New in town

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by motoman View Post
    All but empty.......6.5gal. to the top....but you'll wanna immediatley be 'riding' some of that off the top.
    I did that today...topped off so high that it did overflow...it got ridden off right away though...
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Anyone tell me what this is on my bike and where the hose coming out is suppose to go?
      Last edited by MichaelisEvolving; 07-28-2014, 07:42 PM.
      79 XS 1100 midnight special frame with an 81 XS 1100 engine or as I like to call it "Mad Max".

Comment

That's your breather for the crank case. It goes to a nipple in the center of the stock air box.

People who run pod filters rig a smaller filter on there to keep crud from getting into the engine. Still gotta smell the crank case vapors though.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Cause I noticed that the hose isn't connected to anything and I was wondering how bad that is?
          79 XS 1100 midnight special frame with an 81 XS 1100 engine or as I like to call it "Mad Max".

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelisEvolving View Post
            Cause I noticed that the hose isn't connected to anything and I was wondering how bad that is?
            Just bad in the sense that any blow-by will be syphoned out with increase ease since it's hangin' lower than crankcase........better get that took care of.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Just bad in the sense that any blow-by will be syphoned out with increase ease since it's hangin' lower than crankcase........better get that took care of.
              What is blow-by and what do I need to connect it to?

Comment

What is blow-by and what do I need to connect it to?
                Combustion blown by rings into crankcase.
                Since you choose to not use the stock airbox, most just use a tiny filter and plug it onto where that hose is hooked now.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

It looks like it's got some serious front forks assembly upgrade, note the dual piston calipers!!
                  Umm......... did anyone else notice it's only got one front disc and caliper??
                  Having a 2 pot caliper isn't as big a step forward after halving the available braking power by deleting a complete assembly
                  79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
                  Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
                  *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
                  *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

Combustion blown by rings into crankcase.
                    Since you choose to not use the stock airbox, most just use a tiny filter and plug it onto where that hose is hooked now.
                    Where can I get one? Auto zone?

Comment

- - - Anyone tell me what this is on my bike and where the hose coming out is suppose to go?
                      Hi Michael,
                      it's ergonomics are not for this elderly fat man but a nice bike anyway.
                      Like they said, it's the crankcase breather.
                      The EPA Nazis made the mfrs feed it back through the carbs via the airbox but it can happily blow out onto the street just like on my 16H Norton.
                      Or, as the photo shows your drive u-joint is missing it's rubber boot, have it blow oil fumes onto the u-joint to keep the rust off.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Michael, as your bike is a work in progress, just wondering if you're going to put the other front disc on with a caliper, or stay as is? Despite the fact that you've removed a bit of weight through stripping the excess bits off, it's still a very heavy bike, and that single disc on the front will struggle to pull the bike up in an emergency, despite the 2 pot caliper.
                        Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
                        *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar

Comment

Originally posted by Eveready1100 View Post
                          Michael, as your bike is a work in progress, just wondering if you're going to put the other front disc on with a caliper, or stay as is? Despite the fact that you've removed a bit of weight through stripping the excess bits off, it's still a very heavy bike, and that single disc on the front will struggle to pull the bike up in an emergency, despite the 2 pot caliper.
                          I got it with only one on it. Eventually I'll probably put the other one on, I also need to get the back brake working as well. I also need to adjust the valves and it needs the needles in the carbs adjusted. I'm getting there, it's just taking some time. Hahaha.

Comment

Also, one other thing that Fred pointed out, that you're missing the rubber boot that covers the universal joint. Best to get your hands on one of those and fit it, as the rear driveshaft splines will suffer badly (probably catastrophically) from the ingress of water etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Eveready1100 View Post
                              Also, one other thing that Fred pointed out, that you're missing the rubber boot that covers the universal joint. Best to get your hands on one of those and fit it, as the rear driveshaft splines will suffer badly (probably catastrophically) from the ingress of water etc.
                              Anyone selling one of these boots?

Comment

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nk...1+&_itemId=463
                                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                                X