New in town

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New in town

I'm new, to biking, to this forum, and my first bike is a xs1100. It was only a frame and my friend got it to the point of running but it's cafe style. I bought it and he's been teaching me everything. From modifying it to repairs to maintenance. Just got my license and have been riding but I'm still very new. Just wanted to drop in a say hello.
    79 XS 1100 midnight special frame with an 81 XS 1100 engine or as I like to call it "Mad Max".

Welcome to the site, as well as the XS world. Remember to take it easy on the XS11-- it's big, heavy, and fast. A few pics would be cool.
    79 F
    Previously owned: (among others)
    1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
    1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
    1973 Suzuki TM 125
    1979 XS1100 F
    2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
    1991 BMW K75

Comment

Welcome!

Take a motorcycle safety course and practice practice practice.

Pics always welcome.

John
      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

welcome

Would love to see pics of the bike. You have chosen quite a powerful bike to start learning on. +1 on taking a driver safety course.
        2 - 80 LGs bought one new
        81 LH
        02 FXSTB Nighttrain
        22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
        Jim

Comment

I already took a course, which is how I got my license. In Florida you have to take a class to get it. I'll post a picture in just a bit.
          79 XS 1100 midnight special frame with an 81 XS 1100 engine or as I like to call it "Mad Max".

Comment

http://instagram.com/p/ogPluLhBbE/

Last edited by MichaelisEvolving; 07-25-2014, 12:23 PM.

Comment

The picture was before I started fixing it up a bit. I'll post a more recently one when I get home.

Comment

Looks like it used to be an 81 Venturer........
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                  Looks like it used to be an 81 Venturer........
                  I don't know much about bikes but the title and vin match and it puts the frame as a 79 xs1100. Is a venturer a yamaha?

Comment

The Venturer is the 81 standard XS. It was built pretty much exclusively for touring and is one of the most sought after XS's.

I can see that it is (used to be) a standard however there's a special tank on it. The reason I said it was an 81 is the engine side cover with Yamaha with a circle around it was only in 81.

What are the first 3 numbers/letters in the VIN on the bike itself? It'll be up on the steering head.
                    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Franken bike

Micheal.. a term used around here for a bike that has various different years of parts. Could be what is going on with this bike..

about the only thing I saw from the first pic is looked like the motor and frame are close to original.
                      2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                      81 LH
                      02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                      22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                      Jim

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                        The Venturer is the 81 standard XS. It was built pretty much exclusively for touring and is one of the most sought after XS's.

I can see that it is (used to be) a standard however there's a special tank on it. The reason I said it was an 81 is the engine side cover with Yamaha with a circle around it was only in 81.

What are the first 3 numbers/letters in the VIN on the bike itself? It'll be up on the steering head.
                        Once I get home I'll post more pictures of the bike and tell you the first few, but yeah now that I think about it, when my friend said special he was referring to the tank.

Comment

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post
                          Micheal.. a term used around here for a bike that has various different years of parts. Could be what is going on with this bike..

about the only thing I saw from the first pic is looked like the motor and frame are close to original.
                          Haha! Yeah it is a bit of a Frankenstein going on! I'm learning so much already. I'm glad you guys explain a bit cause I feel pretty ignorant about my bike and bikes. I'm sure that will subside as I learn more. Haha!

Comment

LOL......Mike the Frankenbike.

Gotta kid ya.......
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

This is the 1981 Venturer with 6 gal. tank and all the other touring goodies...this one is owned by Motoman in Colorado....
                              Oh... Welcome to CH11 Mike...

1980 XS650G Special-Two
                              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                              X