New Member Intro/81H Build, Icebreaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Mike,
    I think your Venturer is the finest example of the model.
    Thank you for keeping it and yoour other bikes in such good shape.
    Phil
    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Venturer

[Hi Phil,

Thanks for your vote of confidence. After searching for and obtaining as good of an example that I can find, getting/keeping them up and running is the right thing for me to do. My goal is to leave them as close to original as possible.

QUOTE=MaximPhil;451450]Hi Mike,
      I think your Venturer is the finest example of the model.
      Thank you for keeping it and yoour other bikes in such good shape.
      Phil[/QUOTE]
      1981 XS1100H Venturer
      K&N Air Filter
      ACCT
      Custom Paint by Deitz
      Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
      Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
      Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
      Stebel Nautilus Horn
      EBC Front Rotors
      Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Mike I totally agree with Phil's assessment ...I wish I had the resouces to do the same...alas at least i can with one bike...better than none. It is a pleasure and an honor to know and ride with you. I always look forward to seeing you and your fine XSs'...
        Sorry for the hijack folks...things can get a tad carried away...
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
          According to this article/picture that Greg posted, the Venturer appears not to have come with a seat backrest at all?
          Originally posted by BA80 View Post
          It looks like that luggage rack has a place for a sliding back rest in the pic though.
          Hi, Mike -

Here is a pic from the official Yamaha brochure for the H ... no backrest, but it appears to have the same mounting point for the backrest as in Greg's pic ...

By the way, your new H is a real beauty ... very, very nice!!

Marco

Current bikes:
          1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
          1979 Honda CBX
          2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
          WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
            Hey Matt,

That mini-fairing styling just doesn't seem to match the XS11.

T.C.
            This is exactly the feedback that will keep me somewhat out of the laughing stock.......we'll for the headlight anyways. That being said, since my oem bucket is splinters I've been eyeballing projectors, the streetfighter projectors in whatever shapes and sizes they come seem to keep my attention longest. Any suggestions while I keep searching? Thanks everyone
            Matt
            81H Rebirth/Custom Build
            1st Gen RX7; Audi quattro; Wrangler JK
            PanikSwitch Cycles - Brewer ME
            http://s48.photobucket.com/user/Arth...201100%20Build

Comment

A couple more for everyone's constructive criticism

Not a special light but enough plastic to politely ask the wind to go up a bit.

Being a veteran, there is a special place in my heart for gas masks.

Fire away folks!!
              Matt
              81H Rebirth/Custom Build

Comment

So at the bike shop today I decided to grab a set of super bike bars off the rack and try em out. I also noticed that the gauges were bolted above the tree and moved them down for a cleaner look. Have to say I do like these bars!

Please pay no mind to the factory bars hanging lifeless from the tach
                Matt
                81H Rebirth/Custom Build

Comment

Those aren't factory for that bike Matt. Those are special bars.

Check your PMs. I sent you a message.
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I switched to super bike bars and I love it. You just have to keep them tilted high enough so the controls don't chip your gas tank paint

I learned the hard way(as I almost always do)
                    78 E

Comment

don'tlet it fall

Mine fell off the sidestand and SMASHED into the tank..
                      might want to consider some risers....wish I would have
                      78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

I will definitely clearance check everything. This tank for some reason ISNT smashed, unlike the tanks of most of the other forgotten cycles that show up. I plan to keep it that way, unless the measurement gods decide to throw a literal wrench into the gears...wait....the gears ARE broken.....sigh
                        Matt
                        81H Rebirth/Custom Build

Comment

Hey Matt,

I hope you have long arms, or like to sit hunchbacked! If you're aiming for a more forward riding position, then you may want to check with James England, he can get you OEM UK type rearsets for the XS11 that are bolt-ons, vs trying to custom make some! JAT!

Aside from the worn dogs/slots of the gears, IF the PO was a severe abuser, then he may have discovered that HOLDING the shift lever down would keep pressure on the 4th/1st gear combo to keep it in 1st gear, and that can either both BEND the shift fork, or just grind it down since it's aluminum and the spinning gears are steel. Just more stuff to look out for when you dive in.

T.C.
                          T. C. Gresham
                          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                          History shows again and again,
                          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur_of_Hex View Post

Being a veteran, there is a special place in my heart for gas masks.

Fire away folks!!
                            Hi Matt,
                            As you have said you want to stay naked with this bike
                            I think the first light would look quite good with the different handlebars you are planning to use...and yes do check for clearance to preserve the tank.
                            I really do not like those round indicators on there. Perhaps some aftermarket teardrop shape to complement the light ?
                            The gas mask would be a very different direction.
                            Phil
                            1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                            1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                            2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                              Hey Matt,

I hope you have long arms, or like to sit hunchbacked! If you're aiming for a more forward riding position, then you may want to check with James England, he can get you OEM UK type rearsets for the XS11 that are bolt-ons, vs trying to custom make some! JAT!

Aside from the worn dogs/slots of the gears, IF the PO was a severe abuser, then he may have discovered that HOLDING the shift lever down would keep pressure on the 4th/1st gear combo to keep it in 1st gear, and that can either both BEND the shift fork, or just grind it down since it's aluminum and the spinning gears are steel. Just more stuff to look out for when you dive in.

T.C.
                              I think we discussed this before TC. The shift forks are steel.

But, they will still wear or bend from abuse.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                                Hi Matt,
                                I really do not like those round indicators on there. Perhaps some aftermarket teardrop shape to complement the light ?
                                The gas mask would be a very different direction.
                                Phil
                                Those round indicators will be at home on our parts shelves, as well as the rear fender, handlebars, and whatever else gets unbolted, plasma'd, cut or otherwise removed. Fret not parts collectors... When/as I disassemble and deem the parts unable to be used in the build, I'll list them here. I haven't yet chosen turn signals, soon though.
                                Matt
                                81H Rebirth/Custom Build

Comment

Working...
                                X