
    • Replaced the farring
    • Went LED on the turn signals and brake light
    • Modified the front fender from the parts bike to work as a rear fender
    • Made the seat from fiberglass pan, to shaping the foam, to sewing my own seat cover.
    • Changed the airbox over to Pods
    • Completely kitted the carbs from the ground up.
    • Re-shimmed
    • Wrapped the blued pipes

Things I plan to do:
    • Remove the side panels
    • create a well house for the battery and electronics using fiberglass.
    • "Clean up" The wiring and remove some excess. (this one all depends on if the wiring can't be hidden.)
    • Replace the spark plug wires.
    • Replace handlebars with the European cafe bars.
    • Weld on the hoop bar for the back.
    • Painting the tank
    • Replacing the gauges with smaller and a single all in one.

So from now on instead of posting into the "what did you do today" I'll throw it in here and see where it goes. So from here this is how it looks.

And before you judge...Kermit has put over 14K miles riding with me on my last bike and hes there to stay!

79F with two parts bikes (78E and a 79F). Ran it for the first season all the way through the summer. more work to do this Spring!

Sharp looking bike, with good-looking OEM exhaust! If you do get rid of the side panels, I'm sure there would be many fellow forum looking to buy them off you.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Nice job !!! These bikes look more period correct with the round headlight.

One suggestion, when it's time to do your "spark plug wires" splurge for the Dyna coils, your baby always needs trinkets
      1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
      1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
      1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
      1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
      1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Its not bad...but is not great either. I can't wait for the other tank to get finished up proper. I gained a good amount of respect today for people who make every blemish disappear when they strip/bondo/paint anything.

79F with two parts bikes (78E and a 79F). Ran it for the first season all the way through the summer. more work to do this Spring!

Comment

Originally posted by Schming View Post
          Nice job !!! These bikes look more period correct with the round headlight.
          Might look period correct, but a round headlight with square gauges, and those original bars looks kinda goofy. Steve helped me embrace the look of the square headlight. I like it now. Looks macho.
          1979 XS1100F
          2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Yeah I agree it still looks goofy I have new handle bars coming in this next week. And when I finally decided on the right round gauges it should cut down on the block look

Comment

And when I finally decided on the right round gauges it should cut down on the block look
              XS11 special's will fit easily. Speedo's from almost any Yamaha will work, but the tach almost needs to be from an 11...
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                XS11 special's will fit easily. Speedo's from almost any Yamaha will work, but the tach almost needs to be from an 11...
                Or just put a small electronic unit on there, like an Acewell. That big square console now looks very wrong.

Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

Very cool and I look forward to future posts on your progress.

LOVE the Kermit!
                  81 SH Something Special
                  81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                  81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                  80 LG Black Magic
                  78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                  For those on FB

Comment

well it would seem my trust in this things was miss placed....as I attempted to shift into 1st the shifter kept going....and now the transmission makes a clacking noise as I moved the bike off the road...without holding in the shifter...so now it sits two miles from my house...and to make matters worse I went to get it the lights on my trailer decided that tonight was also their night quit working.... Not sure what I did...but the wife told me to just go buy a new motorcycle... but I have put so much time into this thing....

Comment

sounds like something loose under the shifter side cover. May not be bad at all. There is always hope...
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG
                      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Could be anything under that right cover. Fortunately it'll probably take you five minutes to pull the cover and see the problem, and however long to fix it. No worries.
                        1979 XS1100F

Comment

Do I need to drain the oil? Or can I tip the lady on her side and poke around?

Comment

Whoops. I meant left cover. Not sure about the oil. I know you don't have to on the right side, as the bike leans to the left on the side stand.
                            1979 XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by nzemke View Post
                              Do I need to drain the oil? Or can I tip the lady on her side and poke around?
                              There is a drain hole in the shift cover area engine case to allow the oil to drain back into the main sump pan. You can tilt the bike to the right a bit to allow as much to drain as possible, and then pull it up on the centerstand. Then you can pull the shift cover off and not loose much oil at all.

T.C.
                              T. C. Gresham
                              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                              History shows again and again,
                              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                              X