No announcement yet.

New Member Intro/81H Build, Icebreaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was going over design ideas today and noticed something strange. The venturer has vented rotors all around, my bike has solid rotors. Closer look, the rotors are too small. Only half getting friction, popped off the caliper and half the brake pad was stepped and worn the same. Seems the 81h requires 298mm diameter rotor compared to the 266mm that is on it. Looks like I now also need a pair of large vented rotors.

Here is the head on shot showing the caliper gap.

Oh, and these rotors are up for grabs if anyone is interested.
    Matt
    81H Rebirth/Custom Build
    1st Gen RX7; Audi quattro; Wrangler JK
    PanikSwitch Cycles - Brewer ME
    http://s48.photobucket.com/user/Arth...201100%20Build

Comment

It has 850 or 750 rotors on it.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I figured those or the special. Just PMd Andreas.
        Matt
        81H Rebirth/Custom Build

Comment

The 11 Special uses the same size rotors as the Standard. Up to 80 they were all solid, after that they were slotted.

I have seen some G and H's with solid rotors though.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Received the gasket kit today, as well as the 4 into 1. I grabbed this specifically because it doesn't have a megaphone, just straight pipe. That will give me freedom to properly make a fool of myself fabricating the rest. Found a pair of like new stainless Ducati cans hiding at the shop. Perhaps I can make something work, or perhaps I'll just polish and keep the factory duals and shelve the header.

Matt
            81H Rebirth/Custom Build

Comment

You're going to need a slight bend to the left on the in pipe on that muffler. approximately the same as the right bend in the header. I bet it'll sound good though.

That looks kinda like a Kerker header. Is it?

The problem with those is the ground clearance under the engine. You'll scrape and flatten it going in and out of driveways.
              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

For clarification the G's / or 80s had the slotted rotors. My LG has slotted. The solid rotors were on the pre 80 models.
                2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                81 LH
                02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                Jim

Comment

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post
                  For clarification the G's / or 80s had the slotted rotors. My LG has slotted. The solid rotors were on the pre 80 models.
                  Slotted rotors came stock on the '80 and on US Specials, MNS's, Venturer and XJ 1100 models.

Solid rotors came stock on all Standard models and the '79 SF.

All stock disc rotors for the 1100 will interchange.
                  1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                  1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                  1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                  1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                  1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post
                    The XS1100G did not get slotted rotors. The XS1100H did. All Specials got the slots except for the SF.
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                      You're going to need a slight bend to the left on the in pipe on that muffler. approximately the same as the right bend in the header. I bet it'll sound good though.

That looks kinda like a Kerker header. Is it?

The problem with those is the ground clearance under the engine. You'll scrape and flatten it going in and out of driveways.
                      Not sure the brand, first glance didnt show any badging or stamped numbers/letters. The Duc cans do have a slight bend on the inlet pipe (not shown in pic) ill pull the factory pipes off and mock up the header. I'm getting some non-slotted rotors from Andreas. I'll be trying some different mock ups with the seat, rear fender, and possible taillight cowl. This seat is very wide, however I noticed that there is alot of trim room underneath if one (me) wanted to slim up the profile.
                      Matt
                      81H Rebirth/Custom Build

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur_of_Hex View Post
                        Not sure the brand, first glance didnt show any badging or stamped numbers/letters. The Duc cans do have a slight bend on the inlet pipe (not shown in pic) ill pull the factory pipes off and mock up the header. I'm getting some non-slotted rotors from Andreas. I'll be trying some different mock ups with the seat, rear fender, and possible taillight cowl. This seat is very wide, however I noticed that there is alot of trim room underneath if one (me) wanted to slim up the profile.
                        Hi Matt,

Here is the link for drilled rotors and the printable pattern courtesy of member DennyZ :

http://www.xs11.com/xs11-info/tech-t...rs-how-to.html

If your interested here's a pic of my '80G, only I doubled the pattern :

1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                        1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                        1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                        1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                        1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

I stand

corrected. Thanks for the info Marty.
                          2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                          81 LH
                          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                          22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                          Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Schming View Post
                            Hi Matt,

Here is the link for drilled rotors and the printable pattern courtesy of member DennyZ :

http://www.xs11.com/xs11-info/tech-t...rs-how-to.html

Thank you Sir! I'll make quick use of our press and cutting oil....will however need to invest in a chamfer bit.
                            Matt
                            81H Rebirth/Custom Build

Comment

TC or Greg, did one of you say that I wouldn't need the 750/850 rear because tha venturer comes with highway gearing? I thought I saw that but can't seem to find it.
                              Matt
                              81H Rebirth/Custom Build

Comment

The Venurer has the same gear stock as all XS11's but with the 17" tire on the rear it's taller geared than the special with the 16".

The special with the 16 AND the 850 FD is geared exactly the same as the standard with the 17. You can get the gearing a little taller on the standard with the 17 by adding the 850 FD.

Clear as mud?
                                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                                X