New Member Intro/81H Build, Icebreaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member Intro/81H Build, Icebreaker

Hey avid readers of new posts! Glad to be a new addition to the group. I tossed some tidbits in my profile, need to get some picture practice in from Onedrive, and get started on my 81H Restoration/Build. I've read the transmission threads at least 20 times now, preparing for the horror I'll find under the pan.
    The bike had a hard life before it was tossed in my lap, I googled the VIN and the rest will be history soon. I'm lucky enough to have a friend who's like a brother to me own a bike shop that I'm a mechanic at with him. Service, repair and full restoration is our game. I'll zap some links to my last build once I knock the cobwebs out of my forum skills. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas, especially listening (virtually) to the XS experts here. Maybe I'll be able to contribute to others, time will tell. Wrench, ride, rinse, repeat. Below is a link to my Onedrive folder on this project I just started today. As the fall and winter trudge on....I'll keep adding pics to the pile and hope into this lost soul.

Matt

http://1drv.ms/1s6cBRq
    Matt
    81H Rebirth/Custom Build
    1st Gen RX7; Audi quattro; Wrangler JK
    PanikSwitch Cycles - Brewer ME
    http://s48.photobucket.com/user/Arth...201100%20Build

Welcome Art. I clicked on your link but I don't have your password so that's as far as I got.

Open a photobucket account if you don't have one already, that's the easiest for posting pics here. Just paste the IMG code in your post and the pic will show.

The trans isn't really that difficult, just time consuming and frustrating at times. Just when you think you'll never get it back together it'll fall right into place.

If you can, the easiest way to work on it is with the bike flipped on it's back. Drain all the fluids and remove the oil pan before you turn it over though. That way all the crap in the bottom of the pan doesn't end up up in the top of the engine.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Greg, I'll look into photobucket. I completely no brained the onedrive link. Of course when I tested the link it worked....because I was signed into the site in another tab! I'm planning a frame off restoration and engine teardown/freshen up. Figure the trans will be in my hands anyways. I did study the upside down threads intensively. I did have a way to share the onedrive with my friends...I'll have to perform some more tests...
      Matt
      Matt
      81H Rebirth/Custom Build

Comment

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...t=folder%2cjpg

Lets try that again...
        Matt
        81H Rebirth/Custom Build

Comment

Did a frame off with a friend of mine on his SG a couple years ago. I got a few good pics of the trans fix when we did it.

Is the bike running now?

See the crap on the oil pump pickup screen? That was still left when I pulled the pan before I flipped the engine.

Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur_of_Hex View Post
            Still want's a password.......
            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Great pics, I actually cant wait to dig into it. Yes it runs..well, very well. When it came to the bike shop it wasn't. I spent a day adding missing bolts to calipers and such. Day two was dedicated to the carbs. Full disassembly, sonic cleaning and WHAMMO! nope not george michael retro..actual fire and run. Tossed on the carb sync tool and this bike became the best 4 cylinder I've ever tuned. Purrs on idle, as fast as you can snap the throttle open and back it bounces off 8 grand and then instantly back to idle. In the bike shop all the guys were circling the idling bike in awe. It was a great day. That was the day I decided to keep it and restore it this winter. Fast forward to right now.
              Matt
              81H Rebirth/Custom Build

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                Still want's a password.......
                I still don't get it. I signed out of every browser, closed them, wiped their history, then retried the link and went straight to the pics....sigh....
                Matt
                81H Rebirth/Custom Build

Comment

Hey there Matt,

Glad to see you made it to the forum. I didn't see a reply to my email, hopefully you were able to read about the many suggestions I provided to you in it regarding the tranny, carbs, brakes, cheap big bore kit, etc...

Now I'm trying to see if OneDrive will allow direct linking of photos to here?

Okay, that worked, but I had to rightclick and select view the Original FILE, and then copy the URL from the browser and then paste it, and it takes a little while to show it because it's loading the original file and it's full size/mb's!

Test #2

Okay, after looking at the original file image, the turn signals are not OEM, look like Honda clone substitutes. And I'm sure you noticed it, but your missing the lower left front engine/frame mount!

It has an oil cooler, but they aren't really needed, especially up there in Maine, unless you're going to be riding in some severe stop and go traffic. So...if you want to simplify things you can remove the coolerplate,and then just reattach the oil filter cup.

The exhaust looks like Specials...they are shorter and more upswept vs. straighter and extending more beyond the rear axle.

The handlebars also don't look stock either.

T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I'm impressed, I'm new to embedding photos from afar. I'm used to just adding them straight from the pc.

Yes, the old girl is quite a mess. I'm definitely going with new lights, new bars, full inspection of the entire wiring harness, deleting any of yamaha's silly relay that controls relay that controls relay that fails and keeps you thumbing it on the side of the road.

Even though you worked through the onedrive mystery, would you still recommend photobucket or some other picture hosting site?

Thanks
                    Matt
                    81H Rebirth/Custom Build

Comment

It has special bars and gauges. Judging by the engine side covers it also has an 81 engine.

What are the prefix numbers on the engine ID #?
                      Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Correction......those are standard gauges. I'll keep the glasses on.

That almost looks like an 81 Venturer.
                        Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Engine matches frame and starts with good old 4R1....my keen forum research skills taught me that it was an H.....however my above onedrive nonsense highlights my aforementioned skills, So, hopefully my search proved worthy.
                          Matt
                          81H Rebirth/Custom Build

Comment

My bad, I see you said it was an 81 in the first post.

That IS the correct exhaust for the Venturer.

THIS is what it's supposed to look like..
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Hmm, I'm no rocket scientist but I am noticing some slight differences between my pile of painted slag and the venturer pic....hmmmm
                              Matt
                              81H Rebirth/Custom Build

Comment

Working...
                              X