Weird electrical question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird electrical question

My power adapter won't work with the bike idling.

I have a power adapter with 2 USB ports in it, if the bike is off it works fine and if I'm going down the road it works fine. But, if the bike is idling it kicks the internal breaker in the adapter.

If I unplug it then plug it back in it'll come on for a few seconds then go off.

Regulator?

Other than that everything seems to work alright. Lights, ignition.....everything.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Interesting Greg. I would automatically assume the R/R. I'd be more inclined to say a possible grounding issue, or maybe the charger itself. I'd hate to recommend it, but maybe bump the fuse size up?
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

The old charger wasn't working at all, just bought this one.

What puzzles me is it works fine just on the battery or if I plug it in going down the highway at RPM it's fine but as soon as it drops down to around idle speed it kicks off.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

It may be picking up some spark interference from the secondary ignition side, especially if you aren't running a resistor plug/cap. A voltage spike can mess with cheaper electronic accessories too I have found. If all else fails, maybe a capacitor in paralell with the power lead may solve it. JAT
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Brand new resistor caps. It worked fine on the other fairing before I crashed it. This is the same power outlet from that one though.
          Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Greg,
            My thoughts would be that at idle, any voltage drop below 12v could cause it to shut down, built in to keep damaging internal componets. I know when the Bentley fist had signs(unknowingly) of voltages dropping, the Apine deck would shut down, like kinda go into 'limp mode' at a stop, sitting at idle.......take off, it would start back up again Haven't a clue how all that works, but it IS done intentionally with voltage drops below what they should be to keep from damaging internally. I'm sure 3Phase or T.C., or someone that knows electronics can explain better the reason for that.

Least I know in the future that'll be a tattle-tale sign in my bikes case.

JAT.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

But why does it work just fine on the battery only with the engine not running?
              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                But why does it work just fine on the battery only with the engine not running?
                Your volt meter has the answer. Key off......betcha got in the neighborhood of 12.5-12.8v.........running at idle....possible 11.6-11.9v......pull the headlite bulb......bet it'll work.

Sounds like a possible low voltage issue starting to rear its ugly head..

Again.....JAT.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

It worked fine before. Low voltage won't shut it off.

I think there's a diode going south. I'm gonna try swapping out the regulator.
                  Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

My guess would be that's part of what the internal breaker is for.

Like I said, make those checks, just for grins.

Another sign of a failing prim. ignition connection, creating resistance, is if you still use a servicable wet cell lead acid battery, and have to occassionally add distilled water, that is also a sign of a voltage loss issue.....somewhere in the primary circuit. Voltage regulater doen't know that......it just does its thing according to what's missin', which is before the battery......cosequently, the battery gets feed back WAY more than it is actually using........but you already knew that.
                    Since your zoned in on the regulater, those grounding wires there would be a good place to start.

Comment

No ofense intended BA80, just in a smart-ass mood............but, what I threw out there DOES hold water(no pun intended).

Comment

BA, does the USB adapter kick off with just the adapter by itself connected or when you have something plugged into it?

Brant's got an idea with the low-voltage protection. If the system voltage goes low it can damage the USB adapter or whatever is plugged into the adapter like the mobile phone or its battery and the adapter shuts down so nothing bizarre happens like trying to raise the voltage on your bike with a cellphone battery.

Other than that -- not a clue!

-- Scott
                        _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                        1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                        1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                        1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                        1979 XS1100F: parts
                        2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

On just battery power it stays on, on just battery power with the key on engine off it stays on, if I hold the rpms above 2500 it stays on, if it drops to an idle it flashes a couple times and goes off.

With nothing plugged into it.
                          Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

At idle, too much AC in the line, when you rev it up, the regulator kicks in and smooths things out. Yes, a large capacitor across the adapter leads will help, if you've any try 500 mfd / 50v. You can parallel them to add em up.
                            Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                              On just battery power it stays on, on just battery power with the key on engine off it stays on, if I hold the rpms above 2500 it stays on, if it drops to an idle it flashes a couple times and goes off.

With nothing plugged into it.
                              Hmm... if it works with just the battery voltage when the engine's not running, what's the voltage at the adapter? Is the Headlight Relay bypassed so the headlight comes on before the engine starts?

Randy's got an idea there too.

What's the voltage at the adapter when the engine's running and the adapter shuts off? Check the voltage where the adapter plugs in, not at the battery or somewhere else that's easy to get to, and let the engine run at the RPM where the adapter would shut down. If you can't check the voltage with the adapter plugged in, take it out, run the engine and just pretend the adapter is flashing and shutting off while you check the voltage.

-- Scott
                              _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                              1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                              1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                              1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                              1979 XS1100F: parts
                              2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Working...
                              X