No announcement yet.

Can someone IDENTIFY THIS BIKE???????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In 30 + years a lot of stuff can happen. 750/850 FD swap, rear shock swap, owner swap.........

I had a 79 fender, seat, and tail light on my 80 for a long time. My front triple tree and forks are from the same SH the FD on The Green Hornet was off of. I have a black highlighted valve cover from that same bike on my SG

EEHHHHHH.........read my signature.
    Last edited by BA80; 05-20-2014, 07:36 PM.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Prisoner6 View Post
      But it's a little puzzling, Greg ... I've seen '81 Specials with silver FD's, and also some with black FD's ...
      These bikes have been around for 35 years or so. Parts get replaced. Replacing a final drive is easy. The original final drive on a XS1100SH was black.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
        These bikes have been around for 35 years or so. Parts get replaced. Replacing a final drive is easy. The original final drive on a XS1100SH was black.
        Dat's two.......gettin closer..........but Greg already covered that........OOPPss....forgot Prisoner's Midnite........three and counting...
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Thanks, guys ...
          Marco

Current bikes:
          1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
          1979 Honda CBX
          2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
          WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Hint:........only one left...........this side the pond anyways..
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Back to Dylano's pic, Maxim650(XJ), XS11wheels........seat/fender mods........Frankinbike.

Comment

I'll agree with those whom said it was a XS11 Special. Slots on the later wheels were diagonal, and I don't believe that is a reflection I'm seeing, it looks like actual slots. Exhaust looks stock. Ignition cover is unique to the XS11 only due to the vacuum pod. No other XS/XJ had this ignition cover as TomB and Dylano have already pointed out. The footrest hanger is definitely XS11. No doubt in my mind, it's a cosmetically modified XS1100.
                Last edited by IanDMacDonald; 05-20-2014, 09:29 PM.
                1979 XS1100F
                2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                  I'll agree with those whom said it was a XS11 Special. Slots on the later wheels were diagonal, and I don't believe that is a reflection I'm seeing, it looks like actual slots.
                  He already said it is abaolutly clear that there are no slots in the real picture
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights
                  Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines
                  Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Buckmaster79 View Post
                    On a 81 the rear drive is black also.
                    You nailed it from the beginning ... Sorry about that, Rod ...

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                    Might wanna re-think that Prisoner6..
                    Brant, thank you for pointing out my mistake! Thanks to you and the others here, I learn something new about our bikes nearly every day ...
                    Marco

Current bikes:
                    1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
                    1979 Honda CBX
                    2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
                    WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

So has it been determined to be an 81 xs11?? Or?
                      I'm confused haha

Thank you all for your valuable information thus far though!
                      Have:
                      1994 FZR600
                      1982 XJ1100

Had:
                      1996 YZF600R
                      2001 Honda xr125
                      Suzuki race 80
                      Honda PW 50
                      Etc.

Getting:
                      1977 DT400

Comment

Dylano, any chance of you rescanning the original photo in a higher resolution to give a clearer image for us to speculate on?
                        Shouldn't be any reason for a good scan not to be just as clear as an original snapshot.

For my guesstimate, I'm saying a lighly customised '79 SF with different rear guard and seat. Shock reflectors could've been just glued on even.

Another thing to consider is that though things do change in the 30 years since these bikes were built, that's an old photo which could be up to 25 - 30 years old itself. Dylano, how long ago was that pic taken?
                        Last edited by Eveready1100; 06-02-2014, 06:03 AM.
                        79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
                        Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
                        *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
                        *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

I will get a good scan of the image (that pic was taken with my phone)
                          And I will also be back with the exact year taken.
                          Have:
                          1994 FZR600
                          1982 XJ1100

Had:
                          1996 YZF600R
                          2001 Honda xr125
                          Suzuki race 80
                          Honda PW 50
                          Etc.

Getting:
                          1977 DT400

Comment