I killed my helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some excellent points made by XJOK2PLAY in post #29 -

Personally, there are times when I would like to ride without a helmet, but IMHO, the advantages of not wearing one

absolutely do not outweigh the advantages of wearing one. That's why I always, and I do mean always, wear

a helmet, no matter where I'm riding or how short the trip. And XJOK2PLAY, thanks for mentioning the

Alpinestars jacket. I've been looking for one with chest protection, and this one looks like it might be just the ticket for me.

http://www.alpinestars.com/t-gp-plus-r-air-jacket/
    Marco

Current bikes:
    1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
    1979 Honda CBX
    2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
    WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Thanks, Prisoner6.

If you decide to get one of these jackets, here's what I've experienced so far...

I ordered one in LG, according to their sizing chart, and the size I normally wear in other brands. I also ordered the matching "Stella" model for my GF, and expected it to be identical...
      Appearance-wise, it was very close.
      But, the Stella jacket does NOT have chest protection.
      Also, hers... Even though she ordered an XLG, was way too small.
      My LG fit her.
      Usually, my LG jackets swallow her, and are way too big. But not in this one.

So, I decided to keep mine, give it to her, and send the Stella back.
      I have ordered the XLG for me. That way, they both will be exactly the same. Hope I don't have to get the 2XL!

Not sure why they do that, and their sizing seems to run about one to two sizes smaller than you might think.

But, after actually seeing them in person, it looks like a high quality jacket.
      Ours will be the red/white/black colors.
      Last edited by XJOK2PLAY; 03-18-2014, 07:25 AM.
      '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
      "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Good info, Bob ... Thanks! It is Bob, isn't it?

Yeah, it's been my experience that the sizing of each brand of gear is almost always different, no matter what you're buying (gloves, boots,

helmets, jackets, etc.) I remember buying a jacket one time - tried on 3 different brands, all size LG; one was too small,

one was too big, and one fit perfectly ...

I'll definitely be checking out the Alpinestars ...
        Last edited by Prisoner6; 03-19-2014, 07:00 AM.
        Marco

Current bikes:
        1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
        1979 Honda CBX
        2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
        WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Ordered my new helmet today. Same brand and pretty much the same as I had except this one is black matte instead of black gloss.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261269074075...84.m1439.l2649
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
            Ordered my new helmet today. Same brand and pretty much the same as I had except this one is black matte instead of black gloss.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261269074075...84.m1439.l2649
            You should get one we can see!

Safety cone orange!
            Last edited by jetmechmarty; 04-19-2014, 07:43 AM.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Sorry, that's just not me Marty. Like Tod says, everything I own is either black or light black.

It's just a carry over from when I was a kid. I never could stay clean so black became my official color (or neutral).
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I was wearing my helmet, armored jacket, riding shoes and jeans. Like an idiot, i didn't have my gloves on. I always have my damn gloves on but for some reason didn't put them on when I left . Only road rash i have is on the back of my left hand and a spot on the back of my right hand. The gloves protected the shelf they were sitting on very well. lol. Helmet is scraped up on the left side but nothing appears broken. I will replace it anyway before I ride again.
                Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                '82 XJ1100
                '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Hey Greg- I bought a cheap Gmax modular from the shop over the Winter. Can't say I'm IMPRESSED with it by any means, but it's an okay helmet. They say that you should pay what you think your head is worth, but I disagree. I have an older $600+ Arai helmet that is all scratched-up, and was just okay. Nothing about either one stand-out as being any less cheap or expensive than the other. I guess I don't understand why a Shoei/Arai is $600+, and mine is $100+.
                  1979 XS1100F
                  2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

As I said, this one is almost exactly like the one I killed but it's black matte instead of gloss black. I survived smacking the pavement twice with my head installed and even though it should have been replaced anyway I probably would have kept using it had I not bounced it down the turnpike.

These Hawk helmets are really quite nice and the only complaint I had with the one before was if I left it on for too long it would pinch my ear lobes but even if that happened I could adjust it a little while riding and relieve the discomfort.

It is D.O.T. approved so it has passed the same testing the Shoei or Arai did even though it doesn't have the expensive name stamped on it. The same reason most people who own them buy Harleys.
                    Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

What it comes down to is what helmet is going to be comfortable for you. Under the right circumstance a DOT half shell may protect your head as well as a full face helmet. The money is mostly about comfort features, IMHO.

webBikeWorld helmet reviews can be very helpful. Revzilla has a video review of almost every helmet they sell. I think these are a couple of great tools for picking out a helmet.
                      Marty (in Mississippi)
                      XS1100SG
                      XS650SK
                      XS650SH
                      XS650G
                      XS6502F
                      XS650E

Comment

Hey Greg,
                        That's a pretty full- featured helmet for $79!

I wish my Scorpion had the internal visor... I got the EXO-700.
                        I think to get the internal visor I'd have to go with either the 900 or 1000.

The problem is, I love the fit of the one I got!
                        I also have an HJC and it has one, but I hate the way it fits and feels.
                        It's a $200 helmet, and pretty high quality, but I don't like the inside materials nearly as well.

I've always wanted a modular for the extra convenience, but not sure how one would fair if you ever face-plant somewhere...
                        Wouldn't the lower portion come off, leaving your jaw and lower face unprotected?

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfoot View Post
                          I was wearing my helmet, armored jacket, riding shoes and jeans. Like an idiot, i didn't have my gloves on. I always have my damn gloves on but for some reason didn't put them on when I left . Only road rash i have is on the back of my left hand and a spot on the back of my right hand. The gloves protected the shelf they were sitting on very well. lol. Helmet is scraped up on the left side but nothing appears broken. I will replace it anyway before I ride again.
                          Dang, Harry!
                          Sounds like your helmet did it's job!
                          Tough way to work on yer memory skills about the gloves... Ouch!

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

I also liked to ride without a helmet until I put on my bike best brake pads for harley davidson, unused to braking at 50 miles and flew over the handlebars, spent two months in the hospital with a concussion, after that I always wear a helmet wherever I go.

Comment

I wasn't planning to have this accident in 2016. The helmet still hangs in my garage as a constant reminder. I would not have wanted to go through this without a helmet. As it was, I suffered a concussion.
                              Marty (in Mississippi)
                              XS1100SG
                              XS650SK
                              XS650SH
                              XS650G
                              XS6502F
                              XS650E

Comment

If you ride two wheels long enough you generally will eventually kill a helmet. Had an idiot slam their brakes on in front of my while riding by 2002 HD Night train and in a split second I was sliding down the road on my chest and helmet. Kept the helmet as a reminder. With all the texting and driving that occurs today you have to drive more defensively then ever before.
                                2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                                81 LH
                                02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                                22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                                Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X